Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Looks like its a race to the finish for us Paul! Its really looking great! I'm getting almost excited to see yours finished as I am my own!

In all honesty, it's not a fair race, you're building a real hatch, and more elaborate galley, so I have a definite advantage!

Hurry up then!

:applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

:shhh:

Ok, if everyone promises not to tell.. I'll admit that I made a mistake.

:shock:

I forgot to allow for the curve of my back hatch, and when I put it in place, there was a gap at all four corners. I put these corners in, added some bondo, and all better now.

I was able to give the trailer another sanding, and apply coat number three of polyester resin. I had to get out my camp light to finish as it was getting dark... too dark for a decent picture.

If tomorrow's weather is good, sand again, and coat number four of resin, then one more sanding, one more coat, one more sanding, and epoxy primer!!!!!

If all goes well, it will be painted this weekend. Cross your fingers.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Its ok Paul, I'm sure its happened to everyone on here! I actually had some issues with the width of my galley hatch.... It came out a half inch too narrow!

I know, I know: Measure twice, cut once!

Well I DID measure twice! Unfortunately it was the wrong measurement :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Paul:
I loved what Thomas (2bits) wrote in my build thread and am quoting him here:

...many times I have done this and still over looked something, especially when you get deeper into the build and you find that you have made an error that completely invalidates your plans... So what do you do? change your plans, think on your toes and invent, create, accommodate, and just like writing a song, sometimes and error will lead you to a different way of thinking that in the beginning is just a compensation, but in the end you like better than the original plan! (I screwed up my headliner cutting my moonroof hole, but now I get to make a really cool cover for it). So think hard and expect the errors, you will find ways to fix em that you like ...better

His comments still make me feel better about my build. Maybe they will help you too.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Sharon:

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Actually I made one other mistake, but it is completely hidden by the roof and galley.. so no one will ever no it's there but me.

I'm pretty good at bouncing back from mistakes.. I've been married three times. :? :lol:

Currently single (and loving it)
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:01 pm

No pictures today, but I did manage to sand the entire trailer, and put yet another coat of polyester resin on. That makes four, only one more to go.

I also ran to the box store and bought two 2x4 pieces of 1/4 birch ply to use in the interior to hide the plywood from the galley which isn't as good quality as the walls and roof. I purchased a quart of sparthane or whatever it's called. Light oak, so the interior will stay a very light color. Grabbed some electrical connectors and rear red clearance lights so everything will be legal when I finish the wiring.

I also ripped two board, and dadoed them to use on the inside to hide the wires going to the light and the fan. Since my walls are solid, I had to be a little creative to cover up those ugly wires.

If the resin dries enough tonight, I might actually venture out and start on the interior. Tomorrow is supposed to be 69 degrees and sunny so hoping for another productive day. I'm being a little more realistic, and don't expect I'll get any paint on this weekend though. :cry:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Well visible progress has slowed, but I am getting things done. I got about half the second coat of spar urethane on tonight before my shoulder started aching and it got too dark.

The inner surface of the luan got very dark with the first coat, but it still is fairly light.

I'm also starting to plan how I will finish off the galley area. I want to build a shelf with a front cut out faschia (I don't know if that's the right word). Something so the stuff I put on the shelf will basically stay put. I've scavenged 10 spice bottles with shaker tops for my various spices, and I just have to measure a few other odds-n-ends to make sure I make the shelf area deep enough.

I also have to do some more reading tonight to see what the correct procedure is between coats of the spar urethane, to get the best looking finish.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Lookin good Paul! I used Helmsman's Spar Urethane from Lowes, and it definitely darkened all the wood and gave the grain greater definition. I had purchased some stain, but after testing the spar urethane on a scrap piece of wood I decided that it would be enough.

After the first coat of the spar urethane had dried completely, I sanded everything lightly using 220 grit, going with the grain. After using tack cloth to remove the sanding dust I put down 2 more coats, without sanding any more. I used satin urethane, and wasnt going for a high gloss appearance, but it still turned out extremely nicely, and I really wouldn't do it any different if I had to do it again.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 pm

After the first coat of the spar urethane had dried completely, I sanded everything lightly using 220 grit, going with the grain.

I've been reading for a while now, and 220 seems to be the general consensus. Sanding is gonna be such a <insert derogatory word here>!!

I'm thinking of spraying the third coat so I don't have to sand afterwards.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Things certainly have slowed down.. today I got the fourth coat of resin sanded. I sanded a little deeper than the first three coats, trying to get more smoothness. I've decided it will never be completely smooth unless I'm willing to do several more coats of resin and several more overall sandings. That would delay my completion by 3 or 4 weeks and I'm not that fussy about perfection.

I taped off the windows, roof vent, and the rear hatch, so it's almost completely ready for epoxy primer. I need to tape off the frame and I'll actually tape off the door and put that in place to fill the last hole. I couldn't figure out a way to do the door completely from the outside.

Now I have to cross my fingers that it will get warm enough to paint before the paper blows in. Tomorrow is real iffy unless the forecast has changed.

I also managed a trip to wally world, and bought the screen for my canopy, and a 105 amp deep cycle battery, and some material to make curtains with. A trip to the box store got me the brackets to mount my fenders, and curtain rods.

I was lucky today, and my income tax refund hit my bank, so I can order my mattress too. I had run out of money a few weeks ago, so had to put off the last of the things I needed.

Wish me luck on the weather!!!!!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:08 pm

:applause: :applause: It is all coming together nicely there Paul. :applause: :applause: Keep up the good work.
(I know what you mean about the refund check...mine should hit Monday)
Rod :) :)
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby grizz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 am

Looking forward to the paint on this one.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

What did I get done today? ....

Well, I cut the brackets for my fenders and got them mounted.

And I realized that the bolts I purchased to mount them to the trailer are too short.
:x

I finished the taping of the trailer so it's all ready for primer... except for the weather. It never made it past 55 today, and epoxy primer would take forever to dry. The can says not recommended for temperatures below 60.

I'm going to ask for Tuesday or Wednesday off, as both days will be close to 70 degrees, and that is ideal. Much warmer and all the buggies will be in the air, although I do know that a couple bugs are required in any home paint job.

:lol:

One other dumb thing I realized that I did.. I taped off my galley area with my palm sander inside, so if I decide to sand the primer coat, I'll have that to re-tape. I'm really hoping that I can just let the epoxy cure for a couple hours and put the color coat down the same day.
:worship:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Wow, Paul! You're making good progress! At the present rate, you may be done in a couple weeks! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks Sharon!

I'd really love to make a surprise tearstock visit.

There are lots of little details, trim pieces, tongue box, galley, etc, but I'm really hoping for campable by May 1st. If my boss will give me a day off this week, it's possible. I have a garage sale this Saturday, and my nephew is getting married the following weekend.. so I'm losing a couple days. It's gonna be tight!
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals