3 day weekend camping, How far are you willing to go?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Miles willing to travel for 3 day weekend of camping?

0 - 50 miles
3%
50 - 200 miles
45%
200 - 450 miles
40%
450 - 800 miles
10%
Other, specify in response
1%

Total votes : 176

Postby legojenn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 am

mandy wrote:My limit is 3 hours away. Jemez mountains is 120 miles from my house but because of speed limits and twisty roads it takes me 2 hours to get to my favorite spot. To go to Blue Water it is about 200 miles but it takes the same amount of fime because it's right off the interstate.

I think I agree with you. It's the time, not the distance. Three hours of driving is about my limit for camping. I love camping in the Adirondacks of NY, but you can't drive freeway speeds, and the roads are not straight, so there is not a significant difference in the amount of time to get from Ottawa ON to Fish Creek as it does to get to Syracuse. Also, the longer the trip, the more difficult it is to get friends to come along. Even at that, between pee breaks for the dogs, the border and the ALDI & Walmart visits, a 3h trip often takes me 5h.

Luckily, some of the nicest parks in the Adirondacks are in the NW corner (Fish Creek Pond/Rollins Pond, Buck Pond, Meacham Lake & Cranberry Lake).
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am

So beat ME with a tie down strap fer resurrectin an old thread....I'm kinda new round here so I been "surfin" and respondin to whatever catches my eye..

Hey, look...there goes a bird !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 am

My first gathering was about 275 miles each way, which took a little over 5 hours. Had an awesome time, saw some great scenery along the way! If I have the extra time, I'd drive that far again.

In May, I might be driving down to a gathering in North Carolina, and thats going to be close to 500 miles each way. (That will be longer than 3 days though)
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:55 am

The road to a FRIENDS house is NEVER long....
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Big Dan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:18 pm

It depends on the destination and how badly you want to be there. Takes me 6 hours to make it to the coast, but I could handle 9 or 10 hours if it was a real cool trip.
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby honeask » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm

When we do 3 day trips it's usually to the Hill Country and that is 300 miles for us. We are in a good location, 45 minutes to the beach and 2 hours to a family country place. We can cut behind Houston and not through it so the trips begin easy enough each time. Hopefully it will be in a teardrop except to see my build pictures all you will be able to see is a picture of someone signing a check or handing over cold hard cash. :lol:
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:36 am

I like to get there get set up early and enjoy as much time as I can camping so I like to stay close to home we will try to stay close but the grand canyon would be max for a 3 dayer
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 am

BobHenry wrote:

Holy Stromboli this thread is over 6 years old who drug this thing back to life ?

( And how did I miss it ? )

Canned o minimum wrote:

So beat ME with a tie down strap fer resurrectin an old thread...

:thinking: Actually, it has been brought back to life more than once. I, for one, think that’s a good idea because it keeps everything together in one thread. Have you ever tried to use the forum’s search engine? You look at one thread and then, sometimes, you have to start the search all over again to look at another thread that was displayed in the original search. …not nice.

Legojenn wrote:

It's the time, not the distance. Three hours of driving is about my limit for camping.

:yes: I tend to agree, although the cost of gas may change that for some in the future.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to User Polls