whats for dinner folks? when you go teardroppin.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby parnold » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Cliff!

No sooner had I submitted the reply when I thought it would have been proper for me to search somewhere... but since I'm at work, I chose to be lazy.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby sushidog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:40 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I got a dumb idea on camp cooking today while I was scattering salt to my cows on south pass this afternoon. I have one of the coleman propane fired skillets.

I like to fry and can do pretty quickly one of the minute steak types or a round steak that has been run though a cuber machine at the place that butchers your cows for you.

I am wandering if I can cook or fry a hole steak in my propane coleman skillet. With out buring the dang thing or making it red and black like on the barbaque grill. This would make a girl more happy when i take her on a date to the moutains to have a brown steak than a red and black one.

My thoughts. Slowcowboy.

I've heard of salting your beef before cooking it, just not quite that soon!

Here's a method of cooking I used many years ago while serving in the Army. It will get your meat nice and brown and you can do it in the way over to your girlfriend, so it's a great time and propane saver. I used a deuce and a half at the time.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dietinfo/exhaust_manifold_oven.htm
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:14 pm

We have a tradition when the wife and I go out camping especially as we are today and that is I grill ribeyes over the camp fire, roast corn and have coleslaw and sometimes baked beans. But as this is our first trip in the tear we decided to leave out the beans :shock: :cry: so we don't do either one of those faces.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I got a dumb idea on camp cooking today while I was scattering salt to my cows on south pass this afternoon. I have one of the coleman propane fired skillets.

I like to fry and can do pretty quickly one of the minute steak types or a round steak that has been run though a cuber machine at the place that butchers your cows for you.

I am wandering if I can cook or fry a hole steak in my propane coleman skillet. With out buring the dang thing or making it red and black like on the barbaque grill. This would make a girl more happy when i take her on a date to the moutains to have a brown steak than a red and black one.

My thoughts. Slowcowboy.

If you are getting a charred outside and raw inside on your steaks, you are probably starting with cold steaks. Let your steaks come up to room temperature before they go on the grill. Put them out on the table (wrapped in plastic if outdoors) with a little salt and pepper on both sides of the meat. The salt will draw some moisture to the surface, giving a nice crust. The pepper just tastes good.

Starting with a room temperature alone will help a lot. A too cold steak will burn outside before the inside is done.

But, you can also try cooking with zones on your grill. If it's a charcoal grill, put your charcoal on one side of the grill, leaving an area to move the steaks that is not directly over the fire.

Start cooking the steaks right over the hot coals to sear the meat and get than nice brown crust. Sear one side, and flip.

When you have your nice sear, move the steak to the "cool" side of the grill, close the lid, and let the steak cook on indirect heat -- kind of like putting it in the oven. Turn the steaks from time to time -- no matter what others may tell you, you can turn steaks more than once.

Don't give up on the grill.

BTW, a too cold steak will not cook right in a skillet, either.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:54 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Mikes steaks are about to make me go looking in the frige tonight for last nights left over round steak. I got beef now on the brain.

Ummmmm, me too. It reminds me of one of my best photoshoots ever. I shot this high end steakhouse for a Dallas magazine. I got to eat the props, including this 16 ounce bone-in ribeye with peppercorn sauce. . :)

I ate half there, and had the leftover half for lunch the next day.

The caprese salad and cheesecake were good, too -- and the diver scallops appetizer.

I shot the same restaurant a few years later for another magazine, and had the crab cakes, a 10 ounce Filet, and bread pudding for desert. :D

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 pm

slowcowboy wrote:Cliff what the heck is in that montana potroast. I like the big mushrooms in it and would like to cook it.

Slowcowboy, follow this link to our sister forum, Camp-cook.com. The Montana Cowboy Potroast is a favorite! There is even a link to the youtube video that Dennis found that began this adventure!

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=831 :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:26 pm

I wish I had taken a picture when I flipped it over. It looked really good then. I had the criss cross pattern from the grill cause I rotated it 90 degrees, plus it browned really nice... :oops:

I'll do a better job taking pictures next time (I hope!)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sushidog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Here's DW getting ready to eat a meal I prepared in the Chisos Basin CG, in Big Bend NP on my last vacation.

There was a fire ban so I cooked it on this: :Flippin Burger:

Easy to prepare, fast clean-up and tasty too!

Chip
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby caseydog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:23 pm

mikeschn wrote:I wish I had taken a picture when I flipped it over. It looked really good then. I had the criss cross pattern from the grill cause I rotated it 90 degrees, plus it browned really nice... :oops:

Mike...

Ribeye is my favorite steak. Yum! :applause:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Here is another easy one for camp grilling.

I skewer some cheap beef with onion wedges, and on separate skewers, I put sweet bell peppers (yellow and orange peppers are sweeter) and mushrooms. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Season the meat and onions with salt and pepper.

Do the veggies on separate skewers so you can cook the meat skewers longer than the veggies.

Easy, and pretty cheap. And, women like this meal. ;)

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:34 pm

caseydog wrote:Here is another easy one for camp grilling.

I skewer some cheap beef with onion wedges, and on separate skewers, I put sweet bell peppers (yellow and orange peppers are sweeter) and mushrooms. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Season the meat and onions with salt and pepper.

Do the veggies on separate skewers so you can cook the meat skewers longer than the veggies.

Easy, and pretty cheap.

CD

That looks like a good plan. I'll have to remember that!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:40 pm

mikeschn wrote:
caseydog wrote:Here is another easy one for camp grilling.

Easy, and pretty cheap.

CD

That looks like a good plan. I'll have to remember that!

Mike...

BTW, this is a meal I can prep ninety-percent at home and pack into Gladware, so all I have to do at camp is assemble my skewers and cook them. :thumbsup:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Do you ever make Chuck Wagon Stew? That's pretty easy too. And it looks pretty fancy hanging on a tripod; like deceiver just made...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby revbigjohn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:43 pm

caseydog wrote:
mikeschn wrote:I wish I had taken a picture when I flipped it over. It looked really good then. I had the criss cross pattern from the grill cause I rotated it 90 degrees, plus it browned really nice... :oops:

Mike...

Ribeye is my favorite steak. Yum! :applause:

CD

:thumbsup: There's nothing better than a nice think blood red Ribeye on the grill.
John

revbigjohn
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets