Help me choose a bike...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Help me choose a bike...

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice for choosing the right bike for me.

A little background..
I'm 41, about 5'11" and 235lbs. (poor bike). A few years ago, I broke my left leg pretty bad. Plates, screws, surgeries, and my leg is still only back to about 70%, so something easy to ride and comfortable is very important.

I'm mostly thinking about riding it to work, since I only live about a mile away from the office. Probably also some evening rides, and just trying to get back in shape. I'm also hoping the exercise will help me get my diabetes better controlled (type 2).

I don't know the first thing about bikes anymore. The last bike I owned was a Kuwahara bmx bike about 25 years ago. I plan on going to a local bike shop to get fitted properly, but would at least like to have an idea of what type of bike to start looking at. Road bike, mountain bike, etc...

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
subzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MountainBiker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Unfortunately, one of the first things required is a price range

Trek makes some good entry level mountainbikes (Trek 4 and Trek 6)
You can try a Hybred Bike (sort of a road bike/mountain bike mix but will do gravel trails as well
CycloCross will come in at a higher price. It is like a road bike but will also do gravel trails

Then you can get into road bikes, where the sky is the limit.

Your best bet is to do some shopping, then come back home and compare bikes on the internet. There are a lot of good sites out there which will compare the bikes for you.
I quit society when I found out toothpicks came with instructions
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 pm

I am not an expert, and many factors goes into choosing a bike for your personal fit. While shopping, look at the Electra Townie. Check the "flat foot technology" design feature. This is on the wish list for the wife.

http://www.electrabike.com/home.php
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks MountainBiker.

Not knowing if my bum leg will even be up to the challenge of riding, I don't really want to spend a fortune on something that may sit and collect dust. My initial thoughts are in the $400-$600 range. I looked at the Trek District, but at $1099, it was a little out of my budget.

I did like the single speed idea of that bike though. Not even sure I would know how or when to shift a bike LOL.
subzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MountainBiker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 pm

subzero wrote:Thanks MountainBiker.

Not knowing if my bum leg will even be up to the challenge of riding, I don't really want to spend a fortune on something that may sit and collect dust. My initial thoughts are in the $400-$600 range. I looked at the Trek District, but at $1099, it was a little out of my budget.

I did like the single speed idea of that bike though. Not even sure I would know how or when to shift a bike LOL.

The Trek 4 and 6 are cheap but a good bang for your buck. Also, you might want to look at the specialty bikes. A girl down the street has a bad leg and she rides a mountain bike tricycle...not sure how much they cost :thinking:
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby MountainBiker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm

cuyeda wrote:I am not an expert, and many factors goes into choosing a bike for your personal fit. While shopping, look at the Electra Townie. Check the "flat foot technology" design feature. This is on the wish list for the wife.

http://www.electrabike.com/home.php

Yes, my wife was looking at these too
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby Ratkity » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Your best bet is to go to your local bicycle shop and have them fit you to a bicycle. Many cyclists are ex-motorcyclists with a myriad of injuries and can help you with the type of bike best suited for you.

Oh, and don't forget the helmet and gloves.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby MountainBiker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Oh, and don't forget the helmet and gloves.

Hugs,
Ratkity[/quote]

Yes, please make sure you buy a helmet. Some bike shops will throw it in when you buy the bike, but make sure it is a good one with lots of vents to cool your head and still protect you. :thumbsup:
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks all! It's very much appreciated.

I'll definitely be getting the helmet and gloves as well. Though my wife might argue that it probably wouldn't matter much... 8)
subzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I would definitely look at hybrid bikes. I'm too old to bend over some downturned handlebars. And I'll bet you're not looking forward to that either. It'll handle your weight, and give you exercise!

I have a Crosstrail, which is an easy to ride, very comfortable hybrid. You can get them new starting at $440. And used for even less. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... Crosstrail

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the info. It seems there's even a dealer close to me that carries them. Gonna go check 'em out this weekend.
subzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:00 pm

mikeschn wrote:I would definitely look at hybrid bikes. I'm too old to bend over some downturned handlebars. And I'll bet you're not looking forward to that either. It'll handle your weight, and give you exercise!

I have a Crosstrail, which is an easy to ride, very comfortable hybrid. You can get them new starting at $440. And used for even less. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... Crosstrail

Mike...

to old.. :thinking:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:05 pm

I am not sure what I can add.. except...

make sure you buy a helmet and gloves... :lol:

Most any bike will work.. it is what you personally prefer. As mountain biker has said.. knowing your price range does make a difference. There are not many "road" bikes available in your price range. It is not that there is anything inherently about them that makes them more expensive.. there are just not many people looking for a $400 road bike.. no market.. no product.

You just need to get to a shop.. and do some test riding... to find out what fits you physically.. and fits what you prefer.

good luck.

riding a bike can be great rehab... :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:52 pm

The one thing I would add is that it is all about spinning. Using gears and not placing too much stress on the joints. I have ridden with a lot of ex-runners who have blown out knees... Use gears to compensate for wind and terrain. We (tandem) spin at about 100 RPM, and it was hard for my wife to get up to that cadence.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:40 am

Raleigh makes nice bikes for a good price. I think they are as reasonably priced as the Trek bikes.

http://www.raleighusa.com/
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Bicycles