Original Puerto Rican Piña Colada

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Postby caseydog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:53 pm

The birthplace of the Piña Colada is San Juan, Puerto Rico. My family lived in Puerto Rico for a while, and there I grew to love an authentic Piña Colada, and learned how to properly make them.

It is so simple, so forget the pre-made mixes and make it the real way. I have made these at campsites many times. They are a great way to make friends.

Ingredients:

Coco Lopez coconut cream (available at liquor stores and many grocery stores)

Pineapple juice (not from concentrate)

Light Rum (I recommend Cruzan or DonQ)

Pour the contents of one can of Coco Lopez coconut cream into a blender. Use the empty Coco Lopez can to measure out one can of pineapple juice. Add to blender. Use the same can to measure out your rum. A full can of rum is normal -- cut back if you want a weaker drink, but not less than 3/4 of a can, or the Piña Coladas will not taste right.

Equal parts Coco Lopez, Pineapple juice and rum -- can it be any easier than that?

Top off the blender with ice cubes, and blend until your Piña Coladas are nice and creamy in texture.

If you want to get fancy, use a wedge of fresh cut pineapple as a tasty garnish.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 pm

CD,

Do you have a pic of this one? Or do I have to fly down to Puerto Rico?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:19 pm

mikeschn wrote:CD,

Mike...

I'll take a photo the next time I make them. ;)

I better take the picture before I drink the piña coladas. :roll:

However, Puerto Rico would be a great place for you and Chell to go right around January -- unless you really like Michigan in winter. :lol:

That's where I spent my Christmas breaks in college, all expenses paid by Gulf Oil as long as I was a full-time student. 8)

Really, you should go there -- and come back all tanned to make your friends jealous. It's part of the USA, so no passport needed, the currency is the same, and it's a beautiful place with great beaches.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:12 pm

caseydog wrote:

Mike...

However, Puerto Rico would be a great place for you and Chell to go right around January -- unless you really like Michigan in winter. :lol:

That's where I spent my Christmas breaks in college, all expenses paid by Gulf Oil as long as I was a full-time student. 8)

Really, you should go there -- and come back all tanned to make your friends jealous. It's part of the USA, so no passport needed, the currency is the same, and it's a beautiful place with great beaches.

CD

Duely noted.

I haven't been to Mexico in a few years either... ever since we got the dogs we've been camping instead of flying. We have a trip to Myrtle Beach planned for this Christmas. :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:
caseydog wrote:

Mike...

CD

Duely noted.

I haven't been to Mexico in a few years either... ever since we got the dogs we've been camping instead of flying. We have a trip to Myrtle Beach planned for this Christmas. :thumbsup:

Mike...

Puerto Rico is NOTHING like Mexico. The scenery is different, the food is different, there is a robust middle class -- and it's part of the USA.

Plus, from San Juan, it's an easy day trip over to St. Thomas, or you can spend a few days at a world-class resort like Dorado Beach.

It has it's quirks, but all around, Puerto Rico is a nicer, higher class place to visit, where Mexico is a borderline third-world country.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Original Puerto Rican Piña Colada

Postby logman7777 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 am

+1 for Puerto Rico here! My only experience with Mexico was TJ (Tijuana.lol) when I was stationed in San Diego in 83'.

And when you are in old San Juan avoid the Barranchina (Supposed birthplace of the Pina Colada)unless you want an overpriced version and the tourist trap ambiance.

And back on topic I found using a 1/2 can of pineapple chunks or puree to be better tasting than the juice but that would involve using a blender to incorporate the ingredients.
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2