Little Fix-it Problems on my new 08 Silver Lil Traveler

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Little Fix-it Problems on my new 08 Silver Lil Traveler

Postby Puppybreath » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just received my new 08 teardrop. An rv place in Ontario went under and the bank repossessed 20 trailers and I got wind of it when only 2 were left. I grabbed one , sight unseen (trusting in the Amish reputation ) and just had it shipped out to British Columbia. Yahoooo, I got my little sweetie at a price I could afford. I'm over the moon.
Seems it's been sitting out in an Ontario winter. There are white spots on the aluminum on the galley door. Any ideas how to get those off? The aluminum is anodized.
It came without a battery. Any advice about batteries?
How do you know you're keeping the tongue weight right?
Some of the rubber pipping material that surrounds the galley door is separating and letting water in. Would I caulk that with some kind of silicone?
My camper came with no fact sheet or manual so I'm trying to figure it all out. I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed but more excited than freaked.
Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearhead » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Congratulations and welcome!! We have a 2008 Lil Traveler, also, and also got it due to the misfortune of an RV dealer. Unfortunate for them; great for us! Love it!

No problems with ours, though--everything was and is in apple pie order. I don't know the answers to your questions, but will be interested to see what others post. We got a 12 volt deep cycle marine battery. The only tricky thing was that the way of hooking it up is counter-intuitive. To hook it up you need to know the polarity to the cables (the white was negative and the black was positive on the trailer). If you do a search in Electrical Secrets, you'll probably find my husband's posts on that. We hooked it up right last year but got it backwards this year. Then our regular electric worked but not the 12 volt. This problem did cause us to discover that the little door with the outline of the teardrop picked out on it can be yanked off. There were fuses behind that. We don't have a manual either.

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:28 pm

:thumbsup: Don't know about the alum. but door seals are easy. Just replace the seals. Grant from lil=bear probably sells them. http://www.lilbear.teardrops.net/index.html Others probably have them too. You can also check at the auto parts or RV places too.

oh and Image to the playground.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Hi Pat and Miriam,

Postby Puppybreath » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Thank you for your replies.
Very good to know about that battery thing Pat. Do you have the 5x10?
Miriam, it's not the soft seals that are opening or pulling away. There's a hard plastic edge overlapping the aluminum around the galley door. It's like a trim. It's a little open part of the way, at the bottom of the door, and can be pulled down off of the aluminum a bit. Water's getting in there. I think I need to put a bead of something along the edge when it's good and dry, I'm just not sure what to use.
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iplay10us2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:00 am

I would contact Pleasant Valley Trailers and try to take some good pics and send those along in an email. They would probably be able to give you the best information to help you.

http://www.pleasantvalleytrailers.com/contact.html
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Great idea! I've read in other posts that the manufacturer is very helpful. Though when we tried calling them about our electrical issue, I don't think they ever called back. Mark figured it out via head scratching.

Puppybreath (love that name!), ours is an eight footer.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Little Podium

Postby Puppybreath » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Oh, I'm so trying to not drive the people at Pleasant Valley crazy. I've called them twice now to get some booklet or something to help me know what I've got. They are very friendly and sweet and way too busy to answer emails. I may have to call them again though. :lol:
Say Pat, have you noticed that that podium type doodaa above the drilled holes/ teardrop shaped in the galley) looks just right for a Bible. :thinking:
Hmmmm. Do you think there's a built in message in that?
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearhead » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm

That is an interesting spot, but I hadn't thought of bringing a Bible. It does look like a bookstand, but I put my potholders there! :lol:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Blumie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 am

What IS that "podium" thing, anyway? We have a 2006 5x8 Pleasant Valley, made before that little box became part of the design. It looks like it would interfere with use of the counter as a workspace.

We also are having a problem with the black plastic trim -- it's split lengthwise. We're hoping to get advice and/or spare parts at IRG 3.0 in a couple weeks. That will be our first time to get together with lots of you pros at the teardrop maintenance game.
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

The Podium Thing

Postby Puppybreath » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:31 am

The podium thing houses the 20amp Converter with Battery and Exhaust Fan. I think the Little Guy models have the Converter tucked away in a lower cupboard now. That, of course, frees up the counter. The counter ISSS crowded. I can't put a 2 burner coleman in there and my model is the 5x10. As I've read in this forum, the 5x10 galley is spacious compared to the 4 or 5x8 but, the Converter on mid-line sure does cramp the space.

I don't want to whine (puppy) too much though because guess what... I HAVE MY OWN LITTLE TEARDROP... :applause:
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Oh Blumie,

Postby Puppybreath » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 am

what's IRG 3.0?
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alffink » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am

Tricia

IRG International Redwood Gathering, Pamplin Grove, North West California redwoods

Check it out in the "Jefferson State" section of the forum or just link to "Pamplingrove" in the "other websites" listed in the header above
alffink
Donating Member

Postby Blumie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Wow, the tradeoff is lower cabinet space vs. counter space for placement of the battery, etc.? The guy who made the decision to place the battery on the counter must not have a wife who rolls out pie dough in camp!

As I wrote earlier, we have a 2006 PV trailer. Our electrical system is inside the lower left cabinet, giving us only one half the cabinet to store things in. It's taken me a while, but I've figured out how to pack a Sierra Nevada beer box with kitchen staples for cooking & baking; it fits exactly in the half of the cabinet not occupied by the battery. I'm even more satisfied with this arrangement now that I understand the tradeoff... but they should really consider other options, perhaps placing the battery in the interior cupboard?

Linda
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Postby Puppybreath » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 pm

:o
oops I've got that half wrong.
the box houses the fan and converter and NOT the battery. The battery is supposed to go in the box on the tongue. My unit came without a battery.
Tricia
Puppybreath
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Blumie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Dear Sweet Husband just informed me that putting the battery inside would be dangerous. If the battery somehow leaked acid, you really wouldn't want it over the foot of your bed! :?
Blumie
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers