6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Finally received the throw rugs for the front of the trailer. The fit is pretty good, they look great (I think!), and easy to take out and shake out during a trip.

I still need to run some wire from the battery to a couple of inside 12-volt receptacles. Otherwise, I'll soon be loading up for a longer trip of about 2,500 miles, RT. That should be a good road test and mileage test.
I'm heading to NorCal Redwood country on March 5th for a week of steelhead fishing. :D (I won't be able to make the summer get-together due to my work schedule) Will likely camp along the Trinity, Redwood Cr., Van Duzen, and Smith rivers. It will be one of those "wait and see when I get there" sort of schedules, depending on river condiditions and where I'll be fishing.

Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 am

Those are some great looking rugs.
enjoy your trip I have one coming up march the 4th my 68th birthday.
now that's a trip I'm glad I get to make.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:06 pm

There's always a few adjustments made after a trip or two. Finishing touches, final adjustments, and a little tweaking of storage and organization.
This is prior to my 10-day trip starting tomorrow. Just need to zip up the cupboards and go!

Loaded, finished, modified (again), and ready to roll.

Somebody else feels at home inside too!

View of the bed/back ready to roll. Mass storage is under the bed in 34qt. clear Sterilite boxes. I can fit 12 of them under there not stacked on one another, more if I stacked them. More room than I'll ever need, out of sight, yet easily accessible from 3 sides of the bed. The little drawer set makes a handy bed-side "table", and lets me store things I might want at bedside, as well as changes of clothes for the next morning. Of course, its completely portable, yet wedged in rock-solid between the bed and wall. Perfect fit. Bungee keeps drawers closed in transit.
Image Image
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Fuel Mileage

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Just returned from a 2,600 mile round-trip from SW Wyoming to the Northern California coast, and back, with a few "side trips" between Eureka and Redding on some pretty twisty up-and-down two-laners through the coast ranges. (Hwys 3 and 299 for those that know it)

Truck usually gets about 15 mpg. on such a trip, which includes lots of miles on the interstate at a constant 74-77 mph. (posted speed limit is 75!) On this trip, the average for the entire thing was 11.2. :shock:

On the interstate legs, pegged at 77 mph, often kicking out of overdrive, it dropped to a dismal 10.3. OUCH! :thumbdown: I did keep it moving right along though, especially up the hills. The "test" stretch was from Salt Lake City to Reno on the dreaded I-80. There was no wind either way that was any factor. So, a 5 mpg drop, 33 percent. :cry:

Mileage was suprisingly better on the two-laners at slower speeds, even though they were up and down hills and winding roads. Off-interstate mileage was 12.5 mpg. The best, of course, were the straighter flatter roads of the pacific coast (hwy 101, etc.) Got 13.6 on a tank there. So, it appears overall speed was more of an influence on mileage than terrain or varying speeds. So, if one slowed down to 65, or even 55, mileage would be only very little affected. At 77, it just sucked the gas.

As for the comfort level, most of the time I never even knew the trailer was back there with my F-150 and the V-8. The trailer towed easily, even with some mild cross winds of 15-25 at times along the coast ranges and in western Nevada (non-interstate). It never affected my speed on any road, and the load stayed secure throughout the trip.

On a longer trip with lots of driving like this, I'm very glad I have a 6x12 rather than a 7x14. :thumbsup:

So, "maybe" air tabs will be in order for high speed interstate driving. :thinking: I'm not sure if its air drag, or just the increased towing load weight that drops the mileage so bad at higher speeds. :thinking:

In other trip news . . .

Temperatures at night were int he 30's and low 40's where we camped, and we were snowed on one night near the Trinity River at Weaverville. However, we slept warm as planned, and the little Coleman heater did its job in the mornings and evenings. The little 12-volt heated pad for the bed was awesome for pre-heating. Won't ever leave home without it.
:thumbsup:
I caught some steelhead on the Eel and Trinity rivers too! :thumbsup:

Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Glad your trip went well.

77 mph? pulling a 6x12 trailer I would thing 11 or 12 mpg would be great at that speed.

I found if I traveled at 55-60 when pulling my 25 foot camper the milage was higher than when I traveled at 65-70.

it was a big ol' flat front trailer.

I am looking at a 7X12 v-nose cargo hauler I want the extra width but 6X12 trailers are nice also.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MegC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:43 am

What's the weight on that thing before/after?
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 am

MegC wrote:What's the weight on that thing before/after?

Before is roughly 1600 pounds. After, I'm guessing around 1,900. Haven't ever pulled over to a scale though.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby digitek718 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Thinking about getting the same trailer..not sure about the height though..hey gonefishing, is your cargo standard height or did you get the 6" extra? Are you happy with that decision?
digitek718
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Gonefishing,

Nice trip! Thanks for the update.

You'll get 1.5 to 2 MPG more using Air Tabs. I did. (Same size and shape trailer.)

http://www.airtabs.com

They need paint. I used appliance white epoxy in a spray can.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Well, since that inaugural March 2010 trip, I've got about 80 or so nights, and an additional 10,000 miles on the trailer! I've made a few slight changes to the interior lay out, but for the most part, its been going according to how I planned it. The convenience and comfort has far exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't do anything different if I had it to do over again.

I'll post some updates soon, now that my main "camping" season is about to come to winter's time-out. I've been all over the West in this thing, and just can't get enough. I have even more vacation planned for 2012, always with the camper in tow. I could see myself taking the WHOLE summer off in 2013 and just living in this thing, from river to river, all season. :thinking:

And air tabs, yes, I'm considering them again. My mileage goes to hell towing this thing with my F-150, but I don't let up on the gas either. I drive full speed ahead just as if I wasn't towing. The price one pays for such luxury!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Like your plan for 2013!

Fabulous that you have put 10k miles on it and 80 nights camping!

Get AirTabs. Get better MPG.

Come back to The State of Jefferson any time. We'll go camping. I know all the best places.

:thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby digitek718 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey gonefishing-not sure if you saw my previous post-I was wondering if you got the extra 6 inches in height or if you just got the standard 6ft..Not sure which one to get..I could use the extra height(who couldnt), but also want to minimize the sail behind me..thanks..your trailer looks awesome..
digitek718
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I got the standard. Its actually about 6'1" in there, but I'm only 5'7", so I don't ever have to duck! I even switched my bed around sideways to open it up some more. Best move I've made with it yet.

If you're taller, which is likely, spring for the extra height. I wouldn't want to be ducking down or hunching over while moving around inside. You want it comfortable and relaxing inside. Remember your lights will likely hang down a few inches too, and you don't want to be bumping your head or dodging those.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

New Bed Arrangement

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 pm

Decided to try moving the bed to a perpendicular position to gain some more square footage of "living" space and use every bit of space inside more wisely. It has been the best modification I've made since aquisition and initial set-up. For a mattress, I ditched the full sized Serta, and aquired a full-sized (double) memory-foam matress to my comfort-liking. I then cut the memory foam to size length-wise, (cut like butter with an electric kitchen knife) and put it down on my existing bed frame. Voila!
I've slept on it for about 7 nights since, and it works great. The extra couple of feet of space doesn't sound like much, but its like I got a two-foot longer trailer now. It was a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER than selling this one and buying a 6X14 or 7X12, which was under consideration. I was also able to add another hanging cabinet for convenient storage, and still maintain all of the under-bed storage I had. The under-bed storage boxes are MUCH easier to access from the front than they were from the side. Sometimes it pays to be vertically challenged! (5'7") I can sleep straight on the bed and "just fit," or very comfortably diagonally on the full-width mattress.

Before the change:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 am

that's why I liked doing mine with etrack in sections. I can stack them on the one most rearward adn have all that room for working(/extracurricular activity) inside if I need to.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions