Hamburger buns

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Hamburger buns

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:49 pm

This is not necessarily a good recipe for a campsite, but hamburgers are a natural when camping, and having made these for me babies... they refuse to eat store bought.

... or so they tell me, anyway.

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons dry milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons melted butter (melted butter isn't necessary... very soft butter works just as well - as long as you can work it into the dough. My butter lives on the counter in a covered dish... very melty during the summer. That's what I use, guesstimating my measurement)

Makes eight big buns or one 4.5 x 8 loaf.

Mix all together and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Let rise in oiled bowl for an hour
(mine rose way over double) form into eight rolls and place on sheet pan. Cover and let
rise for an hour. Bake at 375. 12-15min.
I formed them the way I saw someone doing Kaiser rolls. Press ball of dough out into a
circle about the size of the ï¬
Last edited by Judeyramone on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:29 pm

:o Those look delicious! Do they hold up well for hamburgers? I am going to try that. Please do share your pizza dough receipe.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:48 pm

They do hold up well for hamburgers. Describing them as rugged outdoorsman buns might be harsh... they work for hamburgers, sloppy joes, cold sandwiches...
The beauty if this recipe is its infallibility. You simply can't screw them up. Gurl made them once for her own girls, and skipped the second rising (after shaping) by accident, and they were still good.

Just don't expect light, airy, fluffy buns like you'd buy at the supermarket. These are better. :)

Pizza in the oven as we speak, so I'll post that recipe w/photos later tonight.
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm waiting for both recipes... :o :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby xcuue80 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 am

I just got a new barbecue grill, so hamburgers were in order. As a home bread baker, I've occasionally made homemade hamburger buns, and there is no question that a hamburger is just better with freshly baked buns.
xcuue80
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1