"Miss Independence" Reno, Nv updated 4/23/10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 am

Having witnessed and tested welder certifications for 25+ years in everything from the space shuttle main engine to carnival rides. I would be seeking some one that is a certified per AWS standards.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 am

This is more info on the extension. The weldor used the wrong size metal. The NT (Northern Tool) frame uses 2 1/2" "C" channel like the HF frame uses. What was used to extend the frame was 1" square lite weight left over used scrap he came up with somewhere. The welded areas were not ground down before he welded the pieces together so the welds are weak due to the paint contamination of the welds. I will get the same size "C" channel as the original steel that was used by the factory. First I will build the 2' extension on a flat surface and I will use a gusset to hook the new part to the old along with bolts. Then I will weld the seam that is visible along the side of the frame & grind smooth. I can use Doug's trick to mud (Bondo) over the patch of the seam and smooth it over with that. When I am done, I hope you won't be able to find the area of the grafted steel.

The best part of this repair, is that she will not be charged a single penny by me. :delivery:

Keep your fingers crossed, Pam. "Camp On, Girl" :campfire: :Flippin Burger:
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:48 am

Johnny D., you are a gentleman..my hats off to you.. :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby glassice » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 am

down under tech it's great that you are helping .Maybe a lot of clamps will show up we use framing Jigs that are over 3000 lb and bolt to the floor and at time you still get some pull. What we do is use 6011 are 6013 to do the root pass it can burn a lot of junk in the weld at a 1" at a time then move to the other side and back then 7024 on top makes it look like MiG .It be nice if you could find a small MiG are better a tig . lot of luck
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi Pam: This is for your followers of your build.

I went over to Pam's house tonight to check out her trailer chassis/frame. I don't know who said they were a weldor & charged her "anything" to extend the frame. He should have "paid her" to practice on her frame. Can you say "Cobb Job"? :roll:

Pam took some pictures of the extension after we removed the wooden deck. You will see what I mean when she post the pics. We came up with a list of metal she will need to get so I can put this right this week end. He removed almost all of the bolts that were actually holding the frame together and did "very pee poor" welds. We are going to reinstall the bolts as I would trust them more than I would trust the low quality welds he did just as a back up. :oops:

Pam is such a nice person and is trying as hard as she can to learn as she goes and to build something she will enjoy for years to come. I don't want her to have this TD fall apart before she gets to the first campsite. I will help her when she needs help. She knows what she wants and I don't want to interfere with her plans, but I will be glad to give her advise as well as her readers should, too. She likes your ideas and feedback also so keep them coming.

She will get through this "PROBLEM" and she will succeed in this TD build. :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 am

You're a good person, Johnny. :thumbsup:

Miss Indy: Keep your chin up and count your blessings that you weren't too far into the build when you found the problem. I'm watching the progress both you and Johnny are making. Just remember that even when it's two steps forward and one step back, you're still ahead one step! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 am

down under tech

We came up with a list of metal she will need to get so I can put this right this week end.

The best part of this repair, is that she will not be charged a single penny by me.

Pam is such a nice person and is trying as hard as she can to learn as she goes and to build something she will enjoy for years to come. I don't want her to have this TD fall apart before she gets to the first campsite. I will help her when she needs help. She knows what she wants and I don't want to interfere with her plans, but I will be glad to give her advise as well as her readers should, too.

She will get through this "PROBLEM" and she will succeed in this TD build. :thumbsup:

Granted, I've been up all night working an unusual 14-hour graveyard shift, but this information that Johnny posted and his unselfish solution to the chassis problem nearly put a tear in my eye, no pun intended.

My hat, too, sir, is off to you. Three thumbs up!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

teardrop focus

Postby down under tech » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:41 am

teardrop focus: Thanks for the kind words. That's the kind of person I am. Pam had to get box tubing, no "C" channel for five days. I will make this work.
Sorry about your problem or maybe it is a blessing that you have three thumbs. :roll:

Everyone else that sent me there appreciation for helping Pam, your welcome. I don't brag on myself, I let my work speak for it's self.
See you later, 8)
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pam M » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 am

I will post in the morning at how hard Johnny worked all day. I just got home and it is nearly 11pm.

Be careful girls; he's single and he's HANDY! lol!

I'm back in the right direction... Johnny coming over Sunday so we can finish up.

I'm exhausted and will post again in the AM!
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Postby grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I am impressed, and pleased.

Will be watching this one unfold as I build mine.

Thanks JD for helping out.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

The new & improved frame extension ...

Postby down under tech » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 am

Hi everyone: I will let Pam tell you when she posts what happened this week end as far as to the progress to get to this point.

Here is the after picture of Pam's chassis. It took longer than I thought it would, but it turned out very good.

Here is another angle of the frame. I did not use any mud on the frame to cover up the welds. That is all steel. I did grind the welds to get a nice finished look. I used 45 degree corners at the rear so it all was enclosed and it looks better and more appealing to the eye this way. We hooked the trailer to the TV and we both jumped up & down to see if it was OK. It did not budge at all.

This is Pam after it was all SAID & DONE. Do you think she was happy ??? P.S. I think she is ready to go camping, now. I am talking about the chair she is setting in. :lol:

Last edited by down under tech on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 am

We don't always get to be gentleman Johnny, thank you for being such a fine example of what we all aspire to be. Your work looks so much better than the original frame too!!!

Well Pam, now you can work from a solid foundation! You can sure see the relief on your face. It will be an honor to meet both of you intrepid souls.

See ya soon, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Miss Indy ...

Postby down under tech » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:13 pm

Hey Everyone: When I posted the pics of Pam's new frame, it was almost 2AM this morning. I woke up and I guess I was still tired when I posted the pics. :?

I forgot to thank Pam for taking the initiative to get right in there with me and she gave me all the help I needed to prep the steel by grinding it for welding and sanding the mill scale off of it so the welds would not have any contamination so we could ensure good welds. She is a very good apprentice and asked questions so she could learn things as to who, what, why, when & where was going on. :thinking:

I wanted to let you know Pam was a tremendous help in the fabrication of her new & improved 2 foot extension. :thumbsup:

Pam took me to dinner Saturday and she cooked dinner for me Sunday evening when we finished the install of the extension on her Northern Tool frame. Guys, This lady can COOK !!! :twisted:

Pam is a really great person to be around. You can tell she is a true teardrop type person with a very high character. :roll:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: Miss Independence

Postby Pam M » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

BC Dave wrote:
Pam M wrote:Yes I am building a Benroy ~ I really like this design, no other reason other than it looks right to me.

Benroy = more room (right? what are the dimensions H,W,L?) = + uses; and + more comfortable. "Good on ya" for being miss independance and building it yourself. Be carefull of that router miss miss (kidding).

Looks like your off to a good start; nice flooring.

Are you doing it on your own? Whos taking the pics?

If you were only aware of the grandios errors I have made and have had to re-do back to the basics (now 5 times).

I am making stupid mistakes and then several steps down the road realize what I should have done.

Yes.... mainly on my own until this past week. I met Johnny D (build journal silver nugget) If you read on you can read the saga for the last 7 days or so.

Pictures are taken typically from my 19 year old college daughter who still lives at home, and with alot of begging, I tear her away from her texting and telephone long enough to snap a picture or hold the end of a 2x4 or so.

So far my biggest helper (before Johnny) has been my HUGE trash can because it is sturdy and tall, and really all I need is just something to lean stuff against that is sturdy until I get a screw in it.

Pam
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kixwy2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

The new and improved chassis looks fantastic! Great job Johnny and Pam! :thumbsup: I agree, the 45 degree cuts look great. Hopefully now you're back on track on the more fun part of the build. :)

Quick q: is the extension bolted on to the original frame or did you weld that together as well?
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals