Bikes - and their addiction.

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby mk10108 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:Yep, It's an addiction...

For example, in my stable I have:

Specialized Crosstrail
Cannondale F5
Sirrus Sport
Schwinn Tourist

Mike...

Talk to me about the crosstrail. Could it pull double duty as a touring bike?
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby Yuri4x4 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 am

I used to build and ride BMX bikes, riding half-pipes/etc. Got a mountain bike to pedal around base in the Navy... When I moved back to PA, I went bikeless for quite some time. But something was missing in my life, and I never could place what it was...

A couple back surgeries later... I broke-down and bought another bike. Figuring with one less disc, I better get something more upright. So I bought a comfort bike. When gas prices shot-up, I started riding it (plus the train) to work. I kept adapting things, adding lights/skinnier tires/ect. to where I eventually had a flat-bar, road bike-ish creation. I rode it that way for over a year, and saves ALOT of gas!

Tax time came around, and I figured I was rehabbed enough to buy a road bike. The comfort bike got big tires put back on it, and is still used for hauling the kid trailer, or Walmart grocery runs. The roady is my primary transportation to work (along with the train). It's not possible to ride the entire trip... I have to take the train for some of it because of the neighborhood. But I do manage to get 50-60 miles of commute a week on my road bike on a normal week. This year (Jan 2nd), I decided to get back on the bike throughout the Winter. The roady got fenders. Now I ride in rain, snow, whatever...

The wife just recently started rolling with me. We pull a kiddie trailer 5 miles down the bike trail to go to Walmart. So we do one big grocery shop in the van, then use our bikes for small trips. We'll even ride to McDonalds on occasion :)

Fo me, a bike was something I had been missing in my life for quite some time. I would even go as far as saying that I may have never needed back surgery if I had kept riding! So it would be safe to say that I will probably have bikes the rest of my life. :applause:
Yuri4x4
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Yuri4x4 wrote:I used to build and ride BMX bikes, riding half-pipes/etc. Got a mountain bike to pedal around base in the Navy... When I moved back to PA, I went bikeless for quite some time. But something was missing in my life, and I never could place what it was...

A couple back surgeries later... I broke-down and bought another bike. Figuring with one less disc, I better get something more upright. So I bought a comfort bike. When gas prices shot-up, I started riding it (plus the train) to work. I kept adapting things, adding lights/skinnier tires/ect. to where I eventually had a flat-bar, road bike-ish creation. I rode it that way for over a year, and saves ALOT of gas!

Tax time came around, and I figured I was rehabbed enough to buy a road bike. The comfort bike got big tires put back on it, and is still used for hauling the kid trailer, or Walmart grocery runs. The roady is my primary transportation to work (along with the train). It's not possible to ride the entire trip... I have to take the train for some of it because of the neighborhood. But I do manage to get 50-60 miles of commute a week on my road bike on a normal week. This year (Jan 2nd), I decided to get back on the bike throughout the Winter. The roady got fenders. Now I ride in rain, snow, whatever...

The wife just recently started rolling with me. We pull a kiddie trailer 5 miles down the bike trail to go to Walmart. So we do one big grocery shop in the van, then use our bikes for small trips. We'll even ride to McDonalds on occasion :)

Fo me, a bike was something I had been missing in my life for quite some time. I would even go as far as saying that I may have never needed back surgery if I had kept riding! So it would be safe to say that I will probably have bikes the rest of my life. :applause:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: welcome back... :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm

mk10108 wrote:

Specialized Crosstrail
Cannondale F5
Sirrus Sport
Schwinn Tourist

Mike...

The crosstrail looks like a mountain bike with 700C wheels. I don't think it would work well as a touring bike.

I average 10 mph on the Crosstrail, on the trail. It's heavy, it's slow... but it's really comfortable!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:47 pm

mikeschn wrote:
mk10108 wrote:

Specialized Crosstrail
Cannondale F5
Sirrus Sport
Schwinn Tourist

Mike...

The crosstrail looks like a mountain bike with 700C wheels. I don't think it would work well as a touring bike.

I average 10 mph on the Crosstrail, on the trail. It's heavy, it's slow... but it's really comfortable!

Mike...

But if you did want to set it up as a touring bike, this is how it would look...

Scott G.

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

It's an addiction?

Postby b1kebox » Sat May 01, 2010 1:42 pm

It's not an addiction if you ride them, only if you just squirrel them away. In a typical month I may ride 20 different bikes, have owned 61 as an adult and currently have just under half of them.
b1kebox
Teardrop Inspector

Re: It's an addiction?

Postby Oasis Maker » Sat May 01, 2010 3:00 pm

b1kebox wrote:It's not an addiction if you ride them, only if you just squirrel them away. In a typical month I may ride 20 different bikes, have owned 61 as an adult and currently have just under half of them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner. A new king has arrived in Bike World. With 61 past and close to 25 or 30 present bikes, riding 20 of those in any given month... I give you THE NEW KING OF THE BIKE JONES!!!! ...................

B1KEBOX!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Former champ Glenn will present the award.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:
mikeschn wrote:
mk10108 wrote:

Specialized Crosstrail
Cannondale F5
Sirrus Sport
Schwinn Tourist

Mike...

Mike...

But if you did want to set it up as a touring bike, this is how it would look...

Scott G.

That would work! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby flip18436572 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:39 pm

b1kebox wrote:It's not an addiction if you ride them, only if you just squirrel them away. In a typical month I may ride 20 different bikes, have owned 61 as an adult and currently have just under half of them.

HOLY COW!!!!!

And my wife thought I was bad!!!!!
flip18436572
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner. A new king has arrived in Bike World. With 61 past and close to 25 or 30 present bikes, riding 20 of those in any given month... I give you THE NEW KING OF THE BIKE JONES!!!! ...................

B1KEBOX!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Former champ Glenn will present the award.

hold on... hold on.. hold on.. I am not ready to concede yet.

:roll: :roll:

I am not sure my exact number at the moment.. but I currently have 25 to 30 bikes.

I have probably only owned between 40 and 50 bikes in my life.

Do tandems count as 1 bike or 2 :thinking: :roll: 8)

but then.. my unicycle.. is that 1 or 1/2 ???

I have paid more for my bike / than my car.. I buy vehicles now based on their bike hauling capabilities. And my paycheck comes from my addiction.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun May 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Whoa man - this is close! :shock:

Well I guess it's all going to boil down to how you two score on the question segment of the contest... here it goes...

:lol:
Scott G.
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby b1kebox » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Fenlason wrote:Do tandems count as 1 bike or 2 :thinking: :roll: 8)
but then.. my unicycle.. is that 1 or 1/2 ?

Fenlason, you are the man, I've never owned or even tried to ride a unicyle. Tandems, yes, we've had seven, and currently two. We rode our Rans Dynamic Duo Crank Forward to breakfast this morning and also have a Barcroft Columbia. My newest bike ia a Cruzbike Quest 451 folding moving bottom bracket (MBB) bike. Fits into the same Samsonite suitcase as my Bike Fridays.
b1kebox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:Whoa man - this is close! :shock:

Well I guess it's all going to boil down to how you two score on the question segment of the contest... here it goes...

:lol:
Scott G.

can I answer second... :roll: :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

b1kebox wrote:
Fenlason wrote:Do tandems count as 1 bike or 2 :thinking: :roll: 8)
but then.. my unicycle.. is that 1 or 1/2 ?

Fenlason, you are the man, I've never owned or even tried to ride a unicyle. Tandems, yes, we've had seven, and currently two. We rode our Rans Dynamic Duo Crank Forward to breakfast this morning and also have a Barcroft Columbia. My newest bike ia a Cruzbike Quest 451 folding moving bottom bracket (MBB) bike. Fits into the same Samsonite suitcase as my Bike Fridays.

The unicycle.. was "required" at a previous bike shop job. The own challenged us all to learn it. I think there were 4 of us there at the time.. two of us semi learned it, one not much at all. One got quite serious about it, and did a bit of commuting by unicycle.

Those are some "different" bikes you have there, what else do you have?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 03, 2010 8:35 pm

I definitely don't ride 20 different bikes a month. Unlessssss.... I can count the bikes I test ride at work... :o :twisted: :twisted:

A lot of my bikes are purpose driven. For example my ice racing bike, only gets riddden during ice season. Some of my nice road bikes.. don't get ridden in the winter... so they are seasonal considerations.

In my collection, I have a cyclecross bike. I might go a year.. and not ride it, preferring a mountain bike for my off road use. Then another year.. spend more time on the cross bike.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles