Stereo in your TD and remote control....

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Stereo in your TD and remote control....

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:10 am

I'm going to install a AM/FM/CD car stereo in the galley of my new build and have the speakers mounted in the hatch.
I have a Sony model picked out ... but big difference in price if I want a remote control.

I can see reasons I don't need it but have another question too .

1) Do you ever really use the remote with yours? I don't plan to play it too terribly anyway , so I wouldn't be but a few feet away anyway.

2) My friend suggested putting speakers on the cabin side too , from the same system mounted in the galley. Then a remote would definitely be needed! But do you ever really play the stereo in the cabin anyway? I don't think I would .

Both have MP3/Ipod ports
Thanks
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ratkity » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:03 am

My RT came with 2 remote controls for the stereo/dvd player. They are little tiny things that I put velcro on the back and they attach to the padded walls nicely. With that said, I can't see the tiny little buttons in the dark! They are not huge remotes that have backlights - they are small things that run on button batteries. So nope, haven't used them. One of the remotes has so many buttons squished in such a small area, I spend more time looking for the right button rather than reaching over to the player and doing what I need to do LOL.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:14 am

I use the remote to my iTouch player all the time rather than doing a sit up/toe touch to change it every time. Same as Ratkity, I have a small remote with velcro on the back and the remote conveniently sticks to the carpeted walls of the LG.

I always practice camping rituals with run throughs as if in the dark, so I know exactly where to reach for it on my side wall and I easily memorized the feel of the remote control buttons like braille. :lol:

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Remote

Postby john curtis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:18 am

Hello.When I had the new stereo installed in my truck it came with a remote and like it was all ready said it was pretty small.I had it in the truck for about 2 years and never used it once.Now I am going to instal it in my TD, the remote will be there but chances are I will never use it.
P.S. Good luck on the new build and enjoy.
John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 am

Where you put the radio also matters. If you mount it inside, you can control it without having to open the door. Mounting in the galley is nice because if you are close enough to listen to the radio (without bothering your neighbors) you will be close enough to use the remote. Keep in mind that your remote may not work in direct sunlight.

The radios in both Mel's car and my truck have remotes. We never use the one in her car, but I always use the one in my truck. The radio in my truck is enough of a reach that you have to lean forward, plus since it is a nav system the hard buttons are quite small. My remote has a steering wheel mount so that you don't have to take your hands off the wheel.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:41 am

I've used my remote with the stereo in my truck to adjust volume or change stations as it lets me keep my eyes more on the road than looking over at the unit in the center of the dash. The stereo unit I put in the Pop Top is in the rear, behind the couch. To touch it, one has to get on the couch on his knees and lean over the back, so using the remote is almost a must.

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Moho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 am

If you want sound in galley and quarters, something like THIS would work.

As far a having the stereo in the galley or quarters, I personally would say the galley, as most of your time will be spent outside weather providing. I would say a remote would not be on my want list as 1. It is easy to lose and 2. I would just set a cd or station and let it play.

My plan is to use my iPhone for audio for mine. Just using a standard small car amplifier hoooked up to speakers and putting a dock somewhere.
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm planning on getting a marine head unit for my new build. The main head unit will be in the cabin, and the little wired remote will be in the galley. I also intend on using one of the speaker selector switches that you posted Moho.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:50 pm

having switched speakers in the galley or inside would be great for my trailer. I need to find a system that has USB connection too for Ipods and such.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Moho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Wolfscout wrote:having switched speakers in the galley or inside would be great for my trailer. I need to find a system that has USB connection too for Ipods and such.

The factory iPod/iPhone docks have a 3.5mm jack which you can get an audio cord with adapter for about any configuration of jack types you have on your stereo input. The dock also allows for charging at the same time.
Most stereos, auto and home, have an aux input for another audio source. Most are RCA type input jacks in which case you would get a 3.5mm Stereo to RCA Stereo adapter, like THIS. You can use this same cable to go from the headphone jack to the audio input on your stereo as well. This will all just depend on what MP3 player you have. I used Apple just because they dominate the mp3 player market.

Photo of Apple iPod/iPhone dock
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I recently bought a new radio for my truck - It cost me a whoppin' $45.00 - it does have a remote and an AM /FM receiver, but NO CD drive. It does have inputs for a SDcard, USB, and AUX input. I have found that I can load my entire music collection on a SD card (over 20000 songs) and just click it in the player. No need to worry if the SD card fails (unlikely - but could happen) I just plug in my phone and play the music through it. Since i have started using my tablet and phone to play music - CD's are staring to become a relic for me.

http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-xr4115-car-audio-player-200-w-mp3-wma-am-fm-18-12-x-fm-am-preset/219630257.html
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby emtgared » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:15 pm

kinda off topic, but for some of you looking for a simple solution, heres what i did.

i purchased one of these, it runs off 12v dc, and i plan on hardwiring it into my 12v system on my tear. it doesnt pull alot of power, so i think itll last awhile without draining a battery, and last longer than a traditional car stereo. i will use my ipod as the music source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-V-3-CHANNEL-2-1-Subwoofer-Digital-Amplifier-Car-838-/180710367224?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2a132d5ff8

im gonna mount a couple of cheapo speakers somewhere, and this particular model can run a small sub. nothing super loud but something that i can make a decent sound with. its not super loud, but puts out 20 watts rms per channel, and most car stereos put out 22 watts, so itll be close.i tested it with these speakers that can be bought at walmart. it sounded pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roadmaster-RTS3000T-Car-Speaker-/250801709999?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item3a64f263af
"living life one day at a time"
emtgared
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CARS » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:56 pm

emtgared wrote:kinda off topic, but for some of you looking for a simple solution, heres what i did.

i purchased one of these, it runs off 12v dc, and i plan on hardwiring it into my 12v system on my tear. it doesnt pull alot of power, so i think itll last awhile without draining a battery, and last longer than a traditional car stereo. i will use my ipod as the music source.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-V-3-CHANNEL-2-1-Subwoofer-Digital-Amplifier-Car-838-/180710367224?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2a132d5ff8

im gonna mount a couple of cheapo speakers somewhere, and this particular model can run a small sub. nothing super loud but something that i can make a decent sound with. its not super loud, but puts out 20 watts rms per channel, and most car stereos put out 22 watts, so itll be close.i tested it with these speakers that can be bought at walmart. it sounded pretty good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roadmaster-RTS3000T-Car-Speaker-/250801709999?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item3a64f263af

I bought a unit similar. VERY NOISY!!! The electrical noise was aweful.

Buy a name brand stereo from a reputable dealer.

My 2c
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby Moho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree with CARS, with all amplifiers you get what you pay for period.

The amplifier above from eBay is powered by a LA4636 which is a small inefficient IC only pushing 11watts. So the wattage output of the unit is padded. The result from it is distortion and noise when trying to push beyond the limits of the IC. Once you put a light or other electrical items on the circuit it will backfeed into the amp and become noisier.

IC's are fine for amplifying the signal for little portable speakers. Like those you plug directly into your mp3 player with a single speaker. The bottom line is a large transformer is needed to properly amplifier an audio circuit without distortion and noise. Thats why good amps are heavy, it's the weight of the transformer.

Granted you just need a little bit of power for a small camper but plan on spending $50-75 for a decent new car amplifier. I'd pick one up used, they're a dime a dozen on Craigslist and eBay.

Sorry to go off on an electrical tangent but Electrical Circuit and IC implementation is what I do for a living :)
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:22 am

Have one never used it!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Camping Secrets