Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Postby parnold » Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 pm

I bought this off ebay because I thought it looked cool, and unique. Of course, I did not research it ahead of time.

Now that I'm researching it, I'm running into a brick wall trying to locate the cylinders. Does anyone know of a possible conversion kit, or modification I might be able to make so I can fire this puppy up?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm

That's the problem with the picnic stoves. They don't make the canisters for them anymore. Maybe Jeremy will jump in with some input. I have heard of others that have tried to adapt them, but haven't heard of a lot of success stories. Might want to pose the question over on the Coleman forum. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby High Desert » Fri May 14, 2010 10:08 pm

There was supposedly an adapter made at one time but haven't heard of anyone that has one. I've also heard that there is a way to recharge the original canisters but can't verify as to the specifics. There are usually some canisters on Ebay if you didn't get any with the stove. I've have wondered how the plumbing is assembled too, to see if the connections could be changed to the newer style. Maybe a propane supplier could help?

Thats a cool, nice condition old stove and the aluminim ones are less common, hope you can find a way to make fire with it again. Please let us know if you find a way.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 14, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm sort of surprised that you can't find them....after all, the box says "NEW" :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby High Desert » Fri May 14, 2010 10:35 pm

doug hodder wrote:I'm sort of surprised that you can't find them....after all, the box says "NEW" :lol: :lol: Doug

yeah, what's up with that? :lol: :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Fri May 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I have one I converted to run on propane. It does not work real well. I can't seem to get the right fuel air mixture to get it hot enough to boil water. I can tell you that I used 1/8" copper lines with flare nuts to plumb it from the valve and I made a distribution line out of copper fittings that had a fitting for a 1# bottle. That did not work. I then found a hose with 10# (or 15#) regulator and it worked better. That is where it is today.

As for the bottles, no they can not be refilled. They have a rubber tit on the end you puncture when it is inserted into the stove. Once attached, you cannot take it back off until it is empty. I have 1 full bottle.

As for the adapter, yes you can buy one for about $35 but it will only work on one burner. You would need 2 & 2 tanks.

Jeremy
Last edited by rainjer on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby parnold » Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Sounds like I'm in for a challenge. I have a few propane stoves that I can scavenge parts from, maybe I'll replace the burners with ones from a more modern stove.

:thinking:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sun May 16, 2010 11:58 am

My dad used to have a Coleman lantern that used those canisters. Don't know what every happened to it. Considering that you can't get the canisters, there's probably no loss in it being gone.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby gregp136 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:53 am

Did you ever get it burning?

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby Mark72 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Joanne wrote:My dad used to have a Coleman lantern that used those canisters. Don't know what every happened to it. Considering that you can't get the canisters, there's probably no loss in it being gone.

Joanne

Joanne, Unlike the stove I think it would be possible to convert that lantern to use propane as a mounted light fixture. I've been looking for a few to try this on but there seems to be none of those in my area.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Paul: I have a couple of the single burner picnic stoves and as I understand it the original gas canisters were outlawed in the 70's. Also heard that the original burners won't work right on the newer style propane cans. I started to refit one of my stoves with a burner and other parts from a newer stove but never finished that project. Maybe this winter I can get to it. Another neat little stove is the coleman 5418-708 which is a single burner that has two foldout legs and the propane can is the third leg. I have 2 or 3 of those, the ones with the wire type rack are the best, some have just flat metal pot supports that aren't so good. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 am

I always thought those were neat looking stoves...I dunno BUT, I wonder if they were meant to run on butane as opposed to propane.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mary and bob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:12 am

One of the stoves that I bought on ebay came with an empty canister. It says "LP gas" on it. I also have a coffee pot that has a burner under it and has a similar canister on the side of it but that one may screw on. It had enough gas in it to fire it up once and make coffee, but we just use it for show when we do a cruise-in or car show. The picnic stoves also were made in pink and green. Met an old coleman salesman at a car show a couple years ago who told me what stoves were made what years but stupid me didn't write it down so I don't remember what he said. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Re: Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Postby ukewarrior » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:35 am

Has Anyone been able to convert these 5409 stoves, and derivatives to run on the LP gas tanks and regulators currently available?

These are very neat looking stoves and can shine up nice with a cool retro look.

But, I don't want one to have as a decoration and would want it to work.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Re: Fuel Canisters for Coleman 5409 picnic stove??

Postby dales133 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 am

Got a pic?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment