The Dog's Easy Shrimp Stir Fry

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

The Dog's Easy Shrimp Stir Fry

Postby caseydog » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 pm

This is a great camping recipe for teardroppers because you can prepare everything at home, and use the dump-n-cook method at your campsite.

You will need a one burner stove, and one 10-inch skillet.

Here is the recipe for one person. Multiply as needed.

Ten medium to large shrimp (wild caught in USA, please)

One large bell pepper

One small onion

Kosher salt

Ground black pepper

Garlic

Olive oil

Rough dice (3/8 to 1/2 inch pieces) your onion and bell pepper and place them in separate plastic bags. Peel your shrimp, and cut into approximately half-inch pieces, and place in a plastic bag. Pack bags in your cooler before hitting the road.

When you are ready to cook, heat your pan, add a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and put the chopped onion into the pan first, and sweat them for a minute or two. Then, add the bell peppers. Stir or toss as they cook down for another minute or two. While they cook, add salt and pepper to your personal taste. Add the finely chopped or crushed garlic, and then the shrimp.

The shrimp will cook in about a minute. Look for them to "puff out" and become completely opaque. do not overcook.

You can serve this plain in a bowl, or over rice if you wish. It is light, healthy, and full of flavor and textures.

You are left with one pan, one bowl, an a couple utensils to clean after your tasty meal. You can throw the plastic bags away.

Why eat from a can, when it is this easy to eat fresh.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:52 pm

The beauty of stir-fry is that you can substitute the veggies. I like to add celery, slivered carrots and sprouts (right at the end.

A bit of cornstarch added to diluted soy sauce added just before serving make a nice sauce also.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Ageless wrote:The beauty of stir-fry is that you can substitute the veggies. I like to add celery, slivered carrots and sprouts (right at the end.

A bit of cornstarch added to diluted soy sauce added just before serving make a nice sauce also.

I'm with you on the celery, since I like celery. Not everyone does. However, my mom made me eat carrots by the pound as a kid, because her eyesight sucks. So, now I hate carrots. :lol:

I understand the reasons for the corn starch, but I'd have to veto that. This recipe doesn't need to be thickened.

The sprouts are a really good idea -- add them at the end for some more crunch. :thumbsup:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Sounds excellent.

I still have a huge repertoire of sauces, marinades, and such in the kitchen, but I have been reaching for them a lot less here lately.

Fresh ingredients simply prepared can be spectacular!
:thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2