Help me choose a bike...

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Billy K wrote:Forgive my ignorance....I'm glad that you got a bike that you are happy with; but....not ever having ridden the top end stuff....

If, this is (potentially) a bike that may wind up "collecting dust" .

Why would a Wally-world or Big K type not be a good bike to put a season on? Get your wheels back under you kind of entry-level price.

Not beating you up or 2d guessing your choices; just learning.

$479.. is far from top end.. far far far from top end.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby BPFox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Fenlason wrote:
Billy K wrote:Forgive my ignorance....I'm glad that you got a bike that you are happy with; but....not ever having ridden the top end stuff....

Why would a Wally-world or Big K type not be a good bike to put a season on? Get your wheels back under you kind of entry-level price.

Add a zero and you are getting close. :lol: I'm no expert but I would say $479.00 will get you a pretty decent entry level dealer bike. If it makes you love to ride, it's worth every penny. Peace.
BPFox
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm

BPFox wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

Add a zero and you are getting close. :lol: I'm no expert but I would say $479.00 will get you a pretty decent entry level dealer bike. If it makes you love to ride, it's worth every penny. Peace.

yes $479.. very decent..

add a zero... :no:

top end.. if you multiply it by 20... you are getting close...

the upper end is getting pretty hi tech now.. it used to be with our discounts bike shop employees would ride the best.. most of us can't do it now...
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby zapj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Passion!!! :R
zapj
Donating Member

Postby subzero » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am

Hey gang. Thought I would pop in and give an update.

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks in with the new bike and totally love it! I'm still trying to gain on the fitness side, and am riding about 25+ miles per week. That # should double in the next week or so.

I understand there are opinions for both the box stores and working with an LBS, but honestly, after my experience, I couldn't imagine working with anyone other than a LBS. Being able to ask questions, and trying different sizes make a huge difference.

I actually tried a mtn bike at wally world after buying my Trek, and was amazed at the difference in feel and construction (not to mention weight). I don't have anything against the box store bikes. In fact, I just bought my 12 yo a mtn bike from wally world, and he loves it! My wife is also wanting one. I kind of compare it to planning a vacation to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, and ending up in Vegas at the Paris Hotel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what you were expecting.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I really appreciate all the advice, and of course, respect all the different opinions.
subzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby zapj » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:26 am

:thumbsup: Congrat Subzero on your purchase. When you ask for advise expect differing opinions because of so many variables otherwise, why ask? The bottom line is, what meets your needs? I respect an open mind.
Jim
zapj
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:06 pm

zapj wrote:Passion!!! :R

8) 8)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:06 pm

subzero wrote:Hey gang. Thought I would pop in and give an update.

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks in with the new bike and totally love it! I'm still trying to gain on the fitness side, and am riding about 25+ miles per week. That # should double in the next week or so.

I understand there are opinions for both the box stores and working with an LBS, but honestly, after my experience, I couldn't imagine working with anyone other than a LBS. Being able to ask questions, and trying different sizes make a huge difference.

I actually tried a mtn bike at wally world after buying my Trek, and was amazed at the difference in feel and construction (not to mention weight). I don't have anything against the box store bikes. In fact, I just bought my 12 yo a mtn bike from wally world, and he loves it! My wife is also wanting one. I kind of compare it to planning a vacation to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, and ending up in Vegas at the Paris Hotel. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what you were expecting.

Anyway, just thought I would give an update. I really appreciate all the advice, and of course, respect all the different opinions.

yes I am glad you are liking your bike.. and biking... :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Previous

Return to Bicycles