TearTable ... Direct download of plans on Page 7!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby afreegreek » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:28 pm

Corwin C wrote:
afreegreek wrote:METRIC ... LOL! when you can divide 10 into 3 equal parts let me know.. I might be interested in this "superior" system... on second thought, learned it, tried it, tossed it to the side..

To date, I've been unable to find 3 1/3 inches on my tape measure...does yours have marks that mine doesn't?! :lol:
yup. my framing/rafter square is 1/8" and 1/16" one side and 1/10" and 1/12" on the other. I also have a 24" Starrett ruler that is the same.. so ya, I can show you 3-4/12"
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Ward » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:15 pm

Ok I have all of the table laid out and ready to cut, I didnt get any pics because it looks exactly as Corwin's plan.

Regards
07' Harley Street Bob
04 f350 4x4 powerstroke
10' GMC Acadia 8 passenger SLT (TV)

***NO REGRETS******
Ward
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 pm

I would like a set of the tear plans also please, but also am bound by 2 1/2 feet of snow so will be a while before I attempt the build.

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Ward wrote:<snip>

I do have one concern and that is there isn't going to be much left on the seat legs at the dowel notch, and the plans only give the center for the notch.

<snip>

One quick comment ... hopefully I'm not too late to prevent a mistake. The placement for the dowel isn't a notch, it is a 3/8" hole in the edge grain of the ply. It is tough to draw this without having a 3-view of each part (trying to keep things simple). The drawings are so small that the hidden line didn't show up in the plans as I expected it to. (I'm open for suggestions, possibly a different color?) That is why only the center, diameter, and the depth is needed to properly locate that detail. There should be more than adequate strength (at least as much as the dowel) because it has the support of the two faces of ply.

Otherwise you look to be progressing nicely

Nice catch BTW. Looks like you had fun fishin' :applause:
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Corwin C » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:44 pm

afreegreek wrote:
Corwin C wrote:
afreegreek wrote:METRIC ... LOL! when you can divide 10 into 3 equal parts let me know.. I might be interested in this "superior" system... on second thought, learned it, tried it, tossed it to the side..

To date, I've been unable to find 3 1/3 inches on my tape measure...does yours have marks that mine doesn't?! :lol:
yup. my framing/rafter square is 1/8" and 1/16" one side and 1/10" and 1/12" on the other. I also have a 24" Starrett ruler that is the same.. so ya, I can show you 3-4/12"

I'll be dipped :shock: my framing square has that too ... I guess it's possible to not know everything :lol: :R
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby afreegreek » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Corwin C wrote:
afreegreek wrote:
Corwin C wrote:

I'll be dipped :shock: my framing square has that too ... I guess it's possible to not know everything :lol: :R
I'll give you another little tidbit.. a rafter square is marked as mentioned above. it's like that for calculating rise and run as well as other things. but a framing square is marked in 1/8 and 1/16" on both sides..

there's a book that's a great read it's called "how to use the steel square"

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 6096,46100
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby Ward » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Corwin, got the message, I have not made any cuts yet so your message came just in time :shock:

I have read countless articles and instruction manuals for different things I just wish I could remember more.

Regards
07' Harley Street Bob
04 f350 4x4 powerstroke
10' GMC Acadia 8 passenger SLT (TV)

***NO REGRETS******
Ward
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dragonryder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I hope it's not too late. I would love to get a set of those plans.

Thank you very much.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

Postby rboser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi,
Can I also get a copy of the plans?
Thanks,
-Bob

[email protected]
-Bob
Camp-Inn 560
rboser
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:56 pm

The snow finally melted, the mud dried up, finally feels like spring. Couldn't stand it anymore, time to do something outside.

I didn't have any good ply, nor the $$$ to get some, so this prototype is made out of salvaged pressure treated 3/4 ply "liberated" (yes, I did ask) from a construction site. Unfortunately it spent the winter out in the weather and is in less than stellar condition, but I'm going to forge ahead anyway. This one will definitely be painted. Maybe the Mrs. will help me with some kind of faux finish.

Anyway, to the pics (YAY!!!) Please ignore the "rustic" nature of my "workshop." (Lots of work to do before summer gets into full swing)

Started by cutting out the legs ...

Then cut out the top ...

Seat supports ...

And finally the seats ... (the first one anyway)

... more to come. Sanding, rounding over edges, dowel pins, finish, etc.

Initial thoughts ... not as comfortable as the big table (can't stretch out legs), but would be ideal for a board game or dinner with people that you like (the space available is reminiscent of sitting at a card table). It doesn't feel as sturdy as the big table either, but that may be a factor of the marginal materials that I'm using and the not-quite-perfectly-flat floor.
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Cool, I love it when people build things I've been eyeing. :lol: Can you connect the ends of the seats together somehow? I bet that would make it a lot sturdier.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm

bdosborn wrote:Cool, I love it when people build things I've been eyeing. :lol: Can you connect the ends of the seats together somehow? I bet that would make it a lot sturdier.
Bruce

One of the requirements I have set for my tables is that it is possible to sit down without swinging your feet/legs over any obstacle. This is to assist those who are less agile than your average camper. Yes it would make it a lot sturdier, however, I don't think that it is necessary.

My comments in that previous post were in comparison to the large table. The large table just feels a bit more solid to me.
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

TearTable ... Correction to Plans

Postby Corwin C » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:31 pm

UPDATE: TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE RECEIVED A SET OF THESE PLANS ...

I found a minor error in the drawings/dimensions today...

The slot that the seat support slides into is 1/4" too short. Adjust the 18 3/4" dimension for that slot to 19". This will raise the top of the slot so the seat supports can be slid into place.

This modification has been made to the plans. Plans e-mailed today and after (18 April 2010) will have this modification. If you would like a new copy or further description of the change, feel free to contact me.
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Corwin C » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Here it is, ready for finishing ...

Monopoly board to help show scale ...

It turned out nice despite the harsh ply that I used (it was free, but notice the weather checks!). Overall, I'm pleased with the results, only one snafu on the plans (see above post). A nice layer of paint (trying to talk the Mrs. into helping with a faux finish) and it will be ready for use.

FYI -- I have it stored in a space that is only 30" x 48" x 3 3/4", assuming that your ply is flat (this one has a stack of dutch ovens on it trying to "retrain" flat.) Also, if you can get the 30" square top through your door, I'm confident that you will be able to put this on (or under) your bed to haul it to your destination.

Still welcoming comments/suggestions and I would LOVE to see some pictures of other TearTables that have been built.
Corwin
Image Image Image
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Dragonryder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:10 am

Well done!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: That's what I love about this site. The wonderful creativity that is displayed. By the way, I like the rustic look. My camper shows the rough wood under the paint. Looks fine to me. :)
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion