Help me decide the location of the Flag of Scotland!

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Which location/design of the St Andrews Cross do you like the best?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

A
6%
B
6%
C
No votes
D
19%
E
50%
F
19%
I cant decide. Just go for it!
No votes

Total votes : 16

Help me decide the location of the Flag of Scotland!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 am

I'm just about ready to start painting Saint Andrew's Cross (aka the Flag of Scotland) on the sides of my teardrop. Below are 6 subtle variations of the design, with either thinner or thicker white cross, or just tweaked to the side a bit. I think I've picked the one I like, but I want your input too!

*Note the location of the cross in relationship to the door and fender.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 am

D looks the most "eye appealing" to me.

Excellent idea btw.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

I'm inclined to go with "E". The door seems to be the least intrusive into the cross which is the predominant feature of the saltire.

From Wikipedia...
The Flag of Scotland, also known as the Saint Andrew's Cross or more commonly The Saltire, is the national flag of Scotland. As the national flag, the Saltire differs from the Royal Standard of Scotland in that it is the Saltire which is the correct flag for all individuals and corporate bodies to fly in order to demonstrate both their loyalty and Scottish nationality. It is also, where possible, flown from Scottish Government buildings every day from 8am until sunset, with certain exceptions.

According to legend, the Christian apostle and martyr Saint Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, was crucified on an X-shaped cross at Patras, (Patrae), in Achaea. Use of the familiar iconography of his martyrdom, showing the apostle bound to an X-shaped cross, first appears in the Kingdom of Scotland in 1180, during the reign of William I. This image was again depicted on seals used during the late 13th century; including on one particular example used by the Guardians of Scotland, dated 1286.

Use of a simplified symbol associated with Saint Andrew which does not depict his image, namely the saltire, or crux decussata, (from the Latin crux, 'cross', and decussis, 'having the shape of the Roman numeral X'), has its origins in the late 14th century; the Parliament of Scotland decreed in 1385 that Scottish soldiers wear a white Saint Andrew's Cross on their person, both in front and behind, for the purpose of identification.

The earliest reference to the Saint Andrew's Cross as a flag is to be found in the Vienna Book of Hours, circa 1503, where a white saltire is depicted with a red background. In the case of Scotland, use of a blue background for the Saint Andrew's Cross is said to date from at least the 15th century,with the first certain illustration of a flag depicting such appearing in Sir David Lyndsay of the Mount's Register of Scottish Arms, circa 1542.

The legend surrounding Scotland's association with the Saint Andrew's Cross dates from a 9th century battle, where Óengus II led a combined force of Picts and Scots to victory over the Angles, led by Æthelstan. Consisting of a blue background over which is placed a white representation of an X-shaped cross, the Saltire is one of Scotland's most recognisable symbols.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby TheresaD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I like "D". The width of the stripes and the positioning seem to give the trailer height.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 pm

I like E, you can see the splash of blue right behind the door, helps to delineate the cross and not just a field of white in that area. Just my Scottish opinion. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ageless » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:28 pm

"E"

But with the narrower stripes of c and D
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 am

doug hodder wrote:I like E, you can see the splash of blue right behind the door, helps to delineate the cross and not just a field of white in that area.

That's why I like E better too.
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:22 am

hmmm... you guys have some very good reasoning! keep em coming!

As of this morning, E is in the lead with 9 votes (between here and Facebook)
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am

I like "e" but would try to move the cross a smidge forward.

I might suggest also that when you put the cross on you put it on the door and fender so when looking from the side it appears to be covered by something or removed
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:36 am

I prefer the symmetry of F, and this from an individual who is rather eccentric. I also felt it most correctly reflects the true flag. Chose what ever YOU like, toss a coin and if you don't like the result chose the other one.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Boy I'm really starting to regret posting this poll..... so many good comments! Everytime I come back to it and look at the designs I keep changing my mind!! :lol: :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby rboser » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 pm

I voted for F as I think this best resembles the actual flag.
-Bob
Camp-Inn 560
rboser
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Ageless wrote:"E"

But with the narrower stripes of c and D

:thumbsup: Same reason as Doug. I like things separated.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Deb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 pm

"F" the best. The cross on the Scots flag is centered, (I can see it for myself on the flag I keep on my desk) so you'd do well by centering the design as much as much as possible. The rest of the design options all look rather awkward. Good luck!
Deb
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I thought the odd shaped white cross was going to be a crossroads with a pretty blue background. :oops:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to User Polls