What's the purpose of the Easy up when the weather is nice?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

The Truth

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 pm

2bits wrote:It's like when people say they are brutally honest, I like the honest, but can live without the brutal!

For some the simple truth is BRUTAL!

I thought Jack Nicholson said it well when he played a Marine in "A Few Good Men": "You (some people) can't handle the truth!"

Me and #1 wife (Suzy). After 37 years together. she's used to the "brutal truth", ha!

# 2 son on location in Iraq

And, yes, my father was also a Marine Officer (Raider and Recon) and mother was a Navy Nurse (only cause the Marines have no nurses, ha).

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

You cant do that!

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:31 pm

slowcowboy wrote:So 95 percent vote for shelter logic 5 percent for ez-up. My thoughts Slowcowboy.

I don't think you can purchase a 95% shelter logic and 5% ez-up! So, what's it gonna be?

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:58 pm

Here in Arizona, trees are scarce. Once we camped in Chiricahua National Monument and there were ample trees, so we left the EZ Up at home. Although we didn't need the shade, the EZ UP would have been handy to keep the pine needles out of our food. (Minor inconvenience) :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Keeps the sun off and the wind away when chilly. It is however not UV protected and too much time in one place will result in sunburn if sensitive.......

btw Academy Sports had an EZ UP brand 10X for $49. I pulled it off the shelf above my shoulders, wheeled it to the car and put it in, oh and got drenched doing it. :( You can control the weight and the bag has wheels so don't let that stop you. Buy lots of junk so you too can ENJOY! :lol:

Yeah I had one but what's one more........ 8)

I wonder if there is any reason why you can't hook an ez up with reciever tubes too....
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:54 am

Anybody who's ever camped in the Adirondacks will tell you that there's one thing you can count on...RAIN! No matter how nice your weekend is going, it will rain at some point. So taking some sort of screen room or EZ up is esssential gear. Oh, and then there's the black flies...... :scratchthinking:
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby chorizon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 am

slowcowboy wrote:Its easy Gus, buy 95 % shelter logic and 5% ez- up. All you do is since I have the shelter logic already and the oasis maker set up built. Is just wast the money and buy a ez-up on some place like ebay or where you can get it discounted. than use the shelter logic for 95 % of the time and leave old ez-up stored in hibernation till You really want more than break it out and use it for the 5 % of the time. when you really need to camp with all your freinds and neighbors. or its more than you and a buddy. Or you read the forecast and its a reallly good chance of rain and you don't want to put the trip off. Other than that. leave ez-up at home in hibrenation and just use shelter logic. Called a mostly bought shelter logic and a very partially bought ez-up. It just how your brain fits it in. Heee! Slowcowboy.

That's Cowboy Logic! :applause: :lol:

I was wondering about the 95/5 thing too, but that was a perfectly reasonable explanation!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Karl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 am

To me, an EZ-up is indespensible. People complained when I would get dressed and undressed outside my teardrop so an EZ-up with solid wall panels (that zipper down the middle) probably kept me out of jail. :lol: And, as mentioned by others, the UV protection in the canopy makes sunny days less of a problem for someone like me who burns rather than tans.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:14 pm

:( My Canopies are both blue and I can't find blue sides or even white. I really don't want the brown that is out there now..........anyone know where I can get these. Seems my puter wants to show me the $100 ones...... :cry:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Kevin A » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Miriam,
I found my blue wall kit at Walmart.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:08 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Its easy Gus, buy 95 % shelter logic and 5% ez- up. All you do is since I have the shelter logic already and the oasis maker set up built. Is just wast the money and buy a ez-up on some place like ebay or where you can get it discounted. than use the shelter logic for 95 % of the time and leave old ez-up stored in hibernation till You really want more than break it out and use it for the 5 % of the time. when you really need to camp with all your freinds and neighbors. or its more than you and a buddy. Or you read the forecast and its a reallly good chance of rain and you don't want to put the trip off. Other than that. leave ez-up at home in hibrenation and just use shelter logic. Called a mostly bought shelter logic and a very partially bought ez-up. It just how your brain fits it in. Heee! Slowcowboy.

I guess I'm not "cowboy" enough (although my father was born and raised on an Indian reservation in Montana) to follow the above logic! If it works for you, I'm happy! Different strokes for different folks!

Cheers,

Gus
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 am

When we attended our first TearJerker gathering there were two tears that we did not see until the day we packed up to go. They were so swathed in Easy Up oid's most of the other tears had shelters of one sort or another that basically covered them. We had a new Swiss Gear screen tent that I put up for the first and last time. We ended up buying a Kelty Car Tarp which had four poles went up easy and did not take up much room. Worked Great!

The only problem was attachment which was less that satisfactory. The new MM has awning/keder rails on three sides and we now have the first prototype awning from Paha qua (see album) which will eventually get no-see-um netting and side curtains.

Why the EasyUp'oids, my bet, inherent in the traditional design is that water will tend to flow back and down past/around/into the galley.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 am

We left our galley open during a worm drownding rainstorm , with our 1st up sheltering the cook , without a drop of water in the galley.

What you don't see in this picture is 3 layers of waterproofing.

A tyvec wrap was applied under the roof material then a 6" band of ice dam tape was applied over the lexan. Then the final rubber covering
( rubbermaid shelf liner ) . The bulge is a piece of 1/2" pvc slipped in to form a curb to direct the water to the dog ears and form a drip off point for the water.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:36 pm

A while back I bought a Coleman Event 15 & 3 side walls. I have only used it once bushwackin in sagebrush country north of Moses Lake, WA. It was a bear to put up by myself, but was worth it. It do get a bit hot over there.
Last edited by Mukilteo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Karl » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:27 am

Miriam C. wrote::( My Canopies are both blue and I can't find blue sides or even white. I really don't want the brown that is out there now..........anyone know where I can get these. Seems my puter wants to show me the $100 ones...... :cry:

Try http://www.hutshop.com/quikshadeacc.html, although most will be in lovely white. Also look at http://www.procanopy.com/canopyshelter- ... 7_241.html. Finally, check out http://www.quikshade.com/Product_Brand_ ... goryId=103. Please note that once this web page comes up, you'll need to scroll down or else you won't see any of the products. Who knows why they do that.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Re: What's the purpose of the Easy up when the weather is ni

Postby Java Jack » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:04 am

2bits wrote:
So now I am camping regularly, and it just seemed like you were supposed to have an easy up so I got one and have been faithfully erecting it each time, but I am questioning why I am doing it. I mean to me, I am out in nature and would think we would want to be close to it, but the first thing people do is gather around under and awning to get away from it. Maybe that is a the wrong impression, but I am just at a loss. I think it would be much more pleasurable to sit under the open trees, so I am just asking to those wise and experienced campers what am I missing? I see that when it is raining it is a good idea, but otherwise, stray bird poop notwithstanding, why do people use these? I really am just wondering. It might have a little to do with my crappy wal mart not-so-easy-up but even when it is up, I wonder why it is there blocking my view of the trees.

Thanks

Just digging up some old threads...

We have 2 different canopy solutions, 1 for fair weather (Quick Shade Summit 170) and the Northern Breeze screen room.

For us, we use it for shade (or protection from light rain) as most sites we have been to do have shade where the tear is parked. Furthermore, stuff drops out of trees, whether twigs and leaves or bird droppings, etc. Therefore, the canopy provides a drop free zone for relaxing. Since the sides are open, you still feel very much in nature so it works for us.

If the weather is likely to be ugly, we have the Northern Breeze. It is a full screen room that also has side walls to keep you way from the elements as needed.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets