missing State!

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Postby Arne » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:54 am

I was planning on trying to get up in the Summer (on one of those cruise ships) with hopes of seeing the Northern Lights. Then someone reminded me the sun doesn't set in the Summer.....

Seems unfair I should have to come up in the winter, as it's cold then. Darn...../g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:06 am

The only time I saw the Northern Lights was on a plane. A direct flight from DFW to CDG. It was a redeye flight leaving Dallas around 6:00PM since I work night shift (for 10 years now) I was awake the whole time. I was able to see a flickering but we were over the Atlantic. Kinda cool :thumbsup: I don't think most of the plane noticed though. I would like to get a better view. Maybe some day.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

missing state

Postby rooster » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:40 am

Over Anchorage, AK and to the Kenai Pininsula the last two weeks when the sun was almost set, the northernlights were dancing and moving all over the place in pastle greens, blues and some reds. You could see them shoot accross the sky, then dart back in another direction. It's only September. It does't happen that often this time of year, but it was a treat. Winter time, you came really see them, but you have to dress warm when you go out.

Jim
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:08 am

You know... Joanie is taking me on a trip right after Christmas for about five days. She did give me a hint one time when I was drifting off to sleep... I think she said, "The Northern Hemisphere." She knows that I want to experience Alaska and the Northern Lights. It never dawned on me about no Northern Lights in the summer because of the sun never setting.
I wonder... :thinking:

We are scheduled to be back on the first of Jan. at which time I get to join Kevin on the doorsteps of the public works department for a three day campout so we can get our reservation for Pamplin.

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:30 pm

The early season show that Rooster saw was energized by sun spot activity. Here's a link to Aurora photos, including most recent. www.pbase.com/santa/aurora&page=3 Fred 8)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:28 pm

We can sometimes see the northern lights here in Alberta but we only get the greens. For some reason the other colors don't make it down this far.
catrinka
500 Club

missing state

Postby rooster » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:26 am

Fred, I won't be complete for another month. I'm doing the windows and trying to get the doors installed, the hatch and roof. It would be nice to run up your way and put salt on the bears tail. I heard that's the best way to catch them or maybe that's an eskimo story. A rally up here would really put Alaska on the map.

Dean, Don't just say you'll like to see Alaska, just do it and you can have all the dreams you want about the big fish that got away. Ask Fred he's been there and done that.

Jim, :thumbsup:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

missing state

Postby rooster » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 pm

CutterC, When and if come back to Alaska, you'll enjoy it and so will your family. Kodiak is a nice place to visit, but as for a person like yourself thats in the Coast Guard I think you'll like it. Some people call it the Rock, because the only two ways to get there is by ship or fly.

Hope you get back to Alaska

Jim, :applause:
rooster
Donating Member

Previous

Return to North West