Vintage Bicycles... Share your pics!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Vintage Bicycles... Share your pics!

Postby cuyeda » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:09 pm

Just a fun thread in mind.

I just went on my first vintage bike ride in the local Long Beach area. http://www.cyclonecoaster.com. Had a great time, and now looking for a couple vintage bikes in the future.

Here is a good resource for vintage bicycle information that I found:
Dave's Vintage Bicycles http://www.nostalgic.net/

Show off your vintage bicycle and post a picture here. There may be questions later. :thumbsup:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby emiller » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Cliff there is a gal here in Phoenix that sells vintage bikes. that is where I bought mine. they range in price from $50.00 to a few thousand depending on what your looking for. Oh and you've seen mine.
here is what it looked like when I bought it
emiller
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention, check out http://balloontiresociety.ning.com/ and I heard that the Tour De Fat will be in Los Angeles this year, a must do. they haven't set the schedules yet but here is the web site http://www.newbelgium.com/tour-de-fat
My favorite Cyclone Coaster video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cC8fudp ... re=related
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Marcia's Sears Spaceliner.. it gets ridden while awaiting resto...
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Aaron Coffee » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Not sure if this qualifies as vintage, the 3 speed hub is dated 1970, not sure of the year of the bike itself. I don't remember the make and model right off of the top of my head.
I need to find the corect seat, and sissy bar. Someday I will restore/refurbish it. The biggest problem is that a muscle bike is not built for a 40+ year old to ride. Always wanted one as a kid.
Just remembered (I think), it's a Fleetwing Jet Star Super Delux.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:22 pm

I'll confess that I went bicycle shopping today for a bike for Vanessa, not necessarily vintage.

Note to "emiller": went to Chubby's Bike Shop!

I saw this Schwinn 2010 model with 7 speeds:

Although the original old vintage bike brings back a nostalgia, so does this shiny new one! Sure, sure there are the purists out there that would not repaint the original bikes, not change anything other than oil the chain, and hubs.

This one has got me thinking that I don't have to look for an old bike, don't have to bid on Ebay against others, don't have to find original parts if needed, don't have to worry if the purists will frown if I repainted it. It even has the light and horn in working condition! :lol:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:26 am

But Cliff, is retro Chinese cool? 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:46 am

Here's mine...still not quite sure how vintage it is. I haven't found much info on a "Dyno" brand bicycle. I've got plans for her, though I haven't made up my mind if I want to make a chopper out of it, or stay with the cruiser look.

Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:00 am

I've had this 70 year old Swiss Militarvelo for a while. It's a single speed and those guys rode them in the Swiss Alps, talk about some leg muscle power! It has three brakes, coaster, rear drum and a front brake that pushed downward on the tire tread. It weighs a little more than 50 lbs. It's a fun riding bike. It's for sale if anyone wants to make an offer.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby D.J. » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Pre-war Eaton's Glider . This is a really great bike to ride . .... D.J.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Cliff sweet :thumbsup:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:But Cliff, is retro Chinese cool? 8)

Cool is in the eye of the beholder... right... And yes, if I stumbled on a pre-war vintage bike, with all the original parts, had at least some paint left on it, and the price was under $500 (yeah right), I would buy it.

er, um how long would it take find something cool. So yes, in my eye retro chinese with a valid Schwinn logo that I could buy tomorrow is cool. :thumbsup:

Note to "emiller": I was told the Electra Indie model are no longer being made. What's on the shop floors are it. How true, I dunno.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby D.J. » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:10 pm

cuyeda wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:But Cliff, is retro Chinese cool? 8)

And yes, if I stumbled on a pre-war vintage bike, with all the original parts, had at least some paint left on it, and the price was under $500 (yeah right), I would buy it.

er, um how long would it take find something cool. So yes, in my eye retro chinese with a valid Schwinn logo that I could buy tomorrow is cool. :

The same day that I decided to look for an old bike , I went to an area that is known for good garage sales and went down the first street . At the second sale there was nothing in the garage but I could see handlebars through the window . I asked the owner if he had any bicycles and he directed me to the back yard . Out of the corner of my eye I saw this bike leaning against the house but I was being led in the other direction . I looked at the bikes and I said that I was a big guy and was looking for something stronger . The seller said that their grandfathers bike was for sale . I was now going in the right direction . The bike was in fantastic shape . I was told the family history and that they just oiled everything up and that it worked great . So I asked "How Much" , fully expecting $350 or $400 . The fellow said I'll have to go and ask the wife . a long time passed and he came back and said that he would have to get at least $30 for it . I tried not to smile and handed him the money . .... D.J.
D.J.
Teardrop Master

Postby flip18436572 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Here is a picture of the bike I restored for my step mother for Christmas of 2008. I don't have the information of what the bike was for brand or model # or year. I am missing the original pictures of when I brought it home. There was no shine, just rust. I could make out that is was red and white, but that was really hard to tell.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:49 pm

The picture is small, and looks like there is a light on the front fender. Did you repaint it for your restoration?
Some purists, say that restoration of bicycles is similar to vintage furniture. If you repaint, or restain it, the initial value of the item is reduced drastically.

If I stumbled on a rare rusty old bike, I would want to restore the paint and emblems to look like new, but that is just me. Some folks that have such rusty old bikes ride it as a badge of honor. :thumbsup:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Bicycles