What are you using for a frame?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What or whose frame do you use?

Harbor Freight
24%
Red Trailer
3%
Northern Equipment
3%
Custom, had it built
10%
Built it myself.
29%
Cannabalized an existing trailer and modified it.
29%
tractor supply
1%

Total votes : 143

Postby dovaka » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Arne wrote:just my opinion... most of these frames are way over built for a tear. The body of a tear is a rigid box... I like 2bits the best... I did it differently because of the way I mounted my axle.

Most of these frames weigh 200# more than they have to.

now that i have built mine and put the base deck on it i defiantly wish i used some thinner stock but ill remember that for the next build
dovaka
The 300 Club

old camper frame

Postby danlott » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:27 pm

I am modifying an old camper frame. Not sure I will save much money, but I like reusing stuff whenever possible. Plus without getting this frame I am not sure when I would have built one myself. I have been slowly working on it between other projects, so atleast I am making some progress.

Dan

Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby jackdaw » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:03 am

I've used Al-ko caravan chassis for the first two builds. They have a variable beam, and come with brakes fitted to. They're prity easy to shorten.

This is the first one. The sections are probably a bit bigger than they need to be.

The second one was much lighter than the first, as it came from a little 2 berth Leda caravan built in the late 80's.

The current build is going to have a Trophy caravan chassis . They're a little different to the alko , and don't have the variable beam.
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 am

#1 Harbor freight 40 x 48 with extended new tongue.

#2 cannabilized parts off of a HF 4 x8 that was bent and semi custom made the frame using 2 dock handrails.

#3 Northern 5x8 flatbed. Just sawed off the side rails

#4 reused #1's 40 x48 HF frame
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Thought I would wake this up.

Postby Dragonryder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 am

I'm using the frame off of an old pop-up camper that water got into and ruined the canvas. Ruined a lot of the wood too. It is very heavy duty and should work great. It has allowed me to go a little wider and a little longer. :thumbsup:
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

Starting on my teardrop chassis later this month.

"Custom, had it built" was where I cast my vote in this poll, but I will be doing everything but the actual welding itself. I may do some welding, but only as a welding student. I'll be doing the rest of the fabrication myself although I have yet to choose the tubing dimensions and wall thicknesses.

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:17 am

Old boat trailer center beam had to add 2x4's and a part from an aluminum palot that I found across the front for added support.

put on new wheels, tires, tong hitch, and paint

here is what I did to make sides and front more stable.

then rest of body went on that

ending in pictures to your left.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 am

Similar to jackdaw I canibalised an old rotten caravan and shortened the chassis. Fortunately its all bolted together so not that tricky. Plus gonna recycle some of the appliances and sell the ones I dont want.

Cant move the tongue back because of the axle beam so will have a long tongue but that the great thing about building yourself you modify to suit whats available and your skills and requirements.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I voted built it myself, although my son-on-law did practically all of the welding. I did design the chassis. I bought and cut all of the steel and laid up the frame for welding. I learned a little about welding and welded on the torsion axle mounts that I made from angle stock.

My new build will also have my own home-built frame with the same Dexter torsion axle. This frame will be practically the same as the first one, just foot longer. I could have one built for about twice the cost of building one, but it would be of angle steel construction, not tubular steel. So, for half the price I'll have a stronger trailer.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to User Polls