Family Camping Better Homes Book 1961

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Mightydog » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 pm

angib wrote:
MountainBiker wrote:and the women all wear dresses while camping

And their husbands relaxed by taking their jacket off - while, of course, keeping their tie done up, like decent folk did.

MountainBiker wrote:And not only did we walk uphill both ways to and from school, it was in snow up to our elbows.

We used to dream of only having snow up to our elbows......
Four Yorkshiremen sketch (Youtube) - some of you may think this is a Monty Python sketch, but actually it predates that and this is the original.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew! I haven't seen that routine in years! John Cleese before he was in James Bond movies!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 pm

...and Marty Feldman, too!

:dancing

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 am

Also...keep your eyes open for "Ford Treasury of Station Wagon Living" volumes 1 and 2. It's part of a marketing program by Ford to promote station wagon sales. Volume 2 is 1958, sized to fit in the glove compartment on the wagon, don't know about 1. It's some entertaining reading. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:45 am

doug hodder wrote:Also...keep your eyes open for "Ford Treasury of Station Wagon Living" volumes 1 and 2. It's part of a marketing program by Ford to promote station wagon sales. Volume 2 is 1958, sized to fit in the glove compartment on the wagon, don't know about 1. It's some entertaining reading. Doug

How about a teaser http://knittingiris.typepad.com/knitting_iris/2008/05/ford-treasury-o.html
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doris s. » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 pm

I'd love to get a copy of those books. What a hoot.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 pm

I've only got volume 2...but I always keep my eyes peeled for any of these type of camping tomes. I love the ones that have the men walking around with a pipe, and wingtips, of course the women in either dresses or petal pushers and "cats eye" sunglasses....A fellow member on the forum was very generous and "gifted" me this book. It is a permanent fixture in the Nomad. Doug

PS...check the pics that Bob Henry put up...I love the sketch of the guy in the chair...see....he's got a pipe!!!!! I probably won't do the pipe...but about that time...martini's were the popular drink....I got the shaker! Thanks Bob!

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doris s. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:59 am

Maybe I should get me a camping dress with some hi heels and pearls. I've got my eye out for the station wagon too. This would make an awesome get-up for the next teardrop rally. :)
Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets