Camping and Food Poll...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What do you generally eat when camping?

Prepared foods that I can microwave or warm in a pan.
19%
Fresh meats and vegetables cooked from scratch.
81%

Total votes : 80

Postby campinwi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 pm

It depends where I am camping and whom I am with. Most of the time I cook from scratch. Last year I made a lot of sauces, vacuum packed them then froze them. That way all I had to do was boil water, put the bag in and let it warm up. Kept the cooler colder, clean up was easier. I also precooked chicken and ground beef, stored them the same way. I will also bring frozen vegetables.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Once I tried to prepare some [pasta ahead of time to save on prep work and froze it to keep in the cooler - when we thawed it - It was like the consistency of oatmeal - yuk - learned the lesson and prepared meals on site. To save on weight, we often wait till we get to the campground to buy fresh groceries in a nearby town and it also gives us a chance to explore the surroundings
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 pm

starleen2 wrote:
Once I tried to prepare some [pasta ahead of time to save on prep work and froze it to keep in the cooler - when we thawed it - It was like the consistency of oatmeal - yuk -

I found some rice pasta that has energy saving cooking instructions. You put the pasta in boiling water, bring it back to a boil for 2 minutes and then turn the heat off, put a lid on it and let it sit for 20 minutes. It is then ready for serving. If you like your pasta warmer, you can turn the heat back on for a minute or so at the end of the time. Again, this was for rice pasta; but, you might try it with wheat pasta.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Any time it's for more than myself, I try to cook fresh stuff. After a long day of driving or a late night arrival however...might just be a box of mac N cheese, can of chili or a sandwich. A frozen pot pie fits just fine in a 8" do and can cook unattended while I set up camp. I always have a back up quick fix meal in the trailer. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 pm

caseydog wrote:
And, I often prep my ingredients at home, and put them in plastic containers to take camping, where I combine them when I cook. I consider that cooking from scratch, too.

CD

CD, That's what I do too. I love to cook outdoors and the chopping and cutting is some times hard to do.

I love it when Bob Henry and Vicky come to the gatherings because, as you can see, they "love to cook". :applause:
Coincidently, "I love to eat". :thumbsup: :applause:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mwallace61 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Older I get, the fresher I want. When I quit smokin' a couple years ago, I dumped on the weight. Now I'm slowly workin' it off by eatin' right....
mwallace61
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 am

As a consistant SOLO camper, I always bring sum of the SAME things...pre-scrambled eggs in a tupperware container, breakfast sausage, and canned juices( a few different kinds fer variety). Then, canned beans or chili,beef stew, that sorta thang. Lotsa trail mix( my own blend, mixed at home). Now I'm thinkin bout the steak thing..marrinated in a zip lock bag.
haven't quite caught on to cookin from "scratch" while campin, but will learn from y'all.
Dunno a darn thang bout Dutch Oven cookin...but hope to learn soon !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm

We mostly hike during the day, maybe a little canoe time so its sandwiches, when we get back to the camp I don't feel like cooking and cleaning so depending on which trail section we picked we might stop at Sven and Oles pizza or grab a subway sandwhich. If to far out from a town to feel like bothering it is either more sandwiches or Dinty Moore or hot dogsover the fire. I figure I do enough cooking and cleaning at home.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:
caseydog wrote:
And, I often prep my ingredients at home, and put them in plastic containers to take camping, where I combine them when I cook. I consider that cooking from scratch, too.

CD

CD, That's what I do too. I love to cook outdoors and the chopping and cutting is some times hard to do.

I love it when Bob Henry and Vicky come to the gatherings because, as you can see, they "love to cook". :applause:
Coincidently, "I love to eat". :thumbsup: :applause:

Is it the fresh yeast bread hot out of the dutch oven~ or the stew ~or the meat loaf ~or the rootbeer cobbler ~or the chilli ~ or the OH OH OH
I know it's that damn cheese ball Vickie always spoils you with
:laughter:

Now you know why I go almost 300 lbs.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby gaheyn » Wed May 19, 2010 6:05 pm

When I travel with the Motorhome, then we do lots of cooking, but when I travel with the teardrop, it is as minimal as possible. Much like when I drove an 18 wheeler. Stop to grab a bite and move on. In camp, simple to prepare, simple to clean up and back to resting. 8)
No gourmet cooking, no non essential cooking. Eat, kickback and relax.
If is comes in a can, all the better. I only carry a single burner so meals can not be complicated, they are just a necessity.
Now, I appreciate what efforts that some folks go to for grub in a camp, but camping to me is a time to relax, not fuss about with a lot of dishes, cooking, and cleaning up. Gives me more time to wander, read, or listen to good music. My .02
Dixie-Al

The Older I get, the Faster I used to be

gaheyn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 19, 2010 6:20 pm

OMG You poor sick soul !

OK just kidding to each his own !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby darnis » Fri May 21, 2010 12:32 am

I voted fresh - the majority is - but like many others, we prepare some at home for convenience and space saving.

Nothing beats outdoor cooking for adding flavor AND appetite! :lol:

Darlene
darnis
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm

darnis wrote:I voted fresh - the majority is - but like many others, we prepare some at home for convenience and space saving.

Nothing beats outdoor cooking for adding flavor AND appetite! :lol:

Darlene

Yes, it always amazes me how things I cook at home taste so much better when I cook them while camping. The fresh air, the rustic surroundings, the occasional bug (added protein) just seem to make camp food taste better. :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm

I cook mostly fresh meals but I do most of the prep at home. Using canned ingredients is not out of the question. Generally cook and serve right out of the dutch oven. I've even been guilty of eating right out of the DO when I'm by myself (less dishes.)
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Good eating is half the fun on a camping trip. Waffles, pancakes, sausage, eggs and good coffee for breakfast and a good steak or something in the DO for dinner is unbeatable. Even if the fish don't bite, you can eat well and have a great time.
Toytaco2
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to User Polls