Fat Bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Fat Bike

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Does anyone have a Fatbike? I am getting the itch. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Fatbike

Postby b1kebox » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Local company Tommi Sea http://www.ezbeachattachments.com/product/tommi-sea-beach-destroyer uses the same Surly Endomorph 3.7" tires on their Beach Destroyer. Last summer they hired a number of college students who evidently were given one. At the end of the summer about a half dozen showed up on our local Craigslist. I test rode a blue 22" model but decided against buying it.
b1kebox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:39 pm

removed...
Last edited by Arne on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby emiller » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:40 pm

I thought about buying one of these until I built my vintage bicycle.
http://www.phatcycles.com/ But if I buy another bicycle it will be either a Electra or Nerve
emiller
Donating Member

Postby b1kebox » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Arne wrote:skinny tires with no tread are faster and easier to pedal than fat tires. But, it depends

You are right "it depends", which is why there are many kinds of tire sizes and tread patterns. I ride tires less than a inch wide to 2.5" wide and as I noted above have ridden up to 3.7" wide. Read Sheldon Brown's comments at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
b1kebox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:12 pm

emiller wrote:I thought about buying one of these until I built my vintage bicycle.
http://www.phatcycles.com/ But if I buy another bicycle it will be either a Electra or Nerve

That's Phat.. not Fat... :roll: :lol:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Re: Fatbike

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:16 pm

b1kebox wrote:Local company Tommi Sea http://www.ezbeachattachments.com/product/tommi-sea-beach-destroyer uses the same Surly Endomorph 3.7" tires on their Beach Destroyer. Last summer they hired a number of college students who evidently were given one. At the end of the summer about a half dozen showed up on our local Craigslist. I test rode a blue 22" model but decided against buying it.

I have read of those.. they were basically made to ride the beach.. but not so hot for more serious mountain biking.

I am looking for more serious. I have ridden them a little but should get some more serious time on one. I do have a couple in the area that I would borrow.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Arne wrote:skinny tires with no tread are faster and easier to pedal than fat tires. But, it depends where you plan on riding...

Street tires don't need knobs/tread design on them because the street surface is rough enough.

Fat tires with tread will make you work harder.

quote:

How the tires work

Friction is also at work between the rubber tires and the road you ride on: it gives you grip that makes your bike easier to control, especially on wet days. Different kinds of bicycles have different kinds of tires. Racing bicycles have thin, smooth tires designed for maximum speed, while mountain bicycles have thicker, more robust tires with deeper treads that can withstand tougher terrain. The tires are not made of solid rubber: they have an inner tube filled with compressed air. That means they're lighter and more springy, which gives you a much more comfortable ride.

skinny tires with no tread are faster....... ON THE PAVEMENT..

While people are now using Fatbikes for all kinds of riding now, one of their primary intend was for snow. Although some of the early work was for loose sand. These bikes will go where a "skinny tire" bike can't even think of going.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I currently ride my mountain bikes on frozen snowmobile trails. In order to do that, they trails need to be fairly packed. I have noticed a huge difference in float, just going from a 26er to a 29er.

One of these bikes would be even a bigger improvement. It would greatly expand when and where I could ride. Some are now riding them for regular mountain biking now.. and having a blast.

As I have said, I am contemplating one. I am also wondering to I just "stick a toe in" and build up an inexpensive Pugsley or to build up something nicer.. :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm

glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Arne wrote:skinny tires with no tread are faster and easier to pedal than fat tires. But, it depends where you plan on riding...

Street tires don't need knobs/tread design on them because the street surface is rough enough.

quote:

How the tires work

Friction is also at work between the rubber tires and the road you ride on: it gives you grip that makes your bike easier to control, especially on wet days. Different kinds of bicycles have different kinds of tires. Racing bicycles have thin, smooth tires designed for maximum speed, while mountain bicycles have thicker, more robust tires with deeper treads that can withstand tougher terrain. The tires are not made of solid rubber: they have an inner tube filled with compressed air. That means they're lighter and more springy, which gives you a much more comfortable ride.

This is kind of a funny post. Arne, are you aware of how many years Glenn has been professionally in the bike business?? I'm just sayin'. :roll:

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ratkity » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Amazingly huge tires on that snow bike! Brrrr, looks cold.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Please, no teasing... I don't need another bike...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:

quote:

How the tires work

This is kind of a funny post. Arne, are you aware of how many years Glenn has been professionally in the bike business?? I'm just sayin'. :roll:

Scott

yeah.. I was going to say something but.. thought I would let it go... :roll: :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Ratkity wrote:Amazingly huge tires on that snow bike! Brrrr, looks cold.

Hugs,
Ratkity

it can be..

the photo's don't do them justice.. those tires are HUGE compared to other bike tires.

they are not just wide.. but tall.. there is a lot of air volume to them
Last edited by Fenlason on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles