camp outside lighting.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:35 pm

I don't use any outside lights. When it gets dark I head in, read a bit & go to sleep.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:25 pm

At the "Glyphs" gathering last week it was rather chilly. I lit up my Coleman double mantle white gas lantern and crawled inside and cracked open a window and read for a few hours before turning in. Made it very comfortable in there.

For regular outside lights I have a dome light in the galley and a license plate light by the door so i can find the rig easier after a late night call.

Inside i have a 18 watt florescent light for warm weather reading and another license plate light that I use when I don't need all that florescent light.

Oh all lights are 12 volt.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Festus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 am

Ditto on the headlamp, Arne. I've got an Energizer LED headlamp I got at Wally World a couple of years ago that I use all the time. It takes up almost no space and seems to run forever on a set of batteries. So, outside it is a campfire and the headlamp. I don't have any porch lights on my tear. I've got a 12v galley light and a waterproof battery powered LED mounted with velcro on the side of the galley. I've got a swiveling LED mounted in the cabinet with the battery, fusebox and 120v breaker box. In the cabin, I've got a 12v ceiling light and another swiveling LED on the forward cabinet. I don't have any 120v lights at all, but I do have a 120v receptacle in the cabin and one in the galley. I would probably put in some 120v lights if I were doing it over, but so far I haven't felt the need. I mainly put the 120v receptacles in to use a ceramic heater in the cabin, which I have not used yet, but I'm sure I will sometime. I built my tear to use battery power, since I am not a big campground person and prefer boondocking, so not having AC available is no big issue for me.
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:49 pm

We like to put a string of solar lights on our awning. They charge during the day and automatically come on at night. Ours are shaped like dragonflies. They really put out a nice glow and help you find your way back to the camper without messing up your view of the stars.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:47 am

Man I forgot the best part of my barn build......

under the eves party lights.

At gatherings I can hardly wait for dark to show off my built in party lights. Red orange yellow green white and blue on each side. They started out life as a strand of large bulbed christmas lights a snip here and some wire added there and a little hot glue and they are installed .

:thumbsup:Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tearhead » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

lit up my Coleman double mantle white gas lantern and crawled inside and cracked open a window and read for a few hours before turning in. Made it very comfortable in there.

Wolffarmer, that must be one big lantern, if you were able to crawl inside it! :D
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Usually camp at state campgroounds, and they have street lights ever so often, and then I camp near the shower/restroom so it is never pitch black. Use flashlight for look for things or propane lantern turned on low for a little bit of light.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hiker chick » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Campfire, stars, moon.

Perhaps a candle lantern on the table during dinner.

Headlamp if I'm reading.

Gave my Coleman Duel-Fuel away years ago. Bug magnet.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Evil Skippy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:25 pm

bobhenry wrote:Man I forgot the best part of my barn build......

under the eves party lights.

At gatherings I can hardly wait for dark to show off my built in party lights. Red orange yellow green white and blue on each side. They started out life as a strand of large bulbed christmas lights a snip here and some wire added there and a little hot glue and they are installed .

:thumbsup:Image

That is a sweet setup Bob. :thumbsup:

digitally
Evil_Skippy
Great minds think alike.......and fools seldom differ.
Evil Skippy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:17 am

I have both 120 ac and 12vdc inside. I also have florescent lights in the galley. When it is dark and I don't need a lot of light I use an amber rope light in the galley and clamped on the first up. I use mini-clamps from harbor freight. Just enough light without attracting bugs.

Oh we have flash lights too. ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets