Gray Haired Sisterhood

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Ratkity » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 am

Ya know, as I've gotten older, I'm getting waves and curls. What's up with that?? All my teenage years, I fried my hair (and scalp) on curling irons to get a wee bit of curl that would flop as soon as I stepped into the NC humidity (grew up in Raleigh area).

I've given up and just let it do what it wants unless I'm scheduled to work with the public. Then I over-product my hair to stay down so it doesn't look like I've stood in a wind tunnel to dry my hair.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Bravo to you ladies! :applause:

I was born a brunette and will "dye" a blond! ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:04 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Bravo to you ladies! :applause:

I was born a brunette and will "dye" a blond! ;)

:thumbsup: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Platinum Status

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:59 pm

My hair has always been in its natural state....I've never dyed/colored or permed it. I really like my hair color and constantly get compliments on it. I tell people to call my Mother and let her know since she always used to want me to color it. My twin went grey (salt & pepper) in his twenties. I stayed blonde for decades longer and mine did not change color until my late 40's. After all the hullabaloo about hair dyes, colorings, and potential risk to scalp & skin from coloring, I prefer the natural look.

TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby mcspin50 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, my next birthday is the BIG 6-0. :shock: I can hardly bring myself to say it the proper way. I sure don't feel that old, so I guess that's the important thing, right?
I've gone through various "to color or not to color" stages in my life. The last few years, I've spent a just few dollars :lol: getting my hair highlighted/lowlighted. I was born blonde, then gradually darkened over the years. I remember being very surprised when we got a family photo taken about 15 years ago of my husband and me and our three boys . My hair was as brown as my husband's! Two of my sisters are natural blondes, the other has colored her hair since I can't remember when, so I'm guessing it's really brown now like mine, but I think there might be some coloring going on as none of them have grey hair. I guess I just want to look like my big thithters, and hide the few grey hairs that seem to pop up. Call me vain or insecure, but I FEEL younger when my hair has blonde highlights. We joke at the hair salon when I come in and say, "It's time to de-frump me!" ;)
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Of course everyone needs, and should, color or not color based on what makes them feel good and works for them, and I certainly support your right to do so 'till you "dye" as our cajun friend says :lol: . But your last statement, mcspin50 is so telling about our current culture and how we define ourselves. Even though you are joking with your hair person about "defrumping" you, it is a sad state of our culture that even in joking we equate gray with frump and being "old."

Nanny, I'm so glad you chimed in. I envy your hair every time I see it on our avatar, or lately in the cast iron videos. I think you and I would be one of the very few who have never colored their hair. :lol:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 pm

When I was young, my hair was very very very blonde. In high school though, it became just very very blonde. My mother was the one who took me down to the drug store to buy something. I started with "Summer Blonde". But after a few uses, I felt it was too monotone. So I started experimenting with using it in streaks. Then, Clairol came out with the home frosting kits and I was hooked. I liked frosting because the roots (still very very blonde) grew out gracefully.

I knew my hair was gradually darkening and always said I was going to quit frosting when I started graying. Forty years later, I noticed the gray at my hairline, so I quit. It's been two years. My hair is totally natural and I hate it. I'm a brunette!!! I look at myself in the mirror and it's "who the h*ll are you?". The gray is not coming in very fast and I'm tempted to frost again.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby martha24 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:56 am

nevadatear wrote: Nanny, I'm so glad you chimed in. I envy your hair every time I see it on our avatar, or lately in the cast iron videos. I think you and I would be one of the very few who have never colored their hair. :lol:

Make that 3 :lol:

You can't really see the gray in my braid, but you can especially on the side of my head area, as it is a mix of brown & gray.
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:37 am

Started showing grey in my early 20's, not too much. Never bothered with coloring my hair,, seemed like too much fuss. Now in my mid 40's and I like to point out the grey to my kids,,, now I tell them it was their teen years that did it to me.
Still don't have a lot of grey though.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:54 am

Yep, I love it! This is what 50+ "virgin" grey hair looks like. Never dyed, colored, or had a permanent. I just tell people I'm going for the Platinum Status. A young guy at the mall complimented me the other day and I told him that. Without missing a beat, he replied, "And you've done it so well!"
xoxo TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:Yep, I love it! This is what 50+ "virgin" grey hair looks like. Never dyed, colored, or had a permanent. I just tell people I'm going for the Platinum Status. A young guy at the mall complimented me the other day and I told him that. Without missing a beat, he replied, "And you've done it so well!"
xoxo TDN

And he was right...you do! I only hope I look that good when I get my first grey hair! :lol: :lol: :lol: (I crack myself up sometimes!)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Becca you are so funny! :D You must come to the west coast someday
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby doris s. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm 46 and have also been debating about letting my hair grow out so I can see how gray it is. You ladies may have inspired me to do just that. Next cut no die and see what happens. I can always die it again if I don't like it right?

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 am

doris s. wrote:I'm 46 and have also been debating about letting my hair grow out so I can see how gray it is. You ladies may have inspired me to do just that. Next cut no die and see what happens. I can always die it again if I don't like it right?

Doris

:yes: Yep :yes: Yep :yes: Yep

I would love to Eunice! :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 am

Doris I will post a new picture with NO dye, all natural in a few months when it has grown out if you will ! :D
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers