What's the purpose of the Easy up when the weather is nice?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Rickxr2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:33 am

We usually unload half the trailer and set up on a table under the easy up. The easy up will help keep the morning dew off your stuff, plus it stops the squirrels and birds from dropping any foreign objects in your coffee. We use it for shade.
Image Image Image
Rickxr2
The 300 Club

Postby razorback » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 am

Hey Thomas
I totally understand your question. Its kinda of like, "Why are there so many different sizes, shapes, profiles of teardrops?" I often think why did I build the teardrop? To get away from the "setting up the tent process". Now I sometimes wonder why the EZ up. I take it every time and use it about half the time. I got mine from Gander Mountain. It came with solid sides as well as net sides. I also got Gander's Auto Canopy which was for going over the hatches of large SUVs. It has an elastic corded side that goes over my hurricane hinge with side walls. The opposite side has sewn in velcro that attaches to the velcro of the EZ up. I can now have a 10' X 20' enclosed area for those really cold or windy times. Macy will not come out of the TD if it is too cold so the enclosed canopy with the Big Buddy heater keeps the area in the 60's. To me its all about keeping Macy comfortable so she will camp with me and have an enjoyable place to gather if the weather is not cooperating. See you at BB.
Larry and Macy
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kirkman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm

For my Wife. :D
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't set mine up unless I need it for rain or shade. If the weather is good, and I have trees to shade my TD, I don't bother with the EZ-Up.

But, Thomas, when I do use it, I always stake it down so it won't blow away at night.

Just a helpful tip. ;) :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

In Arizona out in the desert, the obvious answer is SHADE! :sweaty:

But when I camp in cold conditions, HEAT too. The canopy does a fine job at capturing rising heat from a Mr. Buddy Heater.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm

We use ours to hang the rope lights from - and it also is useful for some shading - when you're follicular challenged - shade is good :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 pm

starleen2 wrote:We use ours to hang the rope lights from - and it also is useful for some shading - when you're follicular challenged - shade is good :thumbsup:

I have only used mine once! Was real sure it would rain and I have had a melanoma skin cancer. I try to not get burned..

We have the skeeter screen and are looking for some blue sides. Really I would like some sides that are clear or have some windows.... :worship: We also got some small clamps and put up rope lighting. If you wait till Oct. you can get the orange so it doesn't attract as many bugs.

:twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 2bits » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 am

caseydog wrote:I don't set mine up unless I need it for rain or shade. If the weather is good, and I have trees to shade my TD, I don't bother with the EZ-Up.

But, Thomas, when I do use it, I always stake it down so it won't blow away at night.

Just a helpful tip. ;) :lol:

CD

Yet ANOTHER reason not to use an easy up haha! So much WORK in camping is not my pleasure!

So from what I am reading (aside from a few one offs well deserved) the easyup has been referenced for use from things not doing with nice weather, such as heat, sun, cold, rain etc; these are things I definitely can see a need and use for, (as long as Caseydog helps me stake it down next time LOL).

But to the question... in NICE weather, there were some good points made, but I think I have determined for me to always keep it in it's handy storage spot, but not to make it part of my personal camping routine since I am alone and do not have any special requirements besides cold beer :)

I just love the idea of pulling in, opening the hatch setting up the grille pulling up a chair and being done... I'm not lazy, I'm on vacation!

Thanks to everyone for the good input, you really helped me see where this will be needed and not needed for me! Like I say, I love camping but have not done alot of it (yet).
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Kevin A » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:54 am

Thomas,

It would seem that all you might need is a market umbrella that you could attach to the side of your trailer with some form of brackets.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby 2bits » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:02 am

Kevin A wrote:Thomas,

It would seem that all you might need is a market umbrella that you could attach to the side of your trailer with some form of brackets.

I see where you are goin with the simplicity angle, but that to me still begs the question why. Maybe I only want to camp in too nice a weather eh hehe
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby artwebb » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 am

Personally myself, aside from being follicularly challenged, I'm also a red haired Scots - Irishman, so I can burn in an hour and a half sitting next to a car window wearing SPF50. Also ma nature blessed me with probably the best night vision of anyone I've ever known, but direct sunlight often hurts my eyes. Gotta have shade.
This is also why in spite of hating anything on my head, I own some silly looking hats for when I must venture out
I'm not old, I'm Vintage!
artwebb
The 300 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 am

Kevin A wrote:Thomas,

You mean like this?

Yep, doesn't get any more simple than that. 8)

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby legojenn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 am

Insects, especially mosquitos, can be annoying in this part of the world. A screened shelter can be beneficial even when the weather is nice.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

2bits wrote:I just love the idea of pulling in, opening the hatch setting up the grille pulling up a chair and being done...

Exactly. That's why mine stays in the back of the car, or even at home, if I know the weather is going to be decent.

I like to keep my camping as simple (and easy) as possible.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I've got one of the steel EZ-ups...and it weighs a bunch and takes up a lot of room in the back of the truck. When I've needed it, rain, snow etc...it's been great! It is a hassle to drag along all the time however, and only take it on longer camping trips. In the summer here, you can pretty much count on no rain, so the awning on the side of the tear works great for some covering from the sun. I try to park the trailer so I don't get afternoon sun into the galley, early morning isn't so bad. If I don't take it, I usually have a back up tarp that can be used over the galley if needed. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets