No-Iron Sheets

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

No-Iron Sheets

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Ironing sheets is just not going to happen in my lifetime. What's the best way to have them come out of the dryer less wrinkled?

I currently use a Bounce sheet in the dryer, but I have never used a fabric softener in the washer. Will that help?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby TheresaD » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I find that if I take the sheets out of the dryer as soon as it stops and fold them while still warm they usually end up pretty wrinkle free. Of course that doesn't happen to often since I usually forget to go back downstairs until long after the dryer finishes. :roll:
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:35 pm

I am interested in this topic, too. I think to some extent it depends on the sheets. Seems like the ones that aren't so heavy in cotton content stay crisper in the wash. I try to find sheets that are around 200 thread count. And then sometimes they're very crisp in the package, but when they're washed the sizing is washed out and they're limp. Haven't figured out a remedy for that and I'm NOT going to starch and iron!

It recently dawned on me that I don't have to stuff the entire load in the dryer at once. I've been washing a load and then putting the permanent press things in the dryer first and drying on the permanent press setting, then hanging on hangers (usually it's shirts and pants) or folding. Then I do the rest of the load on the cotton setting. If you're concerned about sheets, you could dry them first, separately, or even one sheet at a time. But it's true, if they sit in the dryer they will wrinkle.

I keep reading that fabric softener (sheets or otherwise) leave a layer of something on the clothes that is not good long term, so I rarely use it.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I can't remember the last time I used fabric softener. However, I've heard that Bounce original scent fabric sheets will ward off mosquitos.

The biggest problem with wrinkles comes from letting things sit, still hot, in the dryer after it stops rotating. When the dryer buzzer sounds, I flip the switch over to cold air and let it spin around for another 10 or 15 minutes. That cools the sheets down so that I get very few, if any, wrinkles.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm

:D I read in here last fall that some people use scented bounce sheets to keep mice out of the teardrop in the winter--but other people say that mice love to chew up the bounce sheets :) (we used Irish Spring soap, shaved). But that's kind of off-topic!

On the subject of sheets, I will do that, too (just air fluff if I've forgotten to take them out). Or sometimes there's something that is still a little damp and I can get the wrinkles out as they toss around in there with the damp stuff as it dries.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:04 pm

Okay, time for some testosterone to enter this thread. Who cares if the sheets are wrinkled. You are going to sleep on them, not wear them to a job interview.

Okay, now I'll go back to my man cave and eat some raw meat.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Caseydog, I'm with you. This is why my linen closet is full of wrinkly sheets!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 pm

What is this IRON you speak of? I think one of the Cast Iron people said it was part of one of their dutch ovens.

:lol: :lol:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Deb » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:46 pm

I've found that if I dry them on the permanent press cycle, rather than on the usual timed dry, they are much less wrinkled...just like our shirts and blouses! The permanent press cycle is just about 31 minutes, but I'm sure the temperature is what makes the difference.
Deb
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:12 pm

So here's a question....if this stuff is called "permanent press" then why the hell is there a setting on an iron for said "permanent press"? Seems like permanent press indicates, "no need to press". Maybe I'm missing something...it has been said that I have in the past....What the heck to I know though...I do iron my curtains in the trailer... :oops: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby martha24 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 pm

doug hodder wrote:So here's a question....if this stuff is called "permanent press" then why the hell is there a setting on an iron for said "permanent press"? Seems like permanent press indicates, "no need to press". Maybe I'm missing something...it has been said that I have in the past....What the heck to I know though...I do iron my curtains in the trailer... :oops: Doug

Permanent press is usually part polyester and doesn't get as wrinkly as 100% cotton, but if left in a heap it will wrinkle. There are some fabrics that won't wrinkle if left in a heap, like some of the man made knits that are often used for travel clothes.
I don't remember any of my irons having a "permanent press" setting but a synthetic setting or other such word. They shouldn't be ironed with as hot a setting as cotton or any of the natural fibers because polyester and other synthetics can melt.

I don't think people worry as much whether clothes are crisply pressed as in the past. When permanent press became popular it replaced cotton being ironed often with starch. Even if permanent press needs some ironing it doesn't need much and is easier than cotton.
The down side to permanent press is that it doesn't usually feel as nice as natural (cotton, wool, silk, linen) fabrics and it doesn't breath like natural fabric either.

Doug, this may be more information than you wanted, but hopefully answers your question. 8) :lol:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:09 pm

I agree that the lower count sheets don't seem to wrinkle as much but I don't like sleeping on them now that I've slept on 400-600. The Pima cotton sheets feel like butter, espcially the pillowcases.

I normally dry my sheets outside on a retractable clothes line. I like the smell of fresh air sheets. But I will run them through the dryer for a few minutes to get the wrinkles out, then hang them.

I've never ironed a sheet but I have ironed pillowcases when I have company over.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm

The sheets on my bed are wrinkled and I could not care less. But now that I have a guest bed (the Murphy bed) I'd like to have it nicely made.

Sheets are too expensive these days to buy and then find out they wrinkle.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:19 pm

...funny, I thought all sheets were "no iron"...at least I've never ironed 'em and I've never seen the poorgirl iron 'em either...course she makes up the bed with hospital corners and you could bounce a quarter off of them so, any wrinkles just disappear...............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:55 am

madjack wrote:...funny, I thought all sheets were "no iron"...at least I've never ironed 'em and I've never seen the poorgirl iron 'em either...course she makes up the bed with hospital corners and you could bounce a quarter off of them so, any wrinkles just disappear...............
madjack 8)

Me too Jack. That's how mom taught me.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Return to Lady Teardroppers