Trade-In Value

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Trade-In Value

Postby flip18436572 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow, do bikes really depreciate that quickly?

I went to trade in two of my Jamis' bikes for a 2008 closeout and they would only give me $300.00 for bikes that I paid over $1200.00 and they are three years old and 2 years old and in great condition.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Re: Trade-In Value

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:41 pm

flip18436572 wrote:Wow, do bikes really depreciate that quickly?

I went to trade in two of my Jamis' bikes for a 2008 closeout and they would only give me $300.00 for bikes that I paid over $1200.00 and they are three years old and 2 years old and in great condition.

a lot of places don't really want trade in's

while there are a lot of variables.. used stuff... will usually sell for 1/2 of what it did new. If they are taking it in trade.. they of course give less, and will generally tune it up..

at first it sounds low.. but again there are a lot of variables.. and a locations market.. dictates a lot of that.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm

You're better off trying to sell it yourself... craigslist, ebay, the local paper etc...

You'll still take a loss, but it won't be as bad.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby flip18436572 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:45 pm

I have them listed on craigslist, but I was hoping for a better deal than what I was offered as many bikes as I have purchased from that LBS.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby Pottercounty » Sun May 09, 2010 6:08 am

How are they supposed to make a resale profit if they paid you more than $300 bucks?
best, Tim

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
Pottercounty
The 300 Club

Postby flip18436572 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 am

Pottercounty wrote:How are they supposed to make a resale profit if they paid you more than $300 bucks?

I understand they need resale profit, but i was shocked at that price, because one of the bikes has $500 wheels on it. I sold one of the bikes for $200 the next day by posting on craigslist, and I know I could have sold it for more if I would hold off, but I didn't ride it enough to keep anymore.

I had an offer on the other one, but decided not to sell it.

I know as a small business owner, at one point, that you can't give things away and you have to make money to stay in business. I just wasn't expecting to hear that low of number, also since I am a good customer of theirs, and am one of the few that restock their beer fridge.
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 am

flip18436572 wrote:
Pottercounty wrote:How are they supposed to make a resale profit if they paid you more than $300 bucks?

I understand they need resale profit, but i was shocked at that price, because one of the bikes has $500 wheels on it. I sold one of the bikes for $200 the next day by posting on craigslist, and I know I could have sold it for more if I would hold off, but I didn't ride it enough to keep anymore.

I had an offer on the other one, but decided not to sell it.

I know as a small business owner, at one point, that you can't give things away and you have to make money to stay in business. I just wasn't expecting to hear that low of number, also since I am a good customer of theirs, and am one of the few that restock their beer fridge.

Not that I drink anymore.. but how about moving back east.. we could use a few customers like you... :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby kennyrayandersen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Bikes really depreciate fast. I think Mike is about right. If you sell, you get about half what you paid (that’s for a gently used 2-3 year old bike – any older than that and it will really plummet), but the bike shop has to tune it up and stand behind it, so they really can’t give you too much [even if they love you in a non romantic way]. I bought a slightly used frame for $1600 that was normally $2600 and it looked virtually new and it wasn’t very old. The dude was trading it in on a $10,000 dollar bike, so maybe he isn’t so sensitive to the loss :lol:

Things you can do to minimize your loss. You could get some cheap wheels to throw on and keep the nice ones, save the bike for rainy-day riding, or even cannibalize it for parts. You could sell it for the same price that the bike shop will give you to a friend or relative to start them riding (at least it will make you feel good). Or, like was suggested, sell it on Crag’s list or one of the bike forums.

The only way to really save money is to buy a bike and then ride the wheels off of it. I ride a pretty fair amount and I usually get maybe 7 years or so out of a bike. You can also, much like a car, buy a 1 or 2 year old bike and let the first guy take most of the depreciation. I swear some people belong to the bike-of-the-month club (their loss, your gain).

If that’s not your cup of tea, a great time to look for a bike is November or December (huh? just like a car!) when the new models come out. The LBS often gets special deals and incentives from the manufacturer that they can, and usually do, pass on to you. I bought a MTB the first of this year that was a 2009 model on close out and I saved 30% right off the top. I would have never spent what the usual retail price range since it was kind of expensive, but with the discount, it wasn’t so bad. Usually there isn’t that much that changes from year to year and so for me it’s worth getting a closeout and this is actually how I usually buy my bikes.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Bicycles