Recumbent Bicycles

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Recumbent Bicycles

Postby notned » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:35 am

I don't know much the statistics on bicycle injuries. I had the idea that recumbent bikes would be safer and I loved the comfort of them but......

I had a fall. I skidded out in water turning right. I broke my ankle in two places and dislocated it.

I guess the serious problems with bikes involve cars, I'm thankful that no cars were involved. I was just shocked at how easy it was to break a limb.
notned
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 am

Sorry to hear about your fall!

I fell once in a similar manner from a regular road bike. Moss growing in the bottom of a dip in the road. I fell heavily from a fairly high position to my right shoulder. It hurt for a year, but was not broken!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby drafter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm

You could always compromise and get a recumbent trike. It has comfort and three wheels to keep you upright. I won't lie to you, they (trikes) can be flipped if you are doing something silly. I bruised my pride showing off.

Sorry about your crash and I hope you get riding as soon as you heal.
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fenlason » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:14 am

sorry about your accident.. I wish you a speedy recovery.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby kirkman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 am

I second the recumbent trike. I have this one and I love it!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby notned » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm feeling stronger everyday. On the 30th I find out the next step.

That trike looks good.
notned
Donating Member

Postby t-vicky » Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 pm

My 14 year old grandson thought he would do a high speed spin-out on my recumbant trike on our gravel road. He got it sideways alright, then the front axle bent over & he did 3 compleat flips. Unaware I had seen the whole thing, he came carrying it up the drive crying Im so sorry Papa. I desided that all the skined spots were enough punshment since he wanted to help fix it. Never told him how hard I laughed when he was doing the flips.
The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon May 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I've ridden a Haluzak Hybrid Race recumbent since 2001 and have been very lucky in my accidents :)

Most of my crashes result in me landing on my butt and the bike laying down next to me.

There is a large advantage to traveling feet first with your butt less than 2 feet off the ground.

The two times I was hit by a car, the car suffered more injury than I because of my protruding chain ring. Left some messy claw marks down the driver's quarter panel and door.

Keep the rubber side down

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby SteveF » Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

As you've unfortunately learned, it's not what sort of bike you fall off of, it's how you land that breaks bones--sorry to hear about your injury-hope you have a speedy and complete recovery...

Recumbents are safer in some situations, less so in others. I find them more sketchy in gravel or on loose, uncertain surfaces than an upright and you are lower, out of the sightline of drivers, especially if they're in something tall like a big truck or SUV.

But, yeah--they're good if you hit something head on--leading with your big ring!
SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby notned » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

Checking back in. I'm doing very well. A little stiff after sitting and in the morning.

I'm riding again, but not so regularly. I'll never look at a wet gutter quite the same way again.

I need to practice tuck and roll, but I don't want to fall. :thinking:
notned
Donating Member

Postby JuneBug » Mon May 30, 2011 6:46 pm

We were in Durango, CO this weekend to cheer on a friend riding the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Saturday is the big citizens ride and race from Durango to Silverton (50 miles over two 10,000' + passes -- Coal Bank and Molas) or the Quarter Horse option = 25 miles up to Purgatory Ski Area, now known (lamely, in my opinion) as Durango Mountain Resort. We saw a guy rocking a hand cycle trike. Sunday morning we were downtown watching the crits and saw the same guy racing the crits and I suspect he has paralysis relatively high up on his spine, since he was in close to a prone position on the trike. He set a good pace. This particular crit was 30 minutes + 5 laps.
We weren't riding, but next year there is a good possibility we will be riding at least the Quarter Horse. Although you don't go over the big passes in the first 25 miles, there is enough climbing at a steep enough grade to qualify it as a suffer fest of sorts.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Tue May 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Glad you are recovering well. I tore my hamstring tendon 2 1/2 years ago, cannot ride a regular bike again, due to the surgery part, so I bought myself a recumbent trike two weeks ago. Enjoying it very much, can't believe how slow I go! I'm sure I will gain some speed as I get into condition. It also seems to be a much better aerobic workout.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Glad to hear there are others who enjoy bents and TTT's

Postby mkitchen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Mo and I have been riding bents for about 10 years and love them and we like to travel so we take out bents on the back of our TD and it has been working out great. We always have something to do when we get to camp.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to Bicycles