"Build" a camper?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What did others say when you said you'd build a camper?

Poll ended at Tue May 25, 2010 12:55 am

a. Sounds like fun, can I help?
6%
b. Why not just buy one?
19%
c. What are you, nuts or something?
44%
d. other
31%

Total votes : 32

"Build" a camper?

Postby Stressbot » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:55 am

I announced my plans to my friends and family.
They were less than enthusiastic. How about yours?
;)
The gooney bird always flies backwards because it wants to see where it's been, not where it's going. It doesn't care where it's going as long as it gets to where it went.
Stressbot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:18 am

Well, I don't know about friends because I don't ask for their opinion on any of my builds. But when I told my wife that beings how I can't find my parents old teardrop, I was going to build one. She thought I was crazy. :? And some of my friends couldn't believe I was building it with just hand tools. :thinking: So I clicked on 'C'.

Last edited by Gage on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:27 am

" You're gonna build a what ? "
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:12 am

Teardrops and TTT's can be a real little Red Hen Story...lots of people will poo-poo the idea, but eventually will warm up to it as you go along. Just blow off the naysayers and stay focused on what your goal is. Some may be so bold as to ask if they can use it once finished....I remind them that they must be kidding.

I have loaned finished tears out however, to people that I trust and know that they will take wonderful care of it knowing just how hard I worked to complete my project. Those that I have done that with have purchased it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Carter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:33 am

My wife thought I was nuts. She, with good reason, thought I would never finish it. By the time it was done she had her sister over showing it off and gives "tours" on every trip. She pouts when I mention selling it.
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:15 am

I built my first Tear back in the early 80's. And at that time there was really nobody around to comment on my build.

As far as all my friends & family it was just Lenny making some kind of "Crazy contraption" out in the garage.

And with good reason, up until then I had built all sorts of "Crazy Contraptions" out in my garage.

Boats, Ice Boats, a Hot tub, the first Truck Cap that I'd ever seen, an Airplane and yes even a Submarine, (The Sub was short lived, my brother and I almost died in that one).

And then I moved into Volkswagen's.
Well there just isn't enough time to go into VW's.

I do remember somebody saying to me after I told them it was a Camping Trailer....

Don't you usually BUY them?

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ageless » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Most of my friends are off-center as I am (birds of a feather) so anything off-the wall is SOP
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:21 pm

I went with other.
My friends think I'm kinda "off my rocker" anyway. They'd think nothing of it if I was wearing a gas mask sitting on the back deck reading a book. The usual reaction that I got was "What are you building now?", or "OK, what is it, a mobile bomb shelter or something?". They'd usually just shake their head and grab a beer while I explained it to them.

The lady friend and I went camping on the scooter this weekend and I took my little hiking tent.
Waking to a storm with blowing rain and sleeping on the ground this weekend with one pole collapsed, she declared... "After sleeping in that Stumble Inn "contraption" of yours, WE'RE going to have to build one for the motorcycle."

Needless to say, I think the next one will get a "can I help?".
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:35 pm

I had to choose "other," because most folks thought it was a neat idea -- as in, "Sounds like fun," but without the offer to help. :lol:

My friends and family already thought I was nuts long before I started to build a teardrop. :roll:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Most people responded with, "COOL!"
It was a wonderful way to ease into retirement.
No one makes anything any more, they just borrow the money and buy what they want. Too bad, they're missing out on a lot of fun.

Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby darnis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:50 pm

We haven't officially started yet - waiting until we go up Saturday to check out everyone's build and get some more photos. We have shown the plans around, however, and have gotten one 'why not buy' and one 'build a what' but most know us well and expect ANYTHING from us - thus voted 'other'. :D
darnis
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 am

Wife thought I was a little nuts cause I tend to start projects and never finish and she wasn't a big camper. I say wasn't cause now she's ready to go and loves the camper. Mind you it's still not finished after 4 years but I'm about to have the galley cabinet dorrs done :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Scott,

Sounds as if you and I have things in common. Our TD is nicely done for camping, but I still have things I want to do top make it even better. I don't think it'll ever be done, done, but we still can enjoy our trips and be comfortable camping. Sorta like a home-you can live there but there's always something you'd like to do to it if you have the time and the money.
As an example, I want to get my ham radio gear to the point I can take it with us to some wild places.

Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Fri May 07, 2010 2:13 pm

I went with other. Most don't know what it is, and buy everything, never thinking about building. In their defense, they usually do not have the skills, tools, or time. Or inclination.

If you go to a rally, about 65% will be homebuilts... crazy people tend to stick together.. and share ideas... for the next one.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby starleen2 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 pm

More fun to build :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Next

Return to User Polls