Pre-measured spices plus recipe card sold by McCormick

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Pre-measured spices plus recipe card sold by McCormick

Postby nevadatear » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, this isn't a recipe, but I saw these in Safeway yesterday and thought "wow, good for camping.' They are a recipe with all the spices needs already remeasured and attached. There are about 7 different version, from McCormick spices.

blasphemy for the true gourmet, and anyone could premeasure themselves, but for me, the occasionally lazy camp cook who still likes to cook good, this might be the ticket, especially if you are traveling across country and want a nice meal without stopping to buy an usual spice for one tablespoon. I bought a couple to test out.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Okay, Debbie, call me lazy if you want to but I couldn't resist buying that one that you show in your picture. :R I tried it this week and it was fun and yummy! :thumbsup: I think McCormick has hit on a good idea. People will try it because it is a novelty; and, when they find how good the recipe is, they'll detach the recipe card and stash it in their recipe box. If they are missing bottles of any of the spices needed to make the recipe, I'm betting some of them will buy those the next time they go to the store. Also, I can see young kids/teens buying that so they can make a surprise dinner for Mom on Mother's day or for Mom and Dad's anniversary, etc. It's a great way to teach people who are unfamiliar with cooking that it isn't that difficult to do. :Flippin Burger:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Great idea! I am a mostly lazy cook and hate it when spices sit too long in the cabinet! Besides taking all those spices out every time we go out will be a pain. And did I mention I don't like the seasonings to get old........... 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Laredo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:32 am

For those of you who haven't heard me preach this before already ...

There are multi-spice shakers sold at camping stores. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad; I find most of them sit around so long the spice loses its "punch". But in the past my dearly beloved has shown me a better way:

pick up an extra paper packet of salt/pepper at Mickey D's next time you stop in there, and take a look at the *packet*.

To take small amounts of spices with you for camping, take a regular soda straw (a clean one, and I like clear ones), and cut a 1/2'' piece off each end.
Now fold an inch of one end back on itself, and pull this thru one of the cutoffs so that it forms a "clamp" to hold the "bend" shut. A fat one, like you get at Sonic or DQ, will hold a tablespoon per 3''; a skinny one, less. You can fold the top end shut and clamp it the same way, and write the name of your spice around the ring.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:36 am

Cool idea with the straw. Nope, hadn't heard of it before. I have some of the multi spice things too, but, they are too much and get too old. I like the idea of small amounts of spices, so these "cards" of what should be fresh spices is appealing.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:17 am

A box of straws is under $1.
One sandwich-size zip-lock bag will hold a spice cabinet's worth.

If where you live they still sell PixyStix, the empty (washed out!) straws can be used the same way for things you want a little more of -- a half-cup of sugar, for instance, or a couple days' worth of ground coffee.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:20 am

Here's another suggestion that works well for us:

Go to Wal-Mart or a craft store & purchase the small, clear, stacking containers (usually in the bead/jewelry aisle of the craft section). Mine are about the size of a Carmex jar and in units of 5. When stacked, they stand about 5" tall. The top of one container screws into the bottom of the next one. The top one has a lid. I labeled the side of each with a permanent marker. That way I can take whatever spices I want in the amount I want, and they don't take up much space. I leave filled containers in the tear during camping season & empty them at the end. I cook a lot & use a variety of spices (some I grow & dry myself), so they never sit around very long.

I would post a picture, but the tear is in winter storage at the shop.

Betsey 8)
Last edited by Betsey on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 am

I hit Mickey Dee's about once a week and keep the milk chubs and wash them out for spice jars about 1 1/2 wide and 3" tall they will hold quite a bit. We travel with spices of all kinds and really get into our cooking here is how we roll...........

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

The ready to spread cake icing containers make an excellent canister set for flour , sugar , coffee, and such as well .

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Bunni » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Love the hand cranked mixer. I have one similar but it doesn't have the mixer attachments. Who makes it? Thanks!
Bunni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Py0tr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Tupperware make the quickchef 2. We have two, one in the kitchen at home and one in the trailer. it does everything from chop onions to make pancake batter, and I know I was shot down in flames the last time I said this but Tupperware spice containers are still my answer.
Py0tr
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Py0tr wrote:and I know I was shot down in flames the last time I said this but Tupperware spice containers are still my answer.

You are the one using it. So if it works for you, don't worry what anyone else thinks. :)

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby digimark » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 am

We're only starting in to serious camping, so we haven't needed much more than pepper for the beans and Montreal Seasoning for the burgers.

If I weren't planning on using them, I'd still bring a half-dozen bottles of spices for the trailer kitchen because it just wouldn't look like a kitchen without them.

Maybe I can put up some "spice rack" wallpaper in the meantime... :lol:
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby legojenn » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 am

I use these things for spices. They are designed for backpackers so they are rugged. I have found them to not spill or stink up my gear.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx? ... d1%26&c=3&

I tend to camp solo or with another person for usually no longer than a long weekend, so the small size is a bonus. On the MEC website (a Canadian outdoor eqipment company), members have recommended small 1 or 2 ounce Nalgene bottles for spices if you need more space.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=39

For coffee, I use the 4 oz jar. I put coffee in that. It's the amount I use in the coffee press.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=972

All these products are nearly indestructible and not expensive.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Great idea about the milk chubs for staple storage. I have been saving them ever since. BTW, I tried the mccormick spice prepackaged stuff, and they were really good. So they will be my backup plan when I don't have time tp prepack stuff.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1