French Fries?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

French Fries?

Postby Von Pook » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Good idea or not? French Fries in the dutch oven? Any ideas or suggestions? This is asap, it might finally rain lol :applause: Thank you all
Eric, the camping sound guy
Von Pook
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:54 pm

I would think you need the heat of a stove, not charcoal bricks, but certainly would be doable. I love french fries by the way.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Von Pook » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Could the french fries be "baked" in the dutch oven? Maybe lay down foil to help protect the dutch oven?
Eric, the camping sound guy
Von Pook
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:05 pm

I've done french fries and donuts in a DO over charcoal. Worked pretty good. Just have to keep an eye on the temp. Also used DO over the propane stove in my trailer last April, I will think twice before I'll do that again. Oil splattered all over! :oops:
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Heavy cast iron is good at maintaining temperatures, so a DO should be good for deep frying. If you put it on the propane base of a turkey fryer, you should be able to get enough heat, and you can adjust the temperature.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:21 pm

A little late, but I have made French fries and even potato chips in a Dutch oven. Not yet over coals, but I use the side burner on my Costco grill.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Frying in a dutch oven is a very good thing. We did donuts a few months ago and it worked great. The big question is what do you do with the oil after you are done?
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:13 pm

If you have an airtight container to put it in, it will last a while. I used to have a "Fry Daddy" many years ago, and it came with a lid much like on a margarine tub. Let the unit cool, put the lid on, and it's fresh next time!

From Wikibooks.com:
Re-using oil
Opinions differ regarding re-use of oil, and the storage of used frying oil.
Some say frying improves with repeated use of the oil and use one batch of oil for three to six fryings, while others claim used oils are hazardous either due to bacterial growth or due to the breakdown of the oil into harmful compounds.
Those who reuse oil disagree as to whether refrigeration is necessary, but generally agree that it is important to filter the oil and then store it tightly capped and away from light.
Discard reused oil when it becomes dark or begins to smell "off".

If reusing oil, add fresh oil for each use in order to extend its usefulness.
Filter your frying oil regularly, if your fryer has a filtering system.
Cooled oil can be filtered with a tea strainer, kitchen paper, muslin or coarse coffee machine filter paper.
Change the oil when it becomes extremely dark. If you don't, your food will all taste the same – fries will taste like fish, fish will taste like fries, and, in the end, everything will taste a bit rancid.
A rule of thumb is to change oil each week under heavy use, or every three weeks if it's only used for frying vegetables.
When using new oil in your fryer, add an extra 1.5 minutes to your frying time.
Oil can be purified by deep-frying parsley. The parsley absorbs the odors in the oil. Watch for spatters!

We don't deep fry often enough to re-use the oil, so I put it in a milk container and put it with the trash.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1