Does anyone have any decorating tips?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Does anyone have any decorating tips?

Postby jan4peace » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:41 pm

My hubby recently finished his building project, so we are new to the td world. I'm all about decorating and making it "cute" which isn't his favorite word. I think it scares him! He wants it to look manly and masculine. Well, to heck with that--I say.

Of course, he's all about construction and design while I'm the not so silent observer....I keep asking questions about color scheme, curtains, and making it look "Cute". I dreamed of pink, but I told him blue. Actually, I begged him to paint it blue, but he said no. He gave me a little blue trim to shut me up though.

I want to add a little 50's or 40's style, but really I dreamed of shabby chic. I figured I would have better luck convincing him of the 40's or 50's style. He doesn't know what I mean....he says "Fish" is our theme which shouldn't suprise me. I have taken that and ran with it.

The thing is, my 1st attempt at making my own curtains was a complete and total failure. I think I made him some brand new hand towels instead.

We found some cute, giant fish pillows for the bed which he made me carry out of the store, because he was totally embarrassed. We are now on the hunt for bedding with a fish print.

He actually picked out some wall art from a thrift store which is totally cute. I was impressed. He rolled his eyes at my response.

When he painted the walls white, I went out and bought 2pink flamingos, plastic flowers, and a flamingo wind sock to decorate the campsite. He was less than thrilled, but said he will allow them as long as I'm camping with him.

I figure that as long as I'm willing to tinkle in a bucket now and again, he can at least give in to some of my decorating whims. I'm just trying to have fun with it.

I would love to see pics of the decorating y'all have done or any tips you may have. We are all about thrift and dollar store shopping as we are on a budget.

Sorry I talk so much! Thanks and happy tears to you all!

Mrs.B
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 pm

My daughter finding a quiet place.

I decorated with fabric. Started with a quilt. We have lots of men who quilt and are very proud of it. I figure I built it and I can decorate it. :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

I can't sleep!

Postby jan4peace » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 am

Thought I would check some more things out.

Miriam, I love your ideas. You have done some beautiful quilting here. Are those geese? I've never seen that pattern. It's lovely.

You built your camper yourself? Wow! I cheered my hubby on as he built ours and I helped put some puddy type stuff over nail heads, but that's the closest I got. Way to go! I'm impressed and, yes, the builder deserves to have the say in decorating. I just give my hubby a hard time out of love. Picking on each other is how he and I flirt.

I read him some of the stuff I wrote here and he laughed, because he knows I'm just kiddin' ;)

Thanks for your ideas.

Happy Tears!

Mrs. B
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 am

Welcome to the forum, Mrs. B.

Decorating a teardrop isn't much different from decorating a bedroom or an apartment. For the inside, you'll need a mattress, comforter or other such sleeping covers, and curtains. Go with what you and your hubby like. As long as you are happy with it, everyone else probably will be too.

If you want a theme, walk through a department store and look for ideas. Something should hit you like the sound of a gun at the races and you'll be off and running. If not, be happy with it and an idea will come in time. The main thing is to have fun and be comfortable with your TD/TTT.

Best wishes for years of enjoyment!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 am

Our theme is whale as it matches the profile of our TD. I have been sewing a long time, so that part was pretty easy for me. What was the problem with your curtians? Maybe I can help. With a few hints, you should have great curtains in no time. What kind of rod do you have in your TD?

Decorating its the most fun part! Without knowing details, my best guess is you didn't use enough fabric in your curtains. You need two to three times the width of your window to make them look right. I made mine about 2.25. In other words, one side of the curtain (if you make them in two parts to close in the middle) should be a little bit wider than the entire window. Other than that, they are kind of like making a large dishtowel. You can spice them up by putting a border on the bottom of a different fabric, or using tabs or rings on the top instead of a simple casing. If you tell me what you what them to look like, I can tell you how to make them!

Oh, and if your hubby is embarassed about your decor focus, he should check out Doug Hodders stuff. Not only is he a incredible builder (working on the Nomad now). He is all about style. Every tear he builds is decked out in a coordinating theme down to the Coleman camping gear. And he owns a quilt store. His decor is just as important to his build as the lumber he uses.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 am

I took a look at your tear in your album and have a couple of suggestions. I can't tell the actual size, but clearly they are long and narrow. As narrow as they look, if you go with curtains, making only one panel that pulls to the side, vs two that meet in the middle may be a better choice. But I have another suggestion, you may want to consider a blind instead. Like a honeycomb or pleated shade, if you can find one narrow enough. To spice it up with your theme, you could make a valance for the top. Fish fabrics often have blue theme, so you should be all set.
http://tinyurl.com/yhn646z. Yup, if you decide to go either direction, I can help you out.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am

Themes are soooooo varied , it's fun to see what people across the world have come up with . It can be "cute" or beautiful (after my 2010 remodeling ... jewel, silver & gold) or it can be raunchy or 'grapes of wrath' ... state themed, team colors, nautical, or just color coordinated.

Walking around the dept stores, can get you thinking of things that can be pretty for you , but still masculine for him. Like the green/brown/white big polka bedspread at Sears... or look at fish stuff on the bathroom accessories aisle at WM/Target etc.

When you mentioned the fish theme... makes me think of the black bear/pine tree /north woods them someone has. Or like Rickxr2 has sort of the moose accessories ,.
But being your in Alabama ... think Gulf Coast... maybe a Shrimp theme... add some red / pink from the shrimp and "Bubba Gump Shrimp Co." stuff....
Tabasco theme would be good too ... still masculine but colorful.

Doug Hodder is in Calif but has a quilt store actually and can DEFINITELY help you with fabric ideas!!!

Run with it !!! '
... wait, that could be another theme....
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:37 am

By the way, your blue trim is the perfect color to go with fish and flamingoes because blue is the color that makes both water and sky and it goes with almost anything. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Thank u for the suggestions...

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 am

S. Heisley wrote:Welcome to the forum, Mrs. B.

Decorating a teardrop isn't much different from decorating a bedroom or an apartment. For the inside, you'll need a mattress, comforter or other such sleeping covers, and curtains. Go with what you and your hubby like. As long as you are happy with it, everyone else probably will be too.

If you want a theme, walk through a department store and look for ideas. Something should hit you like the sound of a gun at the races and you'll be off and running. If not, be happy with it and an idea will come in time. The main thing is to have fun and be comfortable with your TD/TTT.

Best wishes for years of enjoyment!

Yes, we looked around Sears and Target for some bedding, but I think we went too early in the season for fish and fun colors. Everything was still so wintery.

We decided that we may find more when we go to the Gulf Coast for our 1st vaca in the the camper which is coming up. Mr. B is set on getting a fish bed spread and I think that will look great.

Thank you for your great suggestions. :)

Mrs. B
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Hey, Debbie...

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:13 am

nevadatear wrote:I took a look at your tear in your album and have a couple of suggestions. I can't tell the actual size, but clearly they are long and narrow. As narrow as they look, if you go with curtains, making only one panel that pulls to the side, vs two that meet in the middle may be a better choice. But I have another suggestion, you may want to consider a blind instead. Like a honeycomb or pleated shade, if you can find one narrow enough. To spice it up with your theme, you could make a valance for the top. Fish fabrics often have blue theme, so you should be all set.
http://tinyurl.com/yhn646z. Yup, if you decide to go either direction, I can help you out.

Thank you!

My curtain disaster? Well, we are all about discount shopping. Trying to save money for the 1st big trip which is coming up. Also, spending less or coming up with new uses for old things is part of the fun for us also.

I bought pillowcases in blue and white from a dollar store. I remembered that is how a friend made curtains for her dorm room back in college. Horrible isn't is?

The other reason I did that was because I don't have a sewing machine at this time and, even if I did, I haven't used one since Home Ec class back in 9th grade which was looong ago. Time is also an issue with my schedule (yet, here I am right?).

After not so strategically cutting the pillow cases and hemming them by hand, I stamped them with a fish shaped sponge using fabric paint. The colors were raunchy. They just look like a bad home ec project.

My husband cut and pieced together standard curtain rods to fit our tiny windows. The rods work great. It's really just the curtains that are the problem.

I took pictures today showing the curtains, but I haven't had a chance to put the pictures in my album. Had a few technical difficulties.

You asked about camper size. I think he says it is 8 ft X 5ft. It is just large enough for a standard sized mattress. I don't know the measurements of the window. It's nice of you to offer some direction.

Thank you for the link. It gave me some good ideas. I eyed the "marine park" with all of that blue. Nice!

Your whales are so beautiful and I love your curtain design. You are a true artist with a needle and thread!

Also, the galley is gorgeous. Your teardrop reminds me of some that I have seen in a book I found published by Gibbs Smith. Your's is really a show piece. There are sooo many talented people here. Wow!

Thank you so much for responding to this. My wheels are turning with this new perspective :)

Mrs. B
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:28 am

oklahomajewel wrote:Themes are soooooo varied , it's fun to see what people across the world have come up with . It can be "cute" or beautiful (after my 2010 remodeling ... jewel, silver & gold) or it can be raunchy or 'grapes of wrath' ... state themed, team colors, nautical, or just color coordinated.

When you mentioned the fish theme... makes me think of the black bear/pine tree /north woods them someone has. Or like Rickxr2 has sort of the moose accessories ,.
But being your in Alabama ... think Gulf Coast... maybe a Shrimp theme... add some red / pink from the shrimp and "Bubba Gump Shrimp Co." stuff....
Tabasco theme would be good too ... still masculine but colorful.

Run with it !!! '
... wait, that could be another theme....

Hi-oklahoma jewel :)

Grapes of wrath? I gotta see that!

Yes, we love the Coast and that is our inspiration all the way. It makes me think of the those gorgeous blue marlins they were catching on the pier last year (I had to have some alone time when I realized they wouldn't be thrown back in the water). Yes, these are masculine themes, but with a lot of color that I love. Tabasco print is fun too, but might clash with the blue and white a little unfortunately though. And 'Run with it' would be a cool name for a camper I think. My husband wants to name it Allcoopedup. :)

Y'all have given me great ideas and tips. I really appreciate this!

Thank u!

Mrs. B
Last edited by jan4peace on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

:) Sharon

Postby jan4peace » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 am

S. Heisley wrote:By the way, your blue trim is the perfect color to go with fish and flamingoes because blue is the color that makes both water and sky and it goes with almost anything. :thumbsup:

Well, I set up those pink flamingos today, but they look kinda skimpy ...I don't know. I like that they are retro and wacky. I do love the blue trim. Plus, my husband says he wants to shop for stencils this week and maybe paint the name on the back in the same blue. That will add a little more color.

I think I have gone teardrop crazy. I'm obsessed or something. I just want it to be comfortable and fun. I don't know why I'm going so nuts over this.
My 1st camping trip was 3 yrs ago on a very cold night...somewhere in the woods. We hadn't been dating long, we froze in our tents, I had my first experience with a bucket/homemade throne, and drank really bad coffee cooked over an open fire, but I loved it. I keep wanting to go back. Hubby has been going camping his whole life. He's really opened my eyes to a whole new world I never new could be this much fun.

Thanks for all of this!

Take care and happy teardrops!

Mrs. B
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 am

Mrs B

I would like to toss this out for thought. We needed some quick curtains and we were in Wally world getting new pillows. I stumbled upon the novelty towels. A hand towel folded in half was perfectly sized for our window. We are both Leo's and were heading to Florida for my son's wedding and we found towels with two lions lying under palm trees. Ya don't have to hit me with a phonebook it was just ment to be. I hit the drapery hardware isle and found those clip on cafe curtain rings. INSTANT CURTAINS. Bet ya can find a flamingo set :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 am

Since you don't have a sewing machine, I can understand your troubles! Bob henry' suggestion for clip on curtain rings is a good one. If you go with a shade and want a valance, you can make a simple one without sewing by using fusible web, also called stitch witchery. It comes in big pieces, or in narrow strips. You can use it to make a hem, but it does get a little stiff, so it is not as good on a curtain as narrow as yours, but a on a straight valance or slightly gathered one, you could easily make one without sewing a stitch! Thanks for the compliments, it is fun for me. I am so used to designing and sewing without even thinking about it, I forget lots of folks don't have experience in that area. My sewing machine is permanently set up, so I forget most folks don't even have one! :roll:
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 pm

I think a bikini is all you need... to get more attention than any other t/d around....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers