camp outside lighting.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby starleen2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 pm

I use my vintage colemans for light - no propane here - just white gas BABY :thumbsup:

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby ERV » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

If there is electric we use a small string of lights. If no electric I have 5 or 6 kerosine lanterns we use. I also use tiki torch fuel in them that has bug stuff in it. Lights the camp and keeps the bugs away. ;)
I do carry two Colemans too, But they are to bright around the fire, just use them around the table when we are eating or doing something that needs a lot of light. I made 4 stakes about 4 foot tall with a hook at the top and hang the lanterns on them around the fire. Works great. :thumbsup:

Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I'll probably use kerosene lanterns. My wife and I used them camping and even after our cabin was built. We had plenty of electric lights, but the lanterns were much more pleasant. And the bugs don't have any interest in them.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 am

What don't I use is probably a better question.

In the peak of the 1st up is a little 3 dollar kerosene lantern converted to electricity with either a christmas bulb for low light or a high intensity mini base bulb for task lighting or playing cards.

around the bottom of the 1st up a string of 120 volt ac christmas lights or patio string lights.

Rear peak of the barn has a small LED battery light , just enough light to move about without tripping over something.

On the table a small kerosene lamp.

A collection of battery flashlights for late night walks to the potty.

Side lights on the trailer 25 watt electric 120 volt of a amber 1157 auto tail light if running on 12 volt.

Under trailer lighting is a set of 12 volt running lights I installed in case of tire trouble on the road.

My 1954 coleman double mantle has gone along on many campouts but only pressed into service once.

But the one I like best.......................

The light of a campfire !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 am

There are three LED lights in the rear two under cabinet and one main G4. We also have a solar powered lantern (LED). Book lights flashlights all LED with Nimh batteries.
We have a number of Coleman single mantle (one 60 YO) but solar is free (OK it is really expensive on some levels).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby ERV » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 am

Slowcowboy

It is not the kerosene that keeps them away in my case. I use the fuel that they use in the patio torches. It has citronella and cedar in it.

Started using it in the back yard years ago. Lanterns burn fine with it, can't
see any difference in the light they put out.

Erv
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am

Normally the only light other than the fire that we use is a tiki torch or two, maybe just a citronella candle on the picnic table. I try to confine my light to my own campsite. Often the torches or candle are only for bug control as there is plenty of light coming in from the neighboring campsites. I have a couple of older rechargeable fluorescent Coleman "lanterns" (seldom used) as well as a Coleman propane "Northstar" if I really need to light up the area for some reason (almost never used), and of course flashlights when needed. I prefer the light of the fire alone when possible.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby alffink » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:41 am

Larwyn, has got it right
You've finally gotten away from the city lights the sun has gone down, the dishes are done, and the camps fire has burned down to nice warming coals, why the heck would ya want, to bring city lights with ya, enjoy the stars......much more comfortable any way.

now I do have, amber porch lights over the doors, for that midnight foray out from the tear, there is a dome light on the galley hatch and I always have a small flash light in my pocket

so if needed I have plenty of light, even some rope lights for when at a large gathering

But I always have a telescope with me and would, much rather have no exterior lights on around the camp site.
But campgrounds are dark, and good task lights can be a real life saver.

Bobhenry, I do like the idea of the running lights under the trailer, to light the wheels in an emergency, I hate trying to hold a flashlight and spin a lug wrench at the same time.
alffink
Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 am

[quote="starleen2"]I use my vintage colemans for light - no propane here - just white gas BABY :thumbsup:

I am with Starleen2. I use liquid fuel lantern and stove.

However, I rarely light up the lantern, flash lights work most of the time. With a group we have a campfire, alone we go to bed early, or play card games inside the tear (lit by LED flashlights!).

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Zollinger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Ditto on the white gas! :thumbsup: Besides it's fun to collect and fix em.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I used to use coleman lanterns.. but with led lanterns so cheap and easier to use, I have one like this... but, since the days are long and the t/d is comfy at night, I rarely have to use it...

One thing I use a lot is an led head lamp, for potti visits and other traveling in the dark, even from camp site to camp site, to keep from tripping on things.. they are great because they light where you look. I have one in the house, van, motorcycle, t/d... I much prefer a head lamp to a flash light when moving around, or looking behind the tv for a hook up.

You can always use a head lamp for a flash light, but you can not use a flash light for a head lamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Mini-LED-Head-Lamp/dp/B0007OEQX6

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168QAGS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0009J1EUC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SJ64EN55C97ZDHH5Z94
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 am

I have a couple of battery-powered lanterns and flashlights and an led headlamp in addition to the 12 volt porch lights. I only use these for the late-night potty trips though because if it is dark outside, then I am in bed.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 am

I have a few Kerosene Lanterns that I like to use.

I usually set up 3 so I don't have any shadows.

I also burn Citronella oil in at least one but Charcoal lighter in the others.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby ERV » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:11 am

Darn Len,
Thats a nice collection of lanterns you have there. I only have about 10 or so. I also started getting oil lamps for in the house, so far have about 18 of those.
Can you make that pic a little bigger so I can drool some more? :)
My Grandfather got me started on them. He gave me my first one for camping about 50 years ago. Didn't think I should be usen white gas yet.

Erv :thumbsup:
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm

ERV wrote:Darn Len,
Thats a nice collection of lanterns you have there. I only have about 10 or so. I also started getting oil lamps for in the house, so far have about 18 of those.
Can you make that pic a little bigger so I can drool some more? :)
My Grandfather got me started on them. He gave me my first one for camping about 50 years ago. Didn't think I should be usen white gas yet.

Erv :thumbsup:

Erv

I'll see what I can do with blowing the photo up.

If not I have all these lanterns and more hanging in the rafters of the room in the photo.

I'll take another photo.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets