Trailer tire or Passenger tire

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Trailer tire or Passenger tire

Postby streetrod23 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 am

Just wondering what type of tires people are running. With the light weight of a teardrop I am considering a passenger car tire
streetrod23
Teardrop Builder

Postby len19070 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:38 am

I just put a good set of Auto tires on my Scotty, a relatively heavy Tiny Trailer.

And have done the same over the years with other "Single Axle Trailers"

I would never do it with a twin axle trailer as the stress on the sidewalls when turning is in my opinion a bit excessive for auto tires.

Besides, you can't get trailer tires with Wide Whitewalls.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Trailer tire or Passenger tire

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 am

streetrod23 wrote:Just wondering what type of tires people are running. With the light weight of a teardrop I am considering a passenger car tire

Good idea. Trailer tires have rigid side walls for heavy loads, more bounce for a relatively light weight camper. Some also smooth out the ride even more by running with a little less air than the tires are rated for.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Steve, I have a 12 cargo trailer. Does not carry too much weight, but my tire guy insists that I have trailer tires, which are more expensive.

Thoughts?

On my tear I use car tires. They don't make trailer tires that size, I don't believe, and if they did I'd still use car tires.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 am

len19070 wrote:Besides, you can't get trailer tires with Wide Whitewalls.
Happy Trails

Len

I'm with you on that Len!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby caseydog » Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

The whole idea behind trailer tires is that they have stronger sidewalls to carry more weight without building excessive heat. Excessive heat causes tire failures (spontaneous blowouts). Too much weight for the tire or too little air in the tire causes excessive heat.

So, on a teardrop that does not weigh a whole lot, you really do not need a trailer tire. Also, do some testing to find the optimum air pressure for your tires on your TD.

I use passenger radials on my roughly 750 pound TD, and only air them up to about 24 pounds, to reduce bounce. I have tested this setup, and even after hours of driving at highway speeds in summer temperatures, the tires remain just warm, not hot.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu May 20, 2010 4:32 pm

A higher preasure/harder tire means less rolling resistance e.g. the street slicks on our tandem bicycle runs at 110LB PSI and the MTB tires run at 45 Lbs.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Tires

Postby eamarquardt » Thu May 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm not sure that I buy the argument that a tandem axle trailer puts too much stress on the sidewalls when turning or at least enough to worry about. I believe the biggest consideration is the capacity of the tires you are using. I have run auto tires on my tandem axle for years w/o a single problem (aside from stray nails). They are rated for about 1500# each so the trailer can be up to 6,000# w/o exceeding the capacity of the tires at 35psi. I just got a set of 4 trailer tires for free! They are rated 2,800# each at 80psi. Mounted on my trailer the capacity would go up to 11,200#! That, of course, will never happen. I'd just make sure you are within the limits of the tires you are using.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to User Polls