Curtains or blinds?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Christina » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:51 pm

Okay, I got my new curtain/blinds up. 8) Since I don't like to sew and I'm not really got at it, I used a pair of pillow cases that matched the pillow cases on my pillows in the teardrop. They were already hemmed and were the perfect size!

I just cut off the open edge and reattached it to make the curtain shorter and to make the top portion. I inserted a round wooden dowel inside the pillow at the bottom so it would roll up easier and so the curtain would not fly around in the the wind while the door was open. I used some plain yellow ribbon for the ties and Velcro to attach it to the door.

I just kept them simple and plain and the blue is perfect for cutting out the light. My husband sure is happier to have some more privacy. :D

Thanks again to tearhead for the idea and plans. :applause:

Christina
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tearhead » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Sweet! Thanks for posting the pictures! :applause: :applause:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lisasweetie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 am

I'm planning something similar. My comforter came with pillow shams that are the perfect size for my Silver Shadow windows. I also bought the skinny white curtain rods and used 3M removable tape (the kind that comes with the removable hooks), but my problem is it doesn't hold in the heat. I may just switch to velcro, but will that stick in 100 degree heat? Any thoughts?
PS I also plan to hang them so the opening in what would be the back of the pillow is on the inside for my shoes....
Lisa,

ImageImage
lisasweetie
Teardrop Master

Postby SandyD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 am

I use velcro for my screens and so far it has stayed put in the heat. If it ever gives, I would probably just epoxy it back up because it works well. And the nice thing about using Velcro is that you can easily take your curtains down or even change them frequently.

At first I thought using the sham for a shoe holder was a good idea until I thought about how dirty or muddy my shoes can get. Not sure I'd want that in my curtains or running down the side of the door unless you line it with plastic first.

Another idea comes to mind for the bottom half of the sham ~ sew organizer seams for books, glasses, light, cell phone, things that you may want handy when it's time to snuggle down.

Just a thought.
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Velcro

Postby tearhead » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm

I had trouble with half my velcro :? The industrial strength velcro sticks fine to the tear door and heat doesn't matter. But I discovered that the half that I had attached to the shade came unglued so I just replaced that with the kind that you sew on. People do say that they have velcro in year-round for other things--keeping their TV from moving around, hanging pictures, etc. without any problem in the heat. So I'd say it will be find for sticking to hard objects but you might want to get the sew-on kind for the fabric. Works best if you have a sewing machine but I'm sure you could hand-baste too, or even safety pin.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Blinds cont'd

Postby GlamperGirl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Here are some pix of the curtains I made for our Little Guy "rover".
they were pretty simple to make. I bought a dim-out fabric for the backing so they are not see-through at night. The LG has a low nap carpeting on the walls, so I used an extra wide strip of the rough strip of velcro. The velcro was sewn onto the dim-out fabric.
A simple velcro strip hangs vertically. The rough strip of velcro attaches directly to the carpeted wall and then at one end, I sewed on a piece of the fuzzy strip so that it has something to stick to when the blind is rolled up.
I had some extra slats from some faux wood blinds that I had shortened, so I cut one in half and used it as a header rail and footer. It gave stability to the top part and having it on the bottom makes it easy to roll the blind up and out of the way.

These have been used on our first 2 trips and both times have worked great. If I want to put the blind only part way down, I just use clothes pegs at either end to hold them where I want them.
"Not all who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tearhead » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:39 pm

:applause: Very glamper-ous! Love the fabric! So nifty, too, that you were able to use the wall carpeting to attach to. Way to go!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 pm

After all your efforts and time, be sure to keep those curtains out of the sun. Thay can fade fast. I have cheap painters drop cloth that I use to cover my windows while in storage. The good stuff shows only while using the trailer.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby GlamperGirl » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks, Judy, I'll keep that in mind. Our LG is stored in the garage so hopefully that will help. Also, I chose the dim out material because it is a drapery lining, so hoping that it will delay the deterioration.
Anway, it only took an afternoon to put them together (once I had figured out in my head what I wanted to do 8) ) and the material was on sale :thumbsup: so it was a good experiment!
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Clips work great on shades

Postby tearhead » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:57 pm

GlamperGirl I used your clip idea this weekend, to raise the bottom just a bit to get more air going through. Worked great and I appreciated the inspiration to do that! :)
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Blinds cont'd

Postby baltimoregirl » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:39 pm

GlamperGirl wrote:Here are some pix of the curtains I made for our Little Guy "rover"...

OK, I think I just may have to steal your idea! I'm picking up my new LG Rascal tomorrow, and I think it has the same carpeted walls as yours. Does the velcro attach to it pretty sturdily? I'm also thinking that may be the way to attach some storage to the walls (I have one of those over-the-door shoe holders that I'll cut down to shorter lengths).

The Rascal is so tiny, I'll have to get creative with my storage. Fortunately I can keep most of my gear in the trunk of my car.

Thanks for all the great inspiration, ladies.

-Janet
baltimoregirl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ratkity » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:51 pm

I have carpeted walls in my Little Guy Reverse TD. Velcro sticks to it wonderfully. I have a collapsable cup holder velcroed and all the little remotes to the entertainment center velcroed to the wall. Also have the fire extinguisher velcroed in the corner. Yes, the velcro stays wonderfully while being pulled down the road fully loaded!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Re: Blinds cont'd

Postby GlamperGirl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:59 pm

OK, I think I just may have to steal your idea! I'm picking up my new LG Rascal tomorrow, and I think it has the same carpeted walls as yours. Does the velcro attach to it pretty sturdily? I'm also thinking that may be the way to attach some storage to the walls (I have one of those over-the-door shoe holders that I'll cut down to shorter lengths).

The Rascal is so tiny, I'll have to get creative with my storage. Fortunately I can keep most of my gear in the trunk of my car.

Thanks for all the great inspiration, ladies.

-Janet[/quote]

Janet, the velcro is holding great. I found these little mesh pouches at an outdoor store sale. There were 4 in the package. I sewed on some velco to the backs of them and now I have one on either side to hold reading glasses, a book, pen, tissues, etc.

I'm beginning to think that velcro is a woman's equivilent to duct tape :)
J.R.R. Tolkien
GlamperGirl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ratkity » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Excellent Glamp! I like those mesh bags.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby baltimoregirl » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 am

I like those mesh bags too, great idea.

Got my trailer yesterday! It hadn't even been used, just been sitting for a year or so, so I took out the mattress and vacuumed and wiped down everything. Ready to make it mine!
:)
[/img]
baltimoregirl
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers