the "Simmons Hide-a Bed"updated 9/26/11 pg. 3

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

the "Simmons Hide-a Bed"updated 9/26/11 pg. 3

Postby David S » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm

I started this build a year ago when work was a little slow.I got the frame and floor built,then things picked up and I hadn't got a thing done but collect parts.I finally decided a few weeks ago I was going to work on it an hour a day no matter what everyone else wants done. here are the original pics, I'll post some pics of the recent progress latter in the week
Last edited by David S on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 am, edited 9 times in total.
David S
Donating Member

Postby David S » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm

Rest of pics
Imagehttp://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=69763
David S
Donating Member

More pics

Postby David S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Sides are up
Spares made from 2x2 yellow pine installed
Hatch frame is made and installed with temporary hinges
When the Linear Actuator came I just had to build a temporary bulkhead to see if it would work.
[img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=70568[/img][/img]
This thing is just to cool,rated at 250lbs it lifts the hatch like a champ.it goes up plenty high but I got it with the momentary switch so I can stop or reverse it wherever I want
Last edited by David S on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David S
Donating Member

Postby David S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:22 pm

All though I havn't designed it completly there will be a way to diconnect the lift form inside the cabin in case of malfunction,so it can be lifted manually.I have also figuered out the bulkhead will have to be stout to offset the leverage of the hatch trying to move int the wind etc, when in the up position.
David S
Donating Member

Wow!!!!

Postby myoung » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I think you have just solved a problem of lifting a pop-up with an elegant solution: a 12-volt linear actuator.

I have done a quick check on the options available and found one that I think is ideal for my application, a 18-inch extension with fast activation up to 1.75 inches per second pushing 40 pounds. The model is FA-04-12-18 by Firgelli Automations and costs about $130. The motor and gearing are contained within a tube of less than 2-inches square. Way cool.

Thanks a million for the idea!!
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby David S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks Mike
Mine is the Firgelli FA-240-12-18 ,they have a lot of diffrent sizes and load limits,I mocked up with 2 pc's of wood to check what size I needed,being careful of where the counter top is etc,The 200lb may have been overkill but wasn't that much more expense.It weighs next to nothing and seems to be first rate quality.I really had to restrain myself from getting the remote operator,Imagine setting in your lawn chair and raising the hatch up and down , :lol: .
Here is their addres for anyone interested
David.
http://www.firgelliauto.com/default.php?cPath=69&osCsid=e7a1086a93d6a177b9e5482d05925603
David S
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:50 pm

David S wrote:Thanks Mike
Mine is the Firgelli FA-240-12-18 ,they have a lot of diffrent sizes and load limits,I mocked up with 2 pc's of wood to check what size I needed,being careful of where the counter top is etc,The 200lb may have been overkill but wasn't that much more expense.It weighs next to nothing and seems to be first rate quality.

I noticed that there is very little difference in price between the slow, heavy-load models and the fast, light-load models. Have you computed the weight of your clamshell roof?

Also, there is very little difference in price between the models with external, piggy back motors and models with internal motors contained within the 1.77-inch square tube. I'm curious as to why you chose the external motor model.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby David S » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Mike without going through all my figures,I think the amount of stroke and the lift force helped me decide,if I remember right ,the one's with the internal motors have a longer closed length because of the motor.that would have forced me to move the mounting higher on the bulkhead to miss my counter top when closed,which in my mind would have required more force on everything in the open stroke.I calculated my hatch to be under 75lbs when I'm done, depending on how many lights,paper towel holders etc. I windup with.I just ran it off a 2amp charger to test it and I think it's a 5amp if I remember right.The only time the sound of the motor changed was at the point where the force was pushing the hatch out and where it started pushing upwards.I expect it to have more power when properly supplied with a battery.If you can see in the pic the actuator is almost level when closed.If it was mounted higher I think it would have to work harder, even push down some before it started lifting.
David
David S
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 am

Yeah. The angle and arc thru which the actuator has to move really makes a difference. In your case both are rather large. In mine, it is almost a straight push with almost no arc of travel.

Also, I've got plenty of room between countertop and roof to secure the actuator in the retracted position.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Shane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:14 am

Hi David

What kind of axels are you using? Whats the bolt pattern and where did you get them?

/Shane
Shane
Teardrop Builder

Postby David S » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Shane
They are rubber tosion axels
Here is link to themhttp://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335742_200335742&issearch=12422

Hubs are 5 x 4 1/2" centers
Here is link to them[url][url]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200334718_200334718&issearch=205[/url[/url]
you could also go with a hub with brakes which I may do if needed.I have a flatbed trailer that I pull with my tow vehicle which I have loaded with materials that weigh more than my teardrop will, and never had a stopping problem.That sky light is cool where did you get that?
David
Last edited by David S on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David S
Donating Member

Postby David S » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Mike,
You were up late drawing last night.
Now I see what you are trying to do,you actually won't be lifting the whole weight of the hatch like a teardrop does.
Looks to me like that will work just fine.
Gotta decide today where to put the control switch.I'm thinking just inside the street side door so I can reach in while standing outside and watch that it goes up ok.I guess thats where the remote would be nice,it could still be added if I want.
David
David S
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:56 pm

If for no other reasons, the remote would be cool for showing off and for wowing and surprising your friends. Toys matter!!

:relaxing:
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby David S » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Got some more done last week, built the bulkhead,vinyl on floor of galley,preliminary electronics,pollyed inside of galley lower cabinets.
I finally decided to make the galley uppers acessable from both sides.This will allow me to unhook the acctuator if it ever fails, and cookies after going to bed if needed. :twisted: Image

Image[/img]
Hope to get the laminate on the countertop today.
Last edited by David S on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David S
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:39 pm

This thread is too cool... that actuator is the cat's pajamas! and your teardrop isn't bad either.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

:thumbsup:

P.S. David, so that we can avoid side-scrolling in our browser windows due to your pictures laying side-by-side, please drop your subsequent [IMG] tags to the next line down using the Enter key... thanks!

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals