Handling it alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby robertaw » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

Well this is certainly the right time of year to sell your 5th wheel! :D

I always wanted a TD too but will never be able to go that small due to my very messed up knees. One day i would like to have a tiny standie just big enough for one or two people.

Having a TD would force you to be out enjoying the world around you instead of hanging out in your home on wheels. I like that aspect of it. Not much sense in traveling if you don't get out and experience the placess.
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby godskid » Thu May 20, 2010 1:45 pm

I hitched my teardrop by myself last night, for the first time. Those yellow balls on sticks were marvelous! I got it right the first time -- with a little bit of 1" jiggling.

Backing the teardrop back INTO the garage was another matter. Fortunately, a neighbor came over, and we hand pushed it into the garage. I think I need a trailer dolly. This one is on sale for $49.99 ($10 less than Northern Tool's) and has 12" wheels instead of 10" Harbor Freight's dolly: http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty ... 37510.html

And I will also go find a parking lot to practice in!

Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby gypsy97 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Would a trailer dolly be any easier than just backing up the TD, and if so, why is that?

Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Backing up at t/d is difficult in tight spaces.. even in c/g's, I get out several times to be sure the trees and picnic table haven't moved.. if someone is available, I ask them to watch my butt....

Getting into a garage is usually difficult as you can't really see the sides that well and the angle you are approaching the door at...

It isn't impossible, but I almost always disconnect the t/d and use the wheel jack when I push it into the garage.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm

I swear my neighbor is one of the smartest men I'll ever know. He made his own trailer dolly. It was so simply made that I had to watch him hitch it up and move his trailer into its normal parking space in his backyard. Just by watching, I could see how much easier it was! I would say that it is easier because you're closer to what you're moving and can therefore maneuver it much easier. Also, you aren't craning your neck or using mirrors to judge where your trailer is going. (I want to eventually get one of those dolly things!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 21, 2010 6:35 am

Gypsy, I think you are wise to stick with a tear. We were camping in one of the Ohio state parks last summer and one individual saw us drive in and fill the water tank (we travel with it empty) and came over for a "tour". He had a van conversion and lamented that the problem was that when he journeyed out when camping that the camper went with them.
Ours because it is a grasshopper design looks like a short conventional trailer and does not attract as much attention.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Moving the tear

Postby Eaganites » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 pm

We have a brand new Camp-Inn 550 and went on our first outing this weekend. We were concerned about the backing up thing but the 2 of us (women 65+ and 70+) were able to pull the car into the campsite - unhitch the tear and one pushing and the other guiding the tongue move the trailer where we wanted it - and we never broke a sweat. When we got home it was simple to pull into our driveway 2 car driveway unhitch the trailer and move it around the car and into the garage - very neat. I don't know if all tear drops are as easy to manuver as the Camp-Inn but it sure worked great for us. We will learn to back up but for now this worked great.
Pat
Eaganites
Teardrop Builder

Postby gypsy97 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Of the teardrops that are commercially manufactured, I think I favor the Camp-in 550 for many reasons - style, space, looks, and more. I didn't realize that kind of maneuverability would be one of the plusses.

By the way, there is a company within not too many miles of me that rents teardrops. I am seriously considering renting one for a week and putting it and myself through the paces. Of course, I don't know what kind they rent, but I would at least get some idea if I like the camping style.

Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

You can rent a Camp-Inn

Postby Eaganites » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 pm

If you want to visit Wisconsin (a beautiful state) you can rend a Camp-Inn from the company, tour the facility and see how they are made and meet some real craftsmen. And there is a campground a few miles away that is nice.
Pat
Eaganites
Teardrop Builder

Postby gypsy97 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I hope to be driving from CA to NY in mid-September, and I had already thought about veering over to Wisconsin and checking out the company. Everything is so up in the air now - I haven't sold my 5th wheel yet, nor my Ford F-350. I want to get rid of both of them and then buy a more economical vehicle, but one that would have "campability" Hopefully I'll have a smaller vehicle to drive east, and that sounds like an excellent idea to rent a Camp-In and see how I like it.

I'm also waiting for my 2nd cataract operation to heal properly - it's slowly getting better but still swollen enough that I'm not focusing very well all the time, and vision is sometimes blurry. Can't drive long distance like that!

Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NutmegJoe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 am

If you are worried about hitching back up after camping...don't unhitch! I've camped a couple of days and just left the tear hooked up to the car.

Just thought I'd throw that out there!
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby SandyD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 am

I have a trailer dolly for getting the tear in the right place in the garage. I just aim for the middle of the garage when i'm backing up and then when she's in there, I use the dolly to move her to the preferred spot.

This last trip I took, I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere, so I just left the tear hooked up. Didn't really see a need not to as everything was level. It helps if you tow level ~ below everything started going downhill after the galley so the galley was a bit high but not bad (or i'm just short).

Sandy
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:38 am

:thumbsup: Lovely pictures Sandy!

btw---if your tongue weight is too high just load up the galley behind the axle and it will get lighter.....I use a grandkid. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Eunice » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 am

S. Heisley wrote:I swear my neighbor is one of the smartest men I'll ever know. He made his own trailer dolly. It was so simply made that I had to watch him hitch it up and move his trailer into its normal parking space in his backyard. Just by watching, I could see how much easier it was! I would say that it is easier because you're closer to what you're moving and can therefore maneuver it much easier. Also, you aren't craning your neck or using mirrors to judge where your trailer is going. (I want to eventually get one of those dolly things!)

I agree. Kenny bought us one. I know folks that always have it with them when traveling.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Trees

Postby Eaganites » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Sandy,
nice picture - looks like you had lots of shade but getting in amongst the trees must have been a bit of a trick.
Pat
Pat
Eaganites
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers