Vintage Bicycles... Share your pics!

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Re: My newest purchase.

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Starwatcher wrote:
dobyman wrote:I picked this up last week. Its a 1969 Peugeot UO-8. I bought it from the orignal owner. Always kept indoors, still has the original Ventolux air pump with hose. There is one tiny nick in the paint on the rear frame, and thats it. MINT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Dobyman.

You must check this link http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html i think the stem on your bike is unsafe.

I work ten years in a bike shop and i think i saw one time a stem like that broken.

Also the seat clip is reversed, the seat is too foward to be confortable.

Regards.

No disrespect to the dead.. but I am shocked that Sheldon would say that about a stem.

I am not familiar with the failure of that particular stem... but other problem stems I have experience with, fail catastrophically with no warning.

riding along and having the handlebars in your hands.. but no longer attached to the bike is not a very good thing.

I would think it is either safe or not safe.. How hard is to hard.. how fast is too fast.

Not that it is a safety issue.. but those derailleurs should be suspect. The plastic in them gets very brittle with age... hmm the shift levers also.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm

dobyman wrote:Thanks Starwatcher, Ill look into both of those things. I really havent done anything to it, including barely riding it. Too busy. But I will in the next week or so. I really dont ride too hard or fast so I feel pretty safe on the stem......until I find a replacement. Now the seat, different story. That will be corrected ASAP. Im looking for a different seat anyway. I want one of the old hard leather ones like it came with. Anyone out there have one they will part with???
THANKS,
Steve :thumbsup:

I don't believe that bike came stock with a full leather saddle. It looks to be an early 70's vintage.. and by then stuff in that price range had the types of seats in the photo. I have one of those.. a little older than that.. and I belive it is all original.. and it has a cheap seat.

I have a couple of ... I think Cilo pacers on my metal recycle heap that have leather saddles. [not the better brooks] but they were pretty well gone when they were given to me.

I can take a better look for you though..
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby dobyman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks for the info Glenn. I will look for a better stem just to be sure. And if you find a decent seat that you want to part with let me know. The guy I got it from bought it in 1969, so it could probably go either way on the seat. I did sell a 1972 Peugeot just like this one and it came with an Ideale leather saddle, so I am just assuming this one had a similar one. I am just partial to the hard leather seats. :thumbsup:
Thanks!
Steve
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby Starwatcher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:14 pm

dobyman wrote:Thanks for the info Glenn. I will look for a better stem just to be sure. And if you find a decent seat that you want to part with let me know. The guy I got it from bought it in 1969, so it could probably go either way on the seat. I did sell a 1972 Peugeot just like this one and it came with an Ideale leather saddle, so I am just assuming this one had a similar one. I am just partial to the hard leather seats. :thumbsup:
Thanks!
Steve

I rebuild a french bike from that period 12 years ago, a Lejeune with Campagnolo components.(but with these Mafac brakes) It was paid 250$ in 1972,it had Ideale leather saddle if i well remember.I put Mavic rims and spokes (it had tubulars originally) a shorter sterm, City handlebars and brake levers,new chain,new freewheel,new seat. I use it for few years until i gave it to a non profit organisation who send it to a poor country of the southern hemisphere.(with my 1992 Specialized Rockhopper comp.) :cry:
Starwatcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 am

dobyman wrote:Thanks for the info Glenn. I will look for a better stem just to be sure. And if you find a decent seat that you want to part with let me know. The guy I got it from bought it in 1969, so it could probably go either way on the seat. I did sell a 1972 Peugeot just like this one and it came with an Ideale leather saddle, so I am just assuming this one had a similar one. I am just partial to the hard leather seats. :thumbsup:
Thanks!
Steve

I can see being partial to the leather seat... I was not sure if you were doing it because you wanted it or if you just wanted it original.

I defer to Starwatcher on your stem. From Sheldon's site it specifies AVA stems. The Peugeot I have does have an AVA stem on it. Does yours?

I had a customer a few years back, riding a bike that had a recalled stem, that failed. It had been recalled before we ordered the stem. It should have never been sent to us. A week after that.. I personally was riding a bike with a different stem.. also recalled. Again no recall notices.. :x :x

My customer.. was lucky.. lot of bumps, bruises and scrapes, but nothing serious. I ended up with a badly bruised spleen, and a pretty serious head injury.

It was the brake levers [safety levers] and foam grips, on your bike that made me think it was newer. :thinking:

If you want another slightly used AVA stem let me know.. 8) 8)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 am

Starwatcher wrote:
Thanks!
Steve

I rebuild a french bike from that period 12 years ago, a Lejeune with Campagnolo components.(but with these Mafac brakes) It was paid 250$ in 1972,it had Ideale leather saddle if i well remember.I put Mavic rims and spokes (it had tubulars originally) a shorter sterm, City handlebars and brake levers,new chain,new freewheel,new seat. I use it for few years until i gave it to a non profit organisation who send it to a poor country of the southern hemisphere.(with my 1992 Specialized Rockhopper comp.) :cry:

I am not sure what year bike, but in hmm I think 1973 I bought a used Gitane Tour de France. It has a 531 frame.. Campy and Stronglight components. It did have tubulars [which I kept.... I was racing]. It also had Ideale saddle also.

I paid $250. used for it. That same year I paid $100 for a "good" used car. :D

It is perhaps 1 of two bikes that I really miss. :(
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby dobyman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:23 am

The former owner added the foam and safety brake levers a few years ago. Ill keep them both as I like the padding and the extra levers. My stem actually says ATAX on it. Is that one of the recalled ones? :thinking:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby dobyman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:12 am

I just looked at the pics of the one I sold and it had a ATAX stem on it too. I wonder why they didnt use one stem for all of them? :thinking:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby stevem50 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:08 pm

anybody interested in a 1976 schwinn stingray? got it a few years back when I cleaning out a bike shop in baltimore and found 3 of em' still in the original boxes unassembled. the boxes were water damaged but the frame is perfect! the stickers are intact and still on the waterslide paper as is the manufacturer certificate of origin.i can email pics but have not figured out how to put a pic in one of these boxes yet....

steve
stevem50
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:09 pm

dobyman wrote:The former owner added the foam and safety brake levers a few years ago. Ill keep them both as I like the padding and the extra levers. My stem actually says ATAX on it. Is that one of the recalled ones? :thinking:

AVA was the brand that Starwatcher.. and Sheldon talk of. I have no personal knowledge.. but I did try some searching. I found a forum where that same question was asked.. talking about AVA and Atax. It was said they were not the same.. that AVA was the problem one. Yet the person with the Atax stem edit his post some time later... saying his stem cracked.. :thinking:

A lot of component manufacturers talk of the need to periodically replace a lot of these parts.. they can fatigue. :thinking:

It does sound like a lot of the failures are not catastrophic..

I don't know.. would I just ride it .. if I was just riding casually... maybe..

It's nothing a new Cannondale would'nt fix.. 8) :thinking: :?
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:12 pm

dobyman wrote:I just looked at the pics of the one I sold and it had a ATAX stem on it too. I wonder why they didnt use one stem for all of them? :thinking:

they often make running changes on bikes.. availability issues.. or a better price.. or an upgrade..any of these things can alter a parts choice.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby dobyman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Fenlason wrote:
dobyman wrote:I just looked at the pics of the one I sold and it had a ATAX stem on it too. I wonder why they didnt use one stem for all of them? :thinking:

they often make running changes on bikes.. availability issues.. or a better price.. or an upgrade..any of these things can alter a parts choice.

Pretty much like the auto mfg's do all the time. i know, im a 32 year veteran of AMC/Chrysler. I can understand the parts changing.
Ill let my stem be, until I run across a decent replacement. I am a very casual rider, especially if my wife is along with me.
I do want to replace the seat tho................ For some reason, I remember back in the early 70's, I built a bike from parts, and it had the best seat I had ever ridden on. Hard as a rock, but beautiful leather! Of course it was stolen!! :x
Thanks again for all the help!! :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby Starwatcher » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 am

Sheldon Brown personally had an accident with a AVA sterm apparently. Failure of AVA sterm can be a hurban legend too, in french you can make a world play with the world AVA who mean "it will" Attention c'AVA casser. "beware it will break" As i say before i work ten years in a bike shop in the 80's and 90's and i think i saw one time a french sterm broken and never heard of a recall. But i say many broken fork and frames. :shock: The steel sterm broke on my bike when i was a kid but it was not me who was riding it, it was a guy with his young daughter. We get the serm welded at the neigourhood car shop.
Starwatcher
Teardrop Inspector

Postby xddorox » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:59 pm

All that talk about vintage bikes. Anybody spend some time at http://ratrodbikes.com? Lots of vintage and custom stuff.

Gerry :)
xddorox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dobyman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:06 pm

That is a good site. I can see myself spending some time there! Thanks! :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles