Here's The Ultimate Road Bike...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby afreegreek » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Nancy and I were riding the University Parks Trail (Toledo) one day and doing our usual 18 Mph (this is a mountain bike tandem) and passed some guy with a tricked out road single. We hear the gears clash behind us as he tries to catch us and Nancy slaps me between the shoulder blades and says "push it". The bike has 110 PSI slicks and tall gears and we were shortly going 28MPH and he could not catch us :twisted:
no doubt. a tandem is always going to be faster than a single all other things being equal.. you have two motors and not much more drag than one.. you won't win going up hill though unless you can really sync as a pair.
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Noob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:perhaps my ultimate bike 8)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/i ... ndem-24472

Yeah, its aero ... but, :) its not this : Image

( Keeps the arguing factor, down . )

is that what you have?
they make nice bikes.. friends have one

No , I do not own that tandem, or any... but if I ever need one, and have 15K burning a hole in my pocket ...

I just seen one at last years TOSRV, thought I'd share.

I was on this sweet machine :

/ end thread hi-jack.

Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Tandem people Are

WELL CONNECTED
WELL BALANCED
IN SYNC
TWOGETHER

The farther you go the closer you are
You can actually hold a conversation with your partner
If you get lost you are not alone
You make friends (everyone likes to draft a tandem)
Tuneups take half as long

Faster than either one would be separately
Serious you have to be to pay this much for a bicycle

There is no other activity where the accomplishments
of teamwork are more pronounced than with a tandem

ONLY ONE OF YOU HAS TO BE ABLE TO SEE

tune ups don't take half as long... :roll:

I love tandems... currently own 3.. tune ups are a pain...
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:02 pm

afreegreek wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:Nancy and I were riding the University Parks Trail (Toledo) one day and doing our usual 18 Mph (this is a mountain bike tandem) and passed some guy with a tricked out road single. We hear the gears clash behind us as he tries to catch us and Nancy slaps me between the shoulder blades and says "push it". The bike has 110 PSI slicks and tall gears and we were shortly going 28MPH and he could not catch us :twisted:
no doubt. a tandem is always going to be faster than a single all other things being equal.. you have two motors and not much more drag than one.. you won't win going up hill though unless you can really sync as a pair.

syncing the "motors" can be a real issue. I know plenty of tandem couples that are not faster than the faster person is alone.. :thinking:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:

is that what you have?

No , I do not own that tandem, or any... but if I ever need one, and have 15K burning a hole in my pocket ...

/ end thread hi-jack.

I am not making out what it is.. but it appears to be an early 80's vintage... :thinking: [with newer wheels][and pedals]
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

actually here's the ultimate road bike... :D

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1030474 ... mKwVRYKiVT
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Fenlason wrote:actually here's the ultimate road bike... :D

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1030474 ... mKwVRYKiVT

I have many bikes.. 3 tandems.. but I also have one of these.. I call it Bob..

Big Orange Bike.. It is my fast tandem.. :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 pm

We are very much in sync and communications is key to begin with, now it is second nature. Tuneups are twice as fast when you have one bike as oposed to two separate. I went with SS and Teflon lined cables and full synthetic grease. Wheels are Rino 48 spoke four cross rims assembled with a tensometer and have not needed truing in 11 years
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We are very much in sync and communications is key to begin with, now it is second nature. Tuneups are twice as fast when you have one bike as oposed to two separate. I went with SS and Teflon lined cables and full synthetic grease. Wheels are Rino 48 spoke four cross rims assembled with a tensometer and have not needed truing in 11 years

I am a pro wrench.. and if they are both in the same condition.. I myself can not tune up a tandem as fast as I can a single bike.... my co-workers at the shop can and will work on them, but if they have the opportunity to pass it off on me, they will. It can be rather interesting to shift the bike in the stand.. and look closely at a rear deraileur as it shifts.. as the same time. I know my arms are not long enough to do that.. :thinking:

My sync comment was to afreegeek.. while "on paper" a tandem should be faster.. it is not always the case. syncing can be work, and it many cases it is not the lack of communication.

I agree lots of communication is very important when starting out. I just took a couple out today for the first tandem ride... giving them some pointers.

My wife and I was quite comfortable on our tandems.. and have 10's of thousands of miles on them. We are synced quite well, and we are fairly fast.

But not all couples are that way.

If couples have very different fitness levels.. and very different pedaling styles.. and one does not even care about going fast.. no amount of communication will over come that. Off the top of my head.. I know 6 couples that are slower on the tandem.. then one of the riders is alone.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby afreegreek » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:We are very much in sync and communications is key to begin with, now it is second nature. Tuneups are twice as fast when you have one bike as oposed to two separate. I went with SS and Teflon lined cables and full synthetic grease. Wheels are Rino 48 spoke four cross rims assembled with a tensometer and have not needed truing in 11 years

I am a pro wrench.. and if they are both in the same condition.. I myself can not tune up a tandem as fast as I can a single bike.... my co-workers at the shop can and will work on them, but if they have the opportunity to pass it off on me, they will. It can be rather interesting to shift the bike in the stand.. and look closely at a rear deraileur as it shifts.. as the same time. I know my arms are not long enough to do that.. :thinking:

My sync comment was to afreegeek.. while "on paper" a tandem should be faster.. it is not always the case. syncing can be work, and it many cases it is not the lack of communication.

I agree lots of communication is very important when starting out. I just took a couple out today for the first tandem ride... giving them some pointers.

My wife and I was quite comfortable on our tandems.. and have 10's of thousands of miles on them. We are synced quite well, and we are fairly fast.

If couples have very different fitness levels.. and very different pedaling styles.. and one does not even care about going fast.. no amount of communication will over come that. Off the top of my head.. I know 6 couples that are slower on the tandem.. then one of the riders is alone.
very true. that's why I said ..all things being equal.. I've been with a few pairs that were really good together and they could ride away from the group at will. really steep or really long grades were the only thing that slowed them down. in those places their syncing would fall apart a bit..
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:04 pm

afreegreek wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

very true. that's why I said ..all things being equal.. I've been with a few pairs that were really good together and they could ride away from the group at will. really steep or really long grades were the only thing that slowed them down. in those places their syncing would fall apart a bit..

We ride pretty good [used to be faster] :roll: We have friends that also tandem... and they move right along also. They showed up at a fairly aggressive road ride south of here. Someone approached them before the ride and said. " you know this is a fast ride?" Greg asked what they averaged.. they responded.. and he thought they would be ok.. They dropped most of the other riders.. :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Noob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:
Fenlason wrote:
Noob wrote:

is that what you have?

/ end thread hi-jack.

I am not making out what it is.. but it appears to be an early 80's vintage... :thinking: [with newer wheels][and pedals]

Nothing special just a steel ( cro-mo ) bianchi sometning or other, with awesome top of the line shimano 300 exage ... :roll: Little brother had to get rid of it, original owner & imported it from eastern europe. ( back in the day. )

Newer performance forte/titan wheel set & crank brothers eggbeater pedals, just needs a newer saddle and smaller traditional ( non-ergo )handlebars.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Bicycles