Handling it alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby TheresaD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Gypsy, this topic has perfect timing for me. I'll be towing my ttt for the first time next week and I'm definitely nervous about it. I'm not as concerned about the general driving with the trailer in tow, although I know I need to remember that I have to turn a bit wider to accommodate the trailer on corners. The backing up and hooking up also has me a bit nervous. I haven't had alot of practice with that as of yet. fortunately the sites at the campground I'll be at are large and I'm hoping that I'll basically be able to drive into the site and off to one side and then just do minimal backing up. I'm also hoping that I won't gather too big of an audience as I attempt to park my trailer. :oops: I was also wondering if there is a checklist anywhere that tells you the things that you need to make sure you've checked/hooked up prior to towing. I know you need to check your lights each time you hook up to go somewhere. Are there any other things that you ladies do as part of the safety checks ritual for getting hitched up and getting on the road?
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby gypsy97 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Theresa I am pulling for ya! I'll be very interested to find out what you have to do upon arriving, and then leaving - a checklist.
Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby stumphugger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:59 pm

TheresaD wrote:Gypsy, this topic has perfect timing for me. I'll be towing my ttt for the first time next week and I'm definitely nervous about it. I'm not as concerned about the general driving with the trailer in tow, although I know I need to remember that I have to turn a bit wider to accommodate the trailer on corners. The backing up and hooking up also has me a bit nervous. I haven't had alot of practice with that as of yet. fortunately the sites at the campground I'll be at are large and I'm hoping that I'll basically be able to drive into the site and off to one side and then just do minimal backing up. I'm also hoping that I won't gather too big of an audience as I attempt to park my trailer. :oops: I was also wondering if there is a checklist anywhere that tells you the things that you need to make sure you've checked/hooked up prior to towing. I know you need to check your lights each time you hook up to go somewhere. Are there any other things that you ladies do as part of the safety checks ritual for getting hitched up and getting on the road?

To make sure the hitch is properly hooked to the ball, I crank the jack on the hitch up, and it'll start to raise the bumper of the pickup, if hooked. If not, it'll come off.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:22 am

Theresa, my towing checklist is as follows:
1. All gear in both the tear and truck is secured.
2. Make sure the vent and windows on the tear are fully closed and doors are locked including the galley hatch.
3. Coupler is properly seated on the ball, latched and pinned and jacked is raised.
4. Chains are crossed and hooked to vehicle and not dragging.
5. Electrical connection is working properly (brake lights, turn signals).
6. Double check that the dog is securely fastened in her seatbelt.

I'm sure there are several things that others can add to this list. I too was nervous as hell the first few times I towed my tear. It gets lots easier with practice. Remember to give yourself more distance when stopping. I also tend to drive a lot slower when towing. Everyone passes me but I'm not trying to win any races. Have fun on your trip and don't forget to take lots of pics.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby PanelDeland » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:05 am

Backing is just a question of practice.One variable that I can reall comment on is ratio of lengths.If the TV is shorter than the trailer the whole thing is easier to back.In other words a short trailer on a long TV will be harder to back up.Good mirrors are also important as well as having them set for the trailer.
To get an idea of what moves work best,find a loading dock and watch how the truckers back in. :roll: they're pros and do this all day for a living.The biggest mistake I see rookies make is to wiggle the TV back and forth to see the off side of the trailer.If you're certain the width is good you only need to be sure the side you can see well is in the right place.once you start wiggling the TV you alter the direction the trailer is going.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Re: Trees

Postby SandyD » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Eaganites wrote:Sandy,
nice picture - looks like you had lots of shade but getting in amongst the trees must have been a bit of a trick.
Pat

I drove thru the forrest right to left ~ got out and decided the hill would put my head low instead of high. Drove thru the forrest left to right and ~~ BINGO !!

:twisted:

P.S. Just returned from ING3 and OMG ~ I backed my tear almost exactly where I wanted it in the garage. I about fell out of my truck in shock.

:R
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby gypsy97 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Sandy, you are on a roll! Maybe it's like when you realize you can ride your bike without falling over, or learn to drive with a stick shift. All of the sudden it just comes to you, and you never forget. Congrats on the backing in.

gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Trees

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:55 pm

SandyD wrote:
Eaganites wrote:Sandy,
nice picture - looks like you had lots of shade but getting in amongst the trees must have been a bit of a trick.
Pat

I drove thru the forrest right to left ~ got out and decided the hill would put my head low instead of high. Drove thru the forrest left to right and ~~ BINGO !!

:twisted:

P.S. Just returned from ING3 and OMG ~ I backed my tear almost exactly where I wanted it in the garage. I about fell out of my truck in shock.

:R

:applause: :thumbsup: :lol: I think I did that once! :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby stumphugger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 am

I had not backed a trailer for eons--grew up on a farm pulling trailers with a tractor. So, backing the newly purchased Little Guy into the shop was a pain. I haven't done it again. Everywhere is uphill on this place, and it takes some maneuvering to get the trailer where I want it. The thing that really bothers me is my clutch gets hot. Smelly hot. I'm worried about how long the clutch on my pickup will last.

I got some of those Tennis Balls On Antennae With Magnetic Bases and will see how they work.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

#1. Make sure you have a good strong Tongue Jack. Then you can move the TD around a few inches to hook up if you don't line up perfect to the hitch. I got a cheep one ($20) and it goes one way the the tongue goes the other lol.

#2. Get a Trailer Dolly!!
You can use this to push your TD by hand to where ya need it. I have one and it works like a Charm!! :thumbsup:

#3. When backing.....DONT THINK... it always messes me up when I thing about it while I'm doing it. :oops:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:49 pm

stumphugger wrote:I had not backed a trailer for eons--grew up on a farm pulling trailers with a tractor. So, backing the newly purchased Little Guy into the shop was a pain. I haven't done it again. Everywhere is uphill on this place, and it takes some maneuvering to get the trailer where I want it. The thing that really bothers me is my clutch gets hot. Smelly hot. I'm worried about how long the clutch on my pickup will last.

I got some of those Tennis Balls On Antennae With Magnetic Bases and will see how they work.

Two things hit me right off---really hilly and clutch gets smelly hot.....I think no clutch trying to go up the hill and I think fire! I would see a really honest mechanic for the truck.

The TD on a hill---electric winch and then manuver it with a trailer dolly... 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby godskid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Or perhaps several pulleys and a rope. They say Archimedes moved a battleship by himself with enough pulleys and a long enough rope.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby SandyD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

godskid wrote:Or perhaps several pulleys and a rope. They say Archimedes moved a battleship by himself with enough pulleys and a long enough rope.

You know, this isn't such a bad idea. You could patent this one !!

We used to have a pulley system to put the canoes on the ceiling of the garage. I could see this working. Big ole hook and crank.

My neighbors would have to stop making popcorn for the show every time I come home and back up the trailer. :lol:

Sandy
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby rladams39 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Jason and Amanda wrote:
gypsy97 wrote:I read somewhere on this forum that a smaller trailer is more difficult to back up. I think they mean you have to do it in smaller increments and not make big adjustments. I hate the thought of it.

Gypsy

That's exactly what is meant by someone saying that a smaller trailer is hard to back up. The smaller trailers respond better to wheel input so they react faster.

Really it's just a matter of adjusting to the change, backing a smaller trailer isn't really harder so much as it's a different feel.

Not only do they respond to wheel input better, they also need smaller movements to make your turns,

although they are not any harder to back up than a long trailer, if you are use to backing a long trailer it does take some time to learn how a short trailer reacts.
personally i find it REALLY hard to back a 12 foot trailer compared to backing a 53 foot semi trailer...
rladams39
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers