Pizza crust

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Pizza crust

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Once again, not especially suited for camping, but easy to make in advance. I've done it & kept int in the 'Fridge for a day or two...

3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour warm water into a bowl. The water should be about 85 to 115° F. Test it with your
hand. It should feel very warm, but comfortable. Add the honey and salt. Mix by and
hand (I use a whisk) until well blended. Add the yeast and mix some more. Let
this mixture sit for about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of flour and the olive oil and mix until
well blended (whisk, once again). Add the rest of the flour and mix well. The
dough should turn into a ball.

Once the dough is balled up, place the ball on a floured board and knead for about a
minute. This builds the gluten which helps the dough to rise and become fluffy when
cooked. Place the dough in a plastic grocery bag and store in a
warm, dry area to rise.

(You can leave it in the plastic grocery bag for quite a while, in the 'Fridge... overnight, or longer)

After about 45 minutes the dough should have about doubled in size. Show it who's
boss and punch it down. That's right, give it a good smack so it deflates. Let it rise for
another hour. The dough is now ready to be rolled out. You can
punch the dough down one more time if you want and wait another hour or two before
rolling out. The choice is yours.

(I rarely punch down at all... usually dinner is in order & I have no time for such shennanigans)

You're now ready for the next step: Rolling out the dough.
This dough can also be made in advance and refrigerated for a day or so, or even
frozen. Be sure to let it come to room temperature before using.

One mistake most people make when working with dough is not using enough muscle.
Dough ï¬
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby Judeyramone » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Hmmm... I also have a super white bread recipe.

Yeast doughs are scary, but what I like about these I have posted, is they are almost impossible to ruin. Not specifically for making on a campsite, but if you have an oven handy, neither should be too much trouble while relaxing in a lawn chair (10min of work, hour of relaxation... 10min of work, hour of relaxation...). I tent camp, and cook over the fire, and won't be baking at the campsite... but I will be making bread this Friday afternoon, so Gurl & I can have toast Saturday morning with eggs & coffee.
Judeyramone
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

Warning hot bread hijack of pizza crust thread

( but I didn't start it)

This seem to always be a hit at our gatherings
pot luck dinner.
Served hot right out of the dutch oven
with plenty of butter

And the best part no leftovers to deal with :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 am

Er, BH ... you got a recipe for that bread ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Back On Track...
The pizza dough recipe looks good and since you'd be making it prior to leaving to camp, I'd say it'd be well suited for camping...
Thanks for posting it!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby xcuue80 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 am

Wow! so yummy! We shouldn't miss this one out. I wanna make try for this weekend gathering. Full of excitement here.
Thanks for this thread..
Last edited by xcuue80 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
xcuue80
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 am

They also make "pizza screens" that are circular pieces of expanded metal. You put your dough on them, then add your sauce and toppings and bake. They let the heat get to the bottom pizza and allow for moisture to escape. Costco bakes their pizzas on them. Restaurant supply houses usually sell them.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1