EGGS

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Ratkity » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Egg whites like Eggbeaters can be frozen and placed in a cooler. They slowly thaw and the carton usually has a screw top (around MD they do). There are even flavored versions (cheese and southwest).

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Warning on milk carton style eggs: Some brands taste odd....can't remember which brand it was but it was nasty...had some chemical preservatives in it. Read the listed ingredients to be certain the product you are buying is pure eggs.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:34 pm

I use the carton the eggs come in and trim it as I use them...

And, I ALWAYS put the eggs on top of everything else.. that helps a lot.

come to think of it, I've never had an egg break before its time while camping.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Eggs

Postby queeniejeanne » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Ann Sailor, it just amazes me how many ways there are to carry eggs. Those folks have had many broken eggs to come up with plans created to not break something until the exactly correct moment. That moment being above a hot skillet.

Since We are the Original owners of Route 66 tear, I will let you hear it from Dennis and I. He likes over easy eggs of the morning. We buy farmed grass fed chicken eggs (twice as big as any you buy in the store) so they don't fit in the little red or yellow or green plastic containers. They come in heavy cardboard paper cartons. Put two hand towels under the carton of eggs put into a zip lock bag. Place in cool chest above veggies and they ride beautifully. You put them into the zip lock bag because if your ice get onto the cartons, the cartons sort of melt into limpville and you will have scrambled eggs when the carton folds up on you.

Well, now that I have scrambled your brain with this info. How you two doing out there?

Queenie Jeanne and Dennis
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby annsailor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Thank you, Jeanne

That may be my problem. The eggs may be the wrong size for the container, because we do buy farm eggs. Yes. I have had the paper carton fall apart. Good suggestion. And yes. Chuck, like Dennis, loves his over easy eggs when camping. Even better he loves to cook them.

Two weekends ago we went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival and camped at Coyote Lake. It was very nice.

Next weekend we are going outside of Julian and our friends will be staying in Haylapa. You can find it on the internet. The weekend following we are going to Idyllwild for our first TTT gathering. It is listed under the South West forum. We are really looking forward to that.

I'm sure you don't remember that we have a dirt yard. But, we are remedying that on Thursday. The work will begin. Finally. Full landscape will be drought tolerant.
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

When camping i allways buy "egglands best" eggs because they come in styrofoam cartons :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Ageless » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanx Jeanne for the memories; I was raised on a farm and the chickens had a semi-free range area. The eggs were extra large and the yolks were orange; not yellow like store-bought.

It wasn't until after I got married and bought a chicken in a store that I had ever seen fat on a chicken . . . .and had never seen a 2 or 3 pound chicken . . . . . .
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Ageless wrote:Thanx Jeanne for the memories; I was raised on a farm and the chickens had a semi-free range area. The eggs were extra large and the yolks were orange; not yellow like store-bought.

It wasn't until after I got married and bought a chicken in a store that I had ever seen fat on a chicken . . . .and had never seen a 2 or 3 pound chicken . . . . . .

Ageless has it right. Pull into the 1st drive that has free range chickens and get a dozen or so. These old gals are out eating everything in sight and the shells are almost hard enough to dent a skillet. Store bought get the absolute minimum of everything and the whimpy eggs are anemic inside and out. I raised mine free range for a couple years and it kinda surprises ya when ya can't crack an egg on the first hit.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby annsailor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 pm

You are right about the toughness of the eggs. I had to show my husband how to give them a harder whack. He wasn't used to that.

Ann
annsailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chorizon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Did anyone suggest dipping them in paraffin? That's what we did when hiking...back in the day... 8)
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:41 pm

slowcowboy wrote: my last name is Eggers.
My Eggo thoughts, Slowcowboy.

Legggo! Slo-cowboy. Couldn't resist. Sure you haven't heard that one before! :thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 am

Never had much of a problem with egg storage in the cooler except for the recycled cardboard egg cartons, they fall apart when wet. My biggest cooler storage problem was the frozen pie crusts for the crab quiche'..... perhaps a unique camping storage problem. 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Steve a small pie taker and a pie pan inside with a large wad of wax paper to keep it from bouncing around and it should arrive intact.

Ol what's her name puts a larger pie pan on each side and tapes them together to sandwich the shell inside so it will arrive safely.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Never had much of a problem with egg storage in the cooler except for the recycled cardboard egg cartons, they fall apart when wet. My biggest cooler storage problem was the frozen pie crusts for the crab quiche'..... perhaps a unique camping storage problem. 8)

Zip Lock gallon baggy. They make bigger sizes too.. :thinking: wonder if tupperware has one.

Here ya go Steve

http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_ ... 0055420000
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby TD Beej » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Just got back from camping, first time taking eggs. I put and dozen and half in the original cardboard container in the cooler, just kept it on top and had no problems.

B^)
Last edited by TD Beej on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets