convert kerosene lantern to 120v

Anything electric, AC or DC

convert kerosene lantern to 120v

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Here is the $ 2.50 lantern as purchased

Here it is disassembled

With a 4 " grinder I widened the mantle to the inside diameter of the Christmas light socket ( a round file or a rotary file or a tapered grinding cone would be even better)

Turn the mantel over fill the bowl shaped void around the socket.

Drill a small hole in the rear of the fuel tank for the cord. Feed the power cord in and make your connections to the socket. This way your splice is in the tank. Wire nuts and tape or solder and tape should work. With the possibility of the thin tank cutting into the cord you may want to drill a larger hole and install a rubber gromet to protect the cord

Here it is lit with a orange christmas light

In comparison here is a mini based high intensity bulb

It took longer to prepare and post this thread than it did to build these lights. ( about 45 minutes to build both ) and less than $4.00 each , even including the hot glue.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby High Desert » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 pm

That's really neat Bob. Those little lanterns always seemed so cheaply made I would be leary of lighting one on kerosene, but this makes them useful and safe too. :thumbsup:

Ever done one with 12v? That would be handy too.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:04 pm

...that's pretty darn neat Bob...I wonder...didja use any kinda special hot glue...I ask because I wonder if the heat of the bulb would melt the glue causing the socket to loosen..............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:45 pm

High Desert wrote:That's really neat Bob. Those little lanterns always seemed so cheaply made I would be leary of lighting one on kerosene, but this makes them useful and safe too. :thumbsup:

Ever done one with 12v? That would be handy too.

YEP

In Chubby I have the same lantern setup and in the top of the chimney I wired in a 12 volt DC dome light bulb. This let them work on 120 when available and 12 volt dc off grid. Did the same on the porch light you can see them in this pic.

You can't see them but trust me I did the same in these little lanterns.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:54 pm

madjack wrote:...that's pretty darn neat Bob...I wonder...didja use any kinda special hot glue...I ask because I wonder if the heat of the bulb would melt the glue causing the socket to loosen..............
madjack 8)

Ya mighy have a point with the high intensity bulb ( that sucker got damned hot real quick) but heat goes up generally and the chimney will draw what heat is generated. I just placed 4 watt or 7 watt bulbs in mine so they do not generate much heat. LED's would be the way to go if money is no object.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:48 am

Took a night shot .

I like the orange bulbs they look more like a flame and they might attract fewer bugs.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lazerus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Love the light modification.. I have 3 or 4 old ones about to get hacked.

An additional hack if I may.

If you used a socket from an automotive dual filament socket ie; turn signal and an 1157A bulb (normal turn signal bulb but with amber glass), with an added on-off-on switch you have a dual brightness lamp.

For new parts your local auto parts house should have what you need, others will just scrounge from a scrap yard or the parts truck out back lol.
lazerus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ted71 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 am

It may not be very aerodynamic but if you put the turn signal bulb in the lantern why couldn't you use it for a tail light? When you have the wick holder out you could drill a hole through the bottom to put a bolt through so that it could be bolted in place on the rear bumper. If you use a slip connector you could spin off a wing nut from the bottom and disconnect the lantern to move it inside or put it up as a porch light. Duel duty.

I have a couple of these lanterns there is a big difference in how they are made. I have two from China one leaks a little if it is filled to high and the other is fine. Now I look for the really old lanterns at fleamarkets and pawn shops that are American made. I have not been able to find replacement glass for them yet.

Ted
ted71
Teardrop Inspector

Re: convert kerosene lantern to 120v

Postby sr5bidder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:33 pm

so where does one find and purchase these cheap lanterns
sr5bidder
Teardrop Builder

Re: convert kerosene lantern to 120v

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm

sr5bidder wrote:so where does one find and purchase these cheap lanterns

Sorry I just found this post !

My little cheepie lanterns were from dollar general 2.50. !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Electrical Secrets