Wind Resistant Paper Towel Holder

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby caseydog » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm

asianflava wrote:That shure beats my method. A 3/8in nut on a piece of string. Maybe I'll look into getting one of yours. There is nothing like looking back at the galley ans seeing the whole roll of paper towel unfurlled and trailing about 100ft behind.

Oh yeah, I've had that experience. :lol:

Thanks for the tip, Danny. I have been looking for something like that. :thumbsup:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Here is another simple approach using bungee cord that cost under $4.00 in parts to make.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

paper towel holder

Postby danlott » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 am

It took me a little while to find more of these on the internet, but I finally found some. The Great Indoors currently has them and at very good price. Seems like they have been discontinued, so the supply is drying up. Get them while you can.

http://www.thegreatindoors.com/shc/s/p_10156_23151_00852580000P

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:22 am

Thanks, Danny...got mine from Wasserstrom via the link you posted. Looks like we wiped that source out. Received mine in the mail Saturday, and it's very heavy duty and of better quality than I expected. :thumbsup:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Alleged User wrote: Looks like we wiped that source out.

:lol: I have enough for 2 more builds ;) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Uncle Chan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm a little cheap. I didn't know there was going to be a problem with wind until my first trip. So, I did a bit of thinking (dangerous) and came up with my own solution. I do Cowboy Action Shooting, Reloading, and Leather Working. As a result, I had a few supplies lying around. Basically, I made my own anti-wind device.

I bought a cheap towel holder. I drilled a hole in the towel holder and threaded a piece of leather thong to it and into a piece of leather strapping I cute and finished for the purpose. I tied it off. I then mounted it to a board. I screwed an adjustable rack (male end) to the back of it and it mates with the female rack I have on the galley hatch of the TD. I then threaded piece of leather thong through the other end of the strapping and into a 45-70 cartridge where I tied it off and then loaded a 405gr bullet into the case. The weight is perfect and keeps the towels firmly against the roll. Of course, you wouldn't need to use a bullet. Anything with a bit of weight would work. Here are a few pics:

Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby Carter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:24 pm

In the camper I use a chrome vertical holder on the picknic table. In the garage I use 3 or 4 3/8" washers that go with Asianflava's nuts and some fishing line like Sonetpro. Works for me but not very elegant. No big deal, it's only a garage
Carter
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:30 pm

TENNJIM wrote:I bought one of those bamboo ones from WalMart. Used a velcro strap the first trip to hold the towels in the wind. Later trips, I added a piece of wood extending out over the towel roll, hinged at the top back of the rack and pulled down by a spring attached from the wood piece to the bottom edge of the rack. It works great.
8)
Jim B / Utah

I saw Jim's and copied it! :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Redgloves » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:24 pm

Found Amco's Quick & Clean Wall-Mounted Paper Towel Holder at Home Village. Item number 3201.

http://www.homevillage.us/quclpatoho.html

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Redgloves wrote:Found Amco's Quick & Clean Wall-Mounted Paper Towel Holder at Home Village. Item number 3201.

http://www.homevillage.us/quclpatoho.html

Jean

A bit more expensive that before but still worth the money. My first one was that much. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby azmotoman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 am

AWWWWWWWWWW! What a waste of a perfectly good 45-70. ;)
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets