"Miss Independence" Reno, Nv updated 4/23/10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"Miss Independence" Reno, Nv updated 4/23/10

Postby Pam M » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:44 am

I started this project about March 15, 2010

I bought a Northern Tool bolt together 5x8 trailer and added 2' feet. The little metal pieces sticking up, was a great idea I had gone bad so I hammered them off. What it was suppose to do is connect the chassis to the deck and bolt onto the cross members, but I had to slice the deck and then I was worred about water getting in and so on and so forth, so after I tarred the bottom I hammered them down. But it was worth a shot!
Home Depot is within 1/2 mile from my house, thank goodness! Now everybody at Home Depot wants updates everytime I go in there about how the trailer is coming along. I don't share the "bad" stuff, only successes

The tarring process isn't as bad as I imagined, however, I can't figure out how everbody is saying they use a brush to spread it. HA! I used a paint stick and a putty knife. I did get some on my old pair of jeans and I think I have now washed them about 10 times, and you can barely see the tar anymore
Yup the rigid R Tech insulation is the best. the R factor is not real high but I am hoping it will make a difference. I could not find anything better.
Cool retro black and white floor was a remnant piece from Home Depot. I really wanted the real black and white squares but the cost was out of the question. I used 2 1/2 cans of vinyl adhesive and my kitchen rolling pin instead of a rented vinyl roller. There was some very small air bubbles under the vinyl that I just gave up on trying to get them out, but in the morning the bubbles had absorbed themselves! Woo Hoo.... Very proud of my linoleum laying.
This is me in my sweat shirt walking around the trailer with my cardboard mock up. I really wanted to put the trailer outside behind my truck to get a real good look at what it would look like driving down the road. In 50 mile and hour winds and snow, it was not feasible. I did not cut the door yet.

Me again using a router for the first time in my life ~ thank you craigslist! Bought a new bit and I'm thrilled at how professional it makes everything look, as long as I have a jig. I am terrible at following the lines, even in third grade my teacher wrote on my progress report that I needed to slow down and cut on the line with my scissors. I still am bad at that...

Went to a used RV junk yard perse' and bought 2 doors, 2 windows, a stove, 2 hatch doors and a fan. Well after thought is... I'm no longer going to buy things in advance and I'm gonna try to stop reinventing the wheel. The doors were not the right size but I thought I could make them work by modifying them. 10 hours later they were modified but it took 10 hours out of my build time. And now I decided that I want doors double that size. Sooooo anybody need 2 doors? I'm keeping the hinges.

I will keep you posted
Last edited by Pam M on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 am

WTG Pam!!!! Looks like your moving right along!!! thanks for the pics!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

You're making good progress. :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to the next update and pictures. Are you building a Benroy or....?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby High Desert » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 am

Looking great Pam :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Welcome Young Lady ...

Postby down under tech » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Pam: I see you have started your grand build. I am glad you have started a build thread. I will watch this one very close, since I am very close to Reno. When you can, add some words to go along with the pics so we know where you are coming from & going to. The steps of your build, that is. You already know that you can count on me to help if need be. Good Luck, "Miss Independence".

P.S. It sounds like you are building a racing boat, LOL :o
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Miss Independence

Postby Pam M » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Yes I am building a Benroy ~ I really like this design, no other reason other than it looks right to me.
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Re: Miss Independence

Postby BC Dave » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 am

Pam M wrote:Yes I am building a Benroy ~ I really like this design, no other reason other than it looks right to me.

Benroy = more room (right? what are the dimensions H,W,L?) = + uses; and + more comfortable. "Good on ya" for being miss independance and building it yourself. Be carefull of that router miss miss (kidding).

Looks like your off to a good start; nice flooring.

Are you doing it on your own? Whos taking the pics?
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Re: "Miss Independence" Reno, Nv Build 4/2/2010

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:59 am

Pam M wrote:Image

Wow!!! look'it those "GUNS" (arms) on her running a router! Congratulations on your build! Don't mean to sound sexist...but it's great to see a lady running a router!!! Keep up the great work....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby steve smoot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 am

yea Pam, most us ol' guys like women in tool belts too. ;)
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby down under tech » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 am

Hi Pam: I see you are using the same insulation in your floor that I am. You know that is made in Fernley? I sent you a PM this morning. Where are the doors going?

Doug is a wealth of information on these things. I'm sure he would be willing to give some GOOD advice on solving problems you encounter.

Well everyone, I have to get my walls up today. Have a Happy Easter,
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 am

Off to a great start! :thumbsup: :applause: Need words to go with Pics. Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Pam: I see you went to Home Depot to get wood. Are they selling purses now? :o

Sorry I couldn't resist that one. I hope you got a lot done today on your Benroy.

Take Care, See Ya :D
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Looking very good! Can't wait for the next update.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:58 pm

I think that "Miss Independence" has to be one of the BEST names ever for any teardrop trailer... and your choice borders on awesome, because it for this middle-aged man it conjures images of terrifying hydroplane racing machinery of the past, powered by Rolls Royce Merlin or Allison V12 aircraft engines... boats with names like Miss Bardahl, Miss Madison and Miss Budweiser.

:thumbsup:

Of course I think that because I am racking my brain trying to think of a suitable name for mine.

:lol:

I don't need any help yet... not until I reveal a few of the details about and divulge the overall style of what it is I'm attempting to achieve.

But I hope that the name I choose will be as classic, as evocative, as the one you've chosen. And fwiw, I don't usually name vehicles I own, even though I dote over them and lavish them with TLC. This teardrop seems to be taking much more of my brainpower to ponder. Not that I'm complaining... everyone should have such a great hobby diversion!

:R

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby TLC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 am

teardrop_focus wrote:
But I hope that the name I choose will be as classic, as evocative, as the one you've chosen. And fwiw, I don't usually name vehicles I own, even though I dote over them and lavish them with TLC.

:R

Funny, I can't remember ever being lavished on any of your toys. :lol:
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
TLC
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals