Can I Build a Teardrop?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Can I Build a Teardrop?

Postby Pgrnfarm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:48 am

First post here! I've had the dream of building a teardrop for years. Recently my father gave us his 1938 Ford pickup he restored years ago and I feel this is the time to do a teardrop. My question, can I as a female build a camper myself? I like the look of the "woodie" type campers and feel it would go with the 1938 era truck. I do have carpentry skills, not real good at wiring....could probably learn and have never welded, guess I could get my husband to do that for me! Any advice as to where to start and if it's possible! Thanks
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rbeemer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:01 pm

The question should be why don't you build a teardrop not can you. We have people who have never used a power tool that have built a teardrop.

All that you need is a plan/drawing/design and patience. You will also need the ability to ask questions and read. This site is full of information and questions that people have asked and their answers.

If you start in the design library and utilize sdtripper2's index(links located at the top of the page) will get you off to a good start.

Have fun
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:12 pm

It sounds like building a teardrop would be perfect for you. Yes, I do believe you can! :yes:

Before your start, read as much as you can, here, on the forum. The more you read, the better informed you will be and the better your building choices will be. There is a plethora of good information on this forum and many, many good people to advise and cheer you along the way. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes...........you can build a teardrop, even two. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No prior experience except a good friend showing me how to use various tools and looking at one step at a time. When I was finished I had myself a nice trailer. Then I helped a friend build hers!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pgrnfarm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Barb, Your first picture is exactly what I had in mind! I love that little extra detail in the darker strips of wood. Do you have a "kitchen" in the back. I've also seen some teardrops that have a fold down table on the side of the unit, I like that idea also. I am going to take everyone's advice and start reading and if I ask too many dumb questions, let me know!

Shirley
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Shirley,
Yes..............there is a galley in the back. Have fun planning one for yourself. And this forum is a great place for just about everything you need to know about building a td.

Here's the galley:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doris s. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Barb, Your teardrops are lovely!

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:38 pm

yup, of course you can! Courtney, one of this forum's first members built hers with just a little help from her dad, I believe. We have a number of women who have built all or part of theirs. Joann's Desert Dawg is just another example. Our teardrop was my idea that I talked my husband into. He is the welder, and did the major construction, but we did all the planning jointly and I did ALL the woodwork. I had never done epoxy/fiberglass before, but learned as I went along. My only advice is to be extra careful around radial arm saws. I have been around power tools all my life, but a split second of lack of concentration cost me half my left thumb. But, the teardrop was done by then! My husband also won't let me use hammers, only because I miss too much and put dents in the wood. But am a whiz with a sander. ;)
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pgrnfarm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:51 am

My husband is waaaay ahead of me when it comes to power tools. As a teenager he cut his thumb in shop class on a table saw....12 stitches. Back about 10 years ago while using a large grinder the disc broke and cut his wrist....22 stitches. One year after that, the safety on his air nailer malfunctioned and he put a 3 1/2 nail through his hand....two surgeries later, he's fine!
I'm still in the planning stages that's for sure, but thank you to everyone who has encouraged me!
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:45 am

Pgrnfarm wrote:My husband is waaaay ahead of me when it comes to power tools. As a teenager he cut his thumb in shop class on a table saw....12 stitches. Back about 10 years ago while using a large grinder the disc broke and cut his wrist....22 stitches. One year after that, the safety on his air nailer malfunctioned and he put a 3 1/2 nail through his hand....two surgeries later, he's fine!
I'm still in the planning stages that's for sure, but thank you to everyone who has encouraged me!

You will do well...just keep band-aids around for Mr. Shirley when he wants to help..
:R
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Pgrnfarm » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 am

I might be closer to my dream than I thought! Years ago "Mr Shirley" purchased an old trailer frame that he thought he would fix up for a 4-wheeler trailer. I just remembered it the other night and checked it out in the weeds in the back 40. Rough measurements are 91 x 42, would that work, has fenders and everything! If I knew how to reduce photos for posting I would post a photo!
Am looking for ideas for outside tables that attach to the side of the TD.....any thoughts?
Pgrnfarm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BigAl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

YES, YOU CAN!:D
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Youbetcha!!!

What are you waiting for???

Get out there and BUILD A TEARDROP!!!

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mercy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Begin at the beginning.

I had no building experience whatsoever when I started. None. Zilch. Zip. But I was stubborn enough to try anyway. My logic was: "somebody will stop me before I kill myself." And they did. (stop laughing. you know who you are.) I pulled all kinds of bonehead moves in that build, but it got done, and I came out the other end with experience, new friends, and a nifty trailer to boot.

The question isn't *can* you build a trailer. It's *will* you build a trailer. Even if you don't know what you're doing, or where to start (but starting here puts you ahead of the game...), pick a place and just jump in. Voila, there's your beginning!
-courtney
practice beautiful randomness and act kinda senseless
mercy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bc toys » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:38 pm

thats a small trailer 7'5"x3'6" messure between tires it might a little tight in a 3'6" wide trailer. you can always biuld it bigger then the wheels by raising it up a little above the tires and adding on a longer overhang to the galley or have someone weld you some angle iron for supports. but Yes you can do it
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers