What's the purpose of the Easy up when the weather is nice?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

What's the purpose of the Easy up when the weather is nice?

Postby 2bits » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:46 pm

I've never been an avid camper before building my teardrop. Always loved the idea and loved nature, but never could afford the mountain of gear and seemed like an incredible amount of work to set up a tent and campsite for a relaxing event.

So now I am camping regularly, and it just seemed like you were supposed to have an easy up so I got one and have been faithfully erecting it each time, but I am questioning why I am doing it. I mean to me, I am out in nature and would think we would want to be close to it, but the first thing people do is gather around under and awning to get away from it. Maybe that is a the wrong impression, but I am just at a loss. I think it would be much more pleasurable to sit under the open trees, so I am just asking to those wise and experienced campers what am I missing? I see that when it is raining it is a good idea, but otherwise, stray bird poop notwithstanding, why do people use these? I really am just wondering. It might have a little to do with my crappy wal mart not-so-easy-up but even when it is up, I wonder why it is there blocking my view of the trees.

Thanks
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Ageless » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:52 pm

Yes, the shade of the trees is nice, however, Yellow Cat Flat in Utah seemed to be missing that feature. There are places where shade is at a premium and summer sun in those particular areas becomes intense.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 pm

sun on a hot day is not relaxing to me... the ez up or something similar provides needed shade, and if it starts to rain, it also gives some protection against getting wet.... I even put up a tarp on the side facing the sun.

Helps with reading books, preparing meals, keeping the wind out, etc.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:36 pm

I have to agree with Ageless. We used ours last year primarily for shade. It worked great.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:48 pm

OK Cool, so in non-wooded environments, and on hot days I can understand for sure. Not tryin to be combative or argumentative or anything, just wanting to know people's positive sides for em when it is nice outside :) Thanks again for the replies!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

ez

Postby doitright » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I have owned one for about 7 years we got at Sam's. I use it only when it may rain or in the winter with the sides and a heater in it. So to tell the truth we have used it about 20 times. We drag it with us all the time just in case but hardly use it. Glade I have it but it is lots of weight to drag with us and not use it. Oh some times I have used it just to shade the camper in the summer.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm

2bits wrote:.Not tryin to be combative or argumentative or anything.

Why not be combative or argumentative? It would be a dull world if all of us thought the same and never exchanged differing points of view!!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am

Although, I like to be outside in the sun. Some folks like my wife cares about UV protection. Skin cancer can be very damaging. Some can tolerate UV exposures better than others.

You can still enjoy a nice day from under a shade.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:14 am

eamarquardt wrote:
2bits wrote:.Not tryin to be combative or argumentative or anything.

Why not be combative or argumentative? It would be a dull world if all of us thought the same and never exchanged differing points of view!!

Cheers,

Gus

hehe Just trying to keep the positive nature of the board goin, seen too many bad threads, luckily not too much here! I just thought I might have come out like what the hell are you freaks doin! haha :)

I always question, but try to do it in a non combative or argumentative way. It's like when people say they are brutally honest, I like the honest, but can live without the brutal!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Jason and Amanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:29 am

It depends on everyone's individual preference. We do not have an EZ up yet. I have an el cheapo screen room for eating way from bugs. We generally don't hang out in there. I do have a huge SUV tent for the side our our teardrop but we have an infant and need some protection from the elements when camping.

I may pick up an EZ up one of these days. I would need the screen walls though.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:41 am

I happen to be a big fan of our first up. There were a couple gatherings that we could have done without it but that is out of 10 - 12 outings.

Dan introduced me to the benefits of an easy up on our
very 1st outing.It broke the icy blast of a 20 MPH 28
degree wind. As you can see we were huddled in.

I bought this little cheap one it was , as described ,
at best a bird poop deflector.

I actually recieved my 1st up at the summer gathering
and it went in place over the galley. Ol what's her name
will turn red as a coke can and pass out with too much
direct sun so it was a God sent item at that Gathering
85 to 90 in the direct sun.

Seems everyone was looking for shade that day 8)

At the 08 Shivaree a sustained winds of 35 MPH ALL
evening and night long it was a haven from the wind.
We had it tied every which way and was luck to keep
it on the ground.

The spring 09 gathering it got a test. Torrential rain
Sat. night and with full side curtains it protected the
galley we were cooking in the height of the rain storm.

below : it made a pretty picture but was hardley
used we tended to gather at the fire.

The 2010 shivaree it was nice as a large kitchen
and gathering room but was barely used.

I don't have a picture of the last fall gathering
but 38 to 42 and raining there were 15 of us under
my first up with side curtains in place we were standing
shoulder to shoulder telling story and catching up on
all the news and gossip while to rained. That my friend
makes it priceless.

Sun and rain can be tough on us old wimps and I would
just as soon have my 1st up and not need it as to need
it and not have it. :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dmckruit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 am

They are good for shade in the hot summer sun. They also come in handy for the sudden unannouced rain storms that frequently occur at the beach.

If you get a clamp on light and install a yellow light bulb in the middle of the canopy you can play cards well into the night without the skeeters bothering you.

dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:26 am

If I am on a site where I can easily roll my teardrop back and forth, I push my teardrop back a little under the canopy at night. I then use it as a dressing room (I put up the side walls at night), and a place for port-a-potty.

In the morning, I push it out and just have the canopy over the galley area, and I drop the sidewalls, if the weather allows.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:27 am

I totally get that, Thomas. We typically camp in shaded, woodsy areas. EZ ups are so darned ugly. I really don't want to spend the money and haul it around for the few times that we'll need it for shelter from rain. But, what to do when the rain comes, and a meal needs to be fixed, and people need to be fed around the picnic table. For most, it's a necessary evil...if I camped alone, I certainly wouldn't need one.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby campinwi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 am

I use mine as the outdoor kitchen. Other than that, we are rarely under it. If I do not have the whole family with, or are only staying one or two nights, it may not get put up, too much of a bother.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Camping Secrets