First exposure to Teardrops

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Was RV Crazy the genisis of your dsire for a tear drop

Poll ended at Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes : 30

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 pm

I saw my first teardrop in about 1959....I sat in the campground with my coffee can coat hanger stove I was working on and stared at that trailer for hours. Years later I was fortunate to have a good "woods" near the house and managed to mark up just about every tree with a fort. I actually had some cool ones. Maybe it was just a step towards my final goal...a tear. Got my first one in about '78 a '49 Kit. I used it for maybe 6 years, then just let it sit had a Coleman pop up. Sold it to a friends brother with a 40 Ford in about '90, still know where it lives today. Stumbled around the internet after a couple boat builds and found this site. I remembered how much fun I had with the Kit and decided I'd build one that I could actually fit in....and in the words of Cherokee George..."so the dance begins"....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bobhenry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:38 am

January 07

Cold and miserable outside and a co-worker was surfing the net and found a teardrop trailer ad for ONLY :shock: $15,000. He called me into his office and showed me my 1st teardrop trailer. I was caught up and started surfing everycorner of the net and found t&ttt , immediatly joined and started building Eggbert a very low cost 3x5 motorcycle cargo. That build was quick and I was still stoked so I started Chubby a 5x10 for the wife and I. Now a barn trailer and the dog has a teardrop dog house.

AM I OUT OF CONTROL :shock:

9/19 UPDATE: now a 4x6 chuckwagon trailer is started Image
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Mightydog » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Wife and I used to tent camp with our daughters. One trip late in the season, we got so very cold that we couldn't get warm all of the way home. We stopped camping after that.

After the kids moved out, we decided that we wanted to camp again but didn't want to get cold. We looked at fixing up an older standie, but didn't want the headaches of dealing with mold and rot. We saw a teardrop at a car show. Found out more about them decided to build one though we didn't have any building experience at all.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MoparCzy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:21 pm

I saw one at a car show a few years back. Then I have seen a few more at car shows since then. This summer my wife took her 1960 Dodge Dart Seneca to a show at Lincoln City, OR on the coast. We saw another there, then after the car show we went camping and as we were leaving actually saw one being used as a camper instead of a show piece. We talked to the owners and found out that they had built it themselves. We we got home we started looking around online and the bug bit us. Now we are designing ours based on a homebuilt frame and 5' x 10' body. With lots of luck we might get to start building it next spring. First I have to get the 72 Road Runner driveable.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kens » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am

Saw them on ebay looking for a small trailer
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

No

Postby Dragonryder » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 am

I was disappointed to open my pop-up camper only to find water had found its way inside. It ruined the wood and canvas to the point that it was just not worth messing with. I was planning on having it towed away when I found a site of someone building a teardrop. I thought that I could give that a try. So one thing has led to another and here I am. I guess it was the internet that put me onto teardrops. :thumbsup:
Have a great day and hoping the weather is great no matter where you are!!!

Signed, Me
Dragonryder
Teardrop Master

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 am

First time I saw a Teardrop was at a kitcar show. One was being towed behind a kitcar and I thought it look quite smart.

I spoke the the owner and it turned out he built it himself so I decided to dig around and found this site on the net and like them.

Then the wife turned round and said she refused to go in a tent anymore I mentioned teardrops brought her to this site showed her andrews designs the went to a meet in the UK where we met jackdaw, Dan and a few others looked around their tears and that was it she was hooked and telling me to get building.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Kens wrote:Saw them on ebay looking for a small trailer

Same here Ken. I was about to buy a motorcycle (in 2001) and I wanted a small trailer to carry stuff for long distance trips.

Ebay had some... but they also had Teardrops.

They made so much more sense that the motorcycle that I was immediately "hooked".

6 months later I had mine on the road and never looked back. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 pm

I wanted to buy a tent trailer, only to find out there were very few that would work with my 2004 Honda CR-V (1,500 lb tow capacity, 150 lb tongue weight).

So, I did a Google search for "lightweight camping trailers", and got a hit on "teardrop". Did a second search on "Teardrop Trailer" and found this forum.

It's been a crazy ride ever since! :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 am

I found a website showing a guy who made a teardrop to pull off road with his Jeep. I was hooked. Found this site and got started. Saw my first Teardrop in person at my first gathering.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Nope

Postby tearhead » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Mark and I went to the auto museum in Hartford, WI a couple of years ago (great museum, btw, in an old Kissel car factory) and they had a vintage tear there, opened up, so you could see inside. I made some offhand remark about how that would be something we'd do and Mark agreed. Then a week or so later he saw a different type of tear being towed, and tried to describe it to me. So then I googled teardrop trailers and THEN found the RV crazy segment on youtube along with a bunch of others.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

First TD

Postby john curtis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:32 pm

The first TD I saw was about 6 years ago.I was driving from Edmonton AB. to Saskatoon Sask.for a job when I spotted 3 of then sitting on a side road beside the hiway,red yelow and blue.Didn't have time to stop.Then the next spring while in Saskatoon I spotted 2 sitting at the RV dealer,again no time to stop.When I got back home and to a PC I looked up these little Trailers,and that was it I had to have one so I ordered a set of plans from Dessert Teardrops and that was even befor I found this forum.Never have used the plans from Dessert,built a copy of the Kenskill from Andrew's site,and thats when I told my girlfriend that I was going to build a TD and I know she thought I was nuts but she was wright there helping me with the build.Still building but it's usable.
John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to User Polls