Which Mavic rim for a Cross bike?

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Which Mavic rim for a Cross bike?

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:55 am

Question for you bike building experts...

I am building up a Specialized Sirrus frame. I am trying to choose one of the Mavic wheels... which one would you choose and why?

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/rims_range.2.aspx

I am building it up like a cross bike, but with flat bars. As such, it'll probably have tires like the Continental Travel Contact (28c) or the Vittoria Cross XG Pro (32c).

Any suggestions?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mk10108 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am

Road bike 2003 Trek 1000- Switched to CXP 33 14 ga. 36 spoke tigara hubs from stock Alex 450's 32 spoke no name hub. Using Connie gators 28mm.

My weight + bike is 287 and the difference is night & day.

I upgraded because I stood up to power over a small berm and blew a spoke - 13 miles to get home. After the switch, I went back over the same berm, stood up and almost launched myself airborne. All the power went to the wheel instead of flexing the rim.
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 am

I'm a roadie so I'm not up on psycho-cross rims but, spoke gauge, count and lacing pattern have as much effect on wheel performance as the rims do.. the old fashioned 36 spoke 3 cross pattern and 14 gauge spokes is strong on pretty much any rim.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:23 pm

I think Mike is talking more a fitness bike.. that type of cross bike, not real cycle cross riding.

Mike I will have to look at the various wheel sets they have.. I don't know all the current stock off the top of my head.

I have a few crossmaxes myself... which I love, and am hoping to buy some tubeless wheels for my 29er.

We have been gone this morning.. and will be heading out again shortly.. so it will have to be later.

oh.. and I do have some of the Ksyriums also
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Re: Which Mavic rim for a Cross bike?

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:Question for you bike building experts...

I am building up a Specialized Sirrus frame. I am trying to choose one of the Mavic wheels... which one would you choose and why?

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/rims_range.2.aspx

I am building it up like a cross bike, but with flat bars. As such, it'll probably have tires like the Continental Travel Contact (28c) or the Vittoria Cross XG Pro (32c).

Any suggestions?

Mike...

for a deeper answer.. I would want to ask you a lot of questions.. but.. to start with.. you have linked to rims.. vs wheels. Off the top of my head and with out all the other questions, I would recommend one of their wheel sets..

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/whee ... 1.237.aspx
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Glenn,

You linked to a bunch of road wheels.

I am looking for a 700c cross wheel.

I typically use clinchers. I had narrowed my choice down to the Mavic A319 or the Mavic CXP22.

Since I already have Mavic CXP22's on my Bianchi Axis, I am thinking of getting the Mavic A319, just to be different. The A319 are a bit wider, which might be a little softer ride.

Your thoughts...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Okay I just ordered the A319 wheelset... wish me luck!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Mike, I have been looking at Cyclecross bikes for the past month to use as a commuter. It's either that or a good touring bike like the Surly LHT, etc. I need a frame and wheels that can handle my size.

Had my eye on the Specialized Sequoia because I like the mix of having drops but with a very relaxed stance. Unfortunately Specialized is discontinuing the Sequoia.

Are you building your bike from the frame up with the Sirrus? Please keep us informed of your choices. Thanks.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Scott,

Last year I moved all the components from my Sirrus over to a Surley Cross Check. After riding it all summer, I decided to move those components back to my Sirrus frame. The sirrus geometry allowed for a suspension seat post, while the Surley did not.

I test rode the Sequoia last year, but did not like it. It was too much of a comfort bike.

I ended up with a Specialized Cross trail for the bike paths, and the Sirrus for everything else. Now I am playing with the components of the Sirrus... the A319 wheels of course, and a carbon fiber handlebar.

There is a bike for you. I spent a couple hours in the LBS today, which sells Giants and Specialized... and I know there is a bike in there for you.

Check out the Giant Rapid if you want a comfort bike... well, that's my idea of a comfort bike... Also check out the Sirrus... However, if you really want to get cushy, and don't mind the extra pounds, the Specialized Crosstrail will go anywhere. Just be sure to get a fork with a lockout.

Mike...

Here's some Rapids for you to look at...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bik ... 400/39715/

and here are some Sirrus's...
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... emId=12189
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 pm

mikeschn wrote:Glenn,

You linked to a bunch of road wheels.

I am looking for a 700c cross wheel.

I typically use clinchers. I had narrowed my choice down to the Mavic A319 or the Mavic CXP22.

Since I already have Mavic CXP22's on my Bianchi Axis, I am thinking of getting the Mavic A319, just to be different. The A319 are a bit wider, which might be a little softer ride.

Your thoughts...

Mike...

I know that..
that is what I would personally use.. and generally recommend..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 am

there really is no distinction between road wheels and cross wheels. 700c wheels.. are generically called road wheels.. vs a 26" mountain bike wheel.

When asking a question like that... it really helps to know your objectives... your budget.. what you are replacing and what are you looking to change from what you replaced. Do you want something more durbable.. something faster? There are many differing objectives.. and on the bike your building up.. any of the wheels you have recommended, and I have recommended will do fine.

I have an old Cannondale cycle cross bike I have used it for serious off road use. I have 105 hubs and cpx22 rims.. they are fine.

If I was to try and upgrade the bike the first thing I would do is replace the wheels. The Ksyriums would be faster and stronger.

the 319 will be a stout wheel.. and the extra width should give you a little more air volume in a given tire size..
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Well, the order has been placed... I'll be getting the A319's.

Thanks for your help Glenn.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mk10108 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:55 pm

mikeschn wrote:Scott,

Last year I moved all the components from my Sirrus over to a Surley Cross Check. After riding it all summer, I decided to move those components back to my Sirrus frame. The sirrus geometry allowed for a suspension seat post, while the Surley did not.

How did you like the Surly?
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Return to Bicycles